Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Do you agree?
Yes, looking at Corolla and new Jetta sales
23.33%
Some are looking for both
16.67%
No, more are looking for styling and sportiness
6.67%
Price is the determining factor more than anything
53.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

New York 2011: Nissan says subcompact buyers aren't looking for styling, sportiness

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-11, 06:04 AM
LexFather

Post New York 2011: Nissan says subcompact buyers aren't looking for styling, sportiness

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/21/n...g-and-sportin/

After Nissan unveiled its redesigned 2012 Versa sedan at the New York Auto Show yesterday, coverage was almost unanimous in declaring it, at best, inconspicuous. David Reuter, Nissan's VP of Corporate Communications, tells Autoblog that's fine:

"The Fiesta may have been getting the press, this is what was selling. We were up 20 percent last year. Our competitors have gone for sporty and styling, but that's not what these buyers want. Subcompact buyers want a dependable, roomy car with good fuel economy, and they want the features and specs to feel they spent a lot more on a car than they did."

The formula, inconspicuous as it might be, has worked: Nissan moved 99,705 Versa sedans and hatchbacks in 2010, running away from everything else in the class – next were the Honda Fit with 54,354, the Hyundai Accent with 51,975, and the Chevrolet Aveo with 48,623 units sold. Say what you will about the looks, with a segment-leading 103 cubic feet of room in the 2012 Versa and more standard features at a competitive price point, the momentum will likely continu

Old 04-22-11, 06:56 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! If that is the new Versa sedan, then i am very impressed. Even though they are saying that subcompact buyers are not looking for styling, that is a very good looking car - very mature and Infinitiesque, IMO.
Old 04-22-11, 06:56 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Sure... although would it have killed them to have more eye-pleasing design? looks like Echo sedan from 2000.
Old 04-22-11, 07:16 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

and the reasons they sell 99,000 a year...

1. rental cars
2. $9900 price tag
Old 04-22-11, 08:34 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

subcompact buyers aren't looking for styling, sportiness............I agreed.

A car to the the majority of car buying general public is nothing but an appliance, for them a car is like a refrigerator or a stove, they only care about feature, size and most importantly price. Even longevity and reliability is secondary, most people just want something cheap.

The one thing most car guys failed to realized is, the percentage of car enthusiast in the general public is very small. Everyone we associate with is a car enthusiast, so we think everyone care about car. That is totally wrong.

Just look at the percentage of cars sold to enthusiasts vs. the total vehicle sold. The % is very low.
Old 04-22-11, 09:38 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, most buyers are not looking for edgy styling or a sportiness. Both are alienating to the average consumer. Only a niche group of consumers care about that.

Furthermore, price is a HUGE factor in subcompact (and compact) sales, as well as practicality and reliability.

The Jetta and Corolla are compacts, just to point out, not subcompacts.

With that said, that new Versa sedan is just plain hideous . Looks like a balloon on wheels.
Old 04-22-11, 06:21 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

selling that many cars, they know what they're doing.
Old 04-22-11, 07:55 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

This new Versa actually looks very good.
Old 04-22-11, 07:56 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

As a proud sub-compact owner I'll give my perspective.

Here's my list of priorities and considerations in order when choosing a sub-compact:

1) Long term reliability
2) Fuel Efficiency
3) Styling
5) Price/value
6) Interior space
7) Comfort
8) Standard features
9) Power
10) Driving dynamics

I have to say that Nissan's statement holds some truth but certainly not with all. Every buyer is different but clearly Nissan's formula is working as seen in their sales domination in this segment. Personally, I think the current Versa is flawed in many ways and am not sure how it has commanded so many sales. It's ugly, isn't nearly as efficient as the leaders, not as reliable, ect... My best guess is that it offers the biggest interior (supposedly near mid-size passenger volume). Although the Fit can swallow the most cargo.

Last edited by -J-P-L-; 04-22-11 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-22-11, 08:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Sure... although would it have killed them to have more eye-pleasing design? looks like Echo sedan from 2000.
I'm not sure what you guys got in Europe, but it sure doesn't look, to me, like the Echo sedan we got here in the States.

Old 04-22-11, 09:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The formula, inconspicuous as it might be, has worked: Nissan moved 99,705 Versa sedans and hatchbacks in 2010, running away from everything else in the class
It is not surprising that the previous Versa sold well. Nissan asked pretty much the same prices that the Fit, Fiesta, Aveo, Yaris, higher-line Accents/Rios, and some other subcompact cars were getting, but, in some ways, gave you more for your money. The Versa was slightly larger...which gave you (more or less) a compact car at a sub-compact price. One of the lifeguards at the pool I regularly swim at bought a new Versa hatchback last year (partly on my recommendation), and he loves it.
Old 04-22-11, 09:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
Personally, I think the current Versa is flawed in many ways and am not sure how it has commanded so many sales.

My best guess is that it offers the biggest interior (supposedly near mid-size passenger volume). Although the Fit can swallow the most cargo.
See my last post above....you hit on a good part of the reason. It basically offers a compact-sized car at a sub-compact price. Car-buyers perceive it as value. It also has had, according to Consumer Reports, a decent repair record (average), though not up to the level of the Fit and Yaris in reliability.
Old 04-24-11, 09:11 AM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Their strategy is spot on.. Not only that, but remember that Nissan also has the other end of the spectrum covered by the Cube, which is def. a car that has style over substance (Still not sporty tho.)
Old 04-24-11, 09:28 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Subcompact buyers in US are looking for bigger car with subcompact price :P
Old 04-24-11, 04:36 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

$9,900 for a new Japanese sedan......although it have no power door or power window <--that is one less thing for repair. They seem to be the most expensive repair cost for the 8 year I have witht eh 2000 corolla!!

Quick Reply: New York 2011: Nissan says subcompact buyers aren't looking for styling, sportiness