Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

wife is car shopping...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-11, 11:57 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

A few suggestions for new cars not yet listed:

- Buick Regal
- Ford Focus Titanium sedan
- Ford Fusion Sport
Old 04-20-11, 12:23 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I know you said no Mini Cooper, but how about the Countryman?

I 2nd Caddyowner's suggestions of Buick Regal and Ford Focus.
Old 04-20-11, 12:26 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Ty419
Since you have a Toyota badge as a pic, you could get a CPO Camry Hybrid. They should be in the fuel range that you are talking about and meet all criteria except semi-sporty. They do make that SE version of the Camry that looks a bit more aggressive and I think would qualify as semi-sporty. The red on the SE looks so good...

Not a whole lot of cars are popping into my head that can get 30 mpg, LOL. Like previously mentioned, the TSX and A4 would be good choices. Might want to look into what leases are available on new cars. That might open up some other options, depending on what they are pushing right now.
Good point about the CAmry Hybrid. Scion tC maybe?

Not to many here's liking but we are happy with the loaded HS and you can get crazy deals on new or CPO.

Old 04-20-11, 01:54 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

The volvo c70 was also the first car to come to mind
Old 04-21-11, 05:25 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Not to many here's liking but we are happy with the loaded HS and you can get crazy deals on new or CPO.
I don't see any crazy HS deals on Autotrader or Ebay.......???

If we could pick up a loaded one for the same as a TSX with tech pkg, she may go for that.

For new TSX (leftover 2010s) with tech pkg, I'm looking to get the TSX for about $29K (MSRP is $33K)...
Old 04-21-11, 05:35 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bagwell
I don't see any crazy HS deals on Autotrader or Ebay.......???

If we could pick up a loaded one for the same as a TSX with tech pkg, she may go for that.

For new TSX (leftover 2010s) with tech pkg, I'm looking to get the TSX for about $29K (MSRP is $33K)...
The only new issue I can see if prices have risen due to the quake/gas prices rising. Most HSs are sold at invoice/under invoice depending on your deal. I've noticed one year premium models are around 31k at the dealers here which means under 30k after you haggle. I would visit your Lexus dealer, the HS is not popular with dealers, they might even have 2010s left with substantial discounts!

Acura's tech package is misleading b/c there really is no tech compared to the competition. You get NAV. The HS premium and tech package has more features than ANY Acura at any price. Heads up Display, front camera, radar cruise, heated/cool seats, Remote Touch, semi analine leather, (LED lights are hard to get on the HS though, but no Acura offers that) and you get 35 MPG city. I drove my families last week and was averaging 43 MPG with a good foot. You also get Lexus Enform which Acura has no answer for of course. Hybrid parts warranty is good for 7 years, 100k.

As you stated though Acura is also giving away the TSX too but maybe dealing less as inventory is lower due to the quake.

Old 04-21-11, 05:51 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loaded up, new TSX in your price range seems like a good mix of everything you want while getting a brand new car \ warranty.
Old 04-21-11, 06:06 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

The only new issue I can see if prices have risen due to the quake/gas prices rising. Most HSs are sold at invoice/under invoice depending on your deal. I've noticed one year premium models are around 31k at the dealers here which means under 30k after you haggle. I would visit your Lexus dealer, the HS is not popular with dealers, they might even have 2010s left with substantial discounts!

Acura's tech package is misleading b/c there really is no tech compared to the competition. You get NAV. The HS premium and tech package has more features than ANY Acura at any price. Heads up Display, front camera, radar cruise, heated/cool seats, Remote Touch, semi analine leather, (LED lights are hard to get on the HS though, but no Acura offers that) and you get 35 MPG city. I drove my families last week and was averaging 43 MPG with a good foot. You also get Lexus Enform which Acura has no answer for of course. Hybrid parts warranty is good for 7 years, 100k.

As you stated though Acura is also giving away the TSX too but maybe dealing less as inventory is lower due to the quake.
good info Mike, thanks....but it doesn't look promising....
Attached Thumbnails wife is car shopping...-hs250.jpg  

Last edited by bagwell; 04-21-11 at 06:14 AM.
Old 04-21-11, 06:14 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

gf has a tsx (09) and i really like it, except the seat backs are hard to take for long drives. one thing i like is the huge trunk on it!
Old 04-21-11, 06:17 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

would not spend 8-10k more for the HS........

and since the back seat is small is that an issue? if she has a TT now I would think not?
Old 04-21-11, 06:24 AM
LexFather

I think honestly now is a bad time to buy many cars from Japan with supply low and dealers taking advantage. When we got the HS back in the fall they were giving them away and that was the deal nationwide. They were trying to ditch 2010s before the 2011s arrived. Gas was cheaper then.

Things could have changed. Let me ask around for you, I'll have some info later today. I just looked at my dealer online and they have no HSs when they usually have a few CPO in stock. Hmmmm

Old 04-21-11, 06:25 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by J.P.
would not spend 8-10k more for the HS........

and since the back seat is small is that an issue? if she has a TT now I would think not?
yep, correct on both counts...and back seat is very very seldom used, and usually only for shopping bags.

I think honestly now is a bad time to buy many cars from Japan with supply low and dealers taking advantage. When we got the HS back in the fall they were giving them away and that was the deal nationwide. They were trying to ditch 2010s before the 2011s arrived. Gas was cheaper then.

Things could have changed. Let me ask around for you, I'll have some info later today. I just looked at my dealer online and they have no HSs when they usually have a few CPO in stock. Hmmmm
you may be right with the earthquake issue....but Acura does have leftover new 2010s that I wouldn't mind.

--also, let me know if you find a deal - I work for an airline and can fly for free to go pick up a car (I'm going to Seattle this weekend to pickup a new 737).

Last edited by bagwell; 04-21-11 at 06:29 AM.
Old 04-21-11, 08:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Scion tC maybe?
The 2011 tC is fun to drive, with a fair amount of power, sharp handling, and a well-done chassis by Toyota standards, but the interior, IMO, is excessively cheap.....almost to the point of being an insult. It's certainly not something I'd want to live with as a daily-driver. Older tCs were a little nicer inside, but not as sporty in the powertrain or chassis, unless you had the dealer-installed TRD supercharger.
Old 04-21-11, 09:24 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The 2011 tC is fun to drive, with a fair amount of power, sharp handling, and a well-done chassis by Toyota standards, but the interior, IMO, is excessively cheap.....almost to the point of being an insult. It's certainly not something I'd want to live with as a daily-driver. Older tCs were a little nicer inside, but not as sporty in the powertrain or chassis, unless you had the dealer-installed TRD supercharger.
she hates the older tC which I think is another perfect car for her; I told her its been re-styled (well, sort of)....but I haven't been able to point one out to her yet.
Old 04-21-11, 10:57 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
good info Mike, thanks....but it doesn't look promising....
my my how things quickly change :-)

Quick Reply: wife is car shopping...