Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The '12 Camry a no show at the NY Car Show

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-11, 09:32 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a total letdown .

Many expected the Camry to debut in Detroit earlier this year, and that did not happen, neither did a Chicago debut. Everyone was expecting a debut in NY. Even Jim Lentz heavily implied that the new Camry would debut in NY.

Delaying the debut of the new Camry because of rumored design changes makes zero sense. The design inside and out is already frozen because at the Kentucky plant they have already built pilot cars.

Delaying the introduction due to what happened in Japan is a possibility, but that makes no sense to me either. Toyota could simply delay when the production model hits dealers if parts supplies are an issue. They could have still debuted the car in NY, and told the public the Camry is hitting dealers late this year, or something like that. That is unless they delayed the Camry hitting dealers until early next year, which would be a big shame. That means we might not see the debut until the LA auto show late this year.

In any case, Toyota is starved for new product, and this is not helping the matter. Toyota debuted two concepts here in NY, and that's all well and good, but they didn't debut a single PRODUCTION car.
Old 04-22-11, 09:32 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
As I understand (directly from the horse's mouth, per se), when Toyota showed dealers the 2012 Camry, they were not impressed and told Toyota to go back to the drawing board. If what I've heard is right, the front and rear ends of the car were not immediately discernible as "all new" from the current car. A few more tweaks to the headlights, grille, bumpers and tail lights were mentioned as ways to change the appearance, but pushed the launch of the car back a few months.

I also heard that it was to debut in NY but that was before dealers gave the car poor reviews and said, "This won't work," sending Toyota back for changes.
This. It was pushed back due to dealer feedback. I hope Toyota really shows they are back on the ball with quality and features and class leading MPG. The car can be bland, once its not ugly, that is not an issue. ITs a Camry.

I mean does it really matter if it debuts or not, we know whats going to happen.
1. Its a Camry, its a Toyota, it will be bashed to death
2. It will continue to sell and be #1 and make owners very happy

The media celebrated the Altima beating the Camry for one month since the Altima debuted in 1992. Then it has a coupe as well. Then if one investigates, Nissan was throwing money to no end to sell cars last month.

Now if the Camry is getting beat every month for a few months, that is a trend and shows there is an issue.

But hey its the Camry. When its #1 in a comparison and beats the new Sonata, Altima etc etc the internet stages protests that it is impossible.

Old 04-22-11, 09:35 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
As I understand (directly from the horse's mouth, per se), when Toyota showed dealers the 2012 Camry, they were not impressed and told Toyota to go back to the drawing board. If what I've heard is right, the front and rear ends of the car were not immediately discernible as "all new" from the current car. A few more tweaks to the headlights, grille, bumpers and tail lights were mentioned as ways to change the appearance, but pushed the launch of the car back a few months.

I also heard that it was to debut in NY but that was before dealers gave the car poor reviews and said, "This won't work," sending Toyota back for changes.
read my post above.
Old 04-22-11, 09:35 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
What a total letdown .

Many expected the Camry to debut in Detroit earlier this year, and that did not happen, neither did a Chicago debut. Everyone was expecting a debut in NY. Even Jim Lentz heavily implied that the new Camry would debut in NY.

Delaying the debut of the new Camry because of rumored design changes makes zero sense. The design inside and out is already frozen because at the Kentucky plant they have already built pilot cars.

Delaying the introduction due to what happened in Japan is a possibility, but that makes no sense to me either. Toyota could simply delay when the production model hits dealers if parts supplies are an issue. They could have still debuted the car in NY, and told the public the Camry is hitting dealers late this year, or something like that. That is unless they delayed the Camry hitting dealers until early next year, which would be a big shame. That means we might not see the debut until the LA auto show late this year.

In any case, Toyota is starved for new product, and this is not helping the matter. Toyota debuted two concepts here in NY, and that's all well and good, but they didn't debut a single PRODUCTION car.
Old 04-22-11, 09:37 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
What a total letdown .

it would be good for us lookers but people on the fence would then postpone Camry purchase... And really does not make sense to introduce car without knowing when will you sell it.
Old 04-22-11, 09:40 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
it would be good for us lookers but people on the fence would then postpone Camry purchase... And really does not make sense to introduce car without knowing when will you sell it.
If it's shown,people may wait for it's release instead of buying a competitor's car.
Old 04-22-11, 09:49 AM
LexFather

Most buyers in this segment don't care. They are not waiting for a new Camry. They do not follow cars like we do. They see an ad on TV or in a mag and think "oh wow a new car" or they see one on a street and get curious.

These are pedestrian, mainstream cars. ALL of them. With the internet, it makes people impatient. We expect a car to debut all the time. With so many forums, blogs, news outlets etc etc it makes people expect something to happen everytime they refresh.

I will agree with Joe and TRD to US it is somewhat disappointing we didn't get to see the new Camry but to the world, they aren't aware.

If anything I think the Scion FR-S stole the show. Lexus hyped up the GS design but to me the real design is the FR-S. That is what people are talking about on the internet, not the GS.

Old 04-22-11, 09:49 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Toyota knows when they can sell it. They just announced worldwide production will reach pre-earthquake levels by November or December. I am sure that Toyota knows exactly when they can sell the new Camry, they just aren't talking about it.

It was in the news recently that some people actually think Toyota has closed down temporarily due to what happened in Japan. Toyota is very sad that people think this.

Toyota needs some excitement and hype right now. I can understand Akio Toyoda does not want to overhype any future products, but if they have no major production debuts until the LA auto show, Toyota (and Lexus) will really hurt this year. Not just because of lower production levels for a few months, but because of lack of new product.
Old 04-22-11, 09:52 AM
LexFather

TRD I don't know if Toyota cares. I think they just care about building damn good cars even if the lineup is dull, once it sells. This is evident with them badging that gorgeous FR-S a Scion and not a Toyota.

Unless the plan is to sell both which would help spread costs with Suburu and give Toyota TWO sporty cars in the corporate portfolio.

Old 04-22-11, 09:57 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Most buyers in this segment don't care. They are not waiting for a new Camry. They do not follow cars like we do. They see an ad on TV or in a mag and think "oh wow a new car" or they see one on a street and get curious.

These are pedestrian, mainstream cars. ALL of them. With the internet, it makes people impatient. We expect a car to debut all the time. With so many forums, blogs, news outlets etc etc it makes people expect something to happen everytime they refresh.

I will agree with Joe and TRD to US it is somewhat disappointing we didn't get to see the new Camry but to the world, they aren't aware.

If anything I think the Scion FR-S stole the show. Lexus hyped up the GS design but to me the real design is the FR-S. That is what people are talking about on the internet, not the GS.
Good point. Most of the general public doesn't care or doesn't know until they see a commercial for a new car or the car at dealers.

A Camry debut would have mainly been for auto industry followers and enthusiasts, and that is disappointing we didn't get it in NY.

TRD I don't know if Toyota cares. I think they just care about building damn good cars even if the lineup is dull, once it sells. This is evident with them badging that gorgeous FR-S a Scion and not a Toyota.

Unless the plan is to sell both which would help spread costs with Suburu and give Toyota TWO sporty cars in the corporate portfolio.
Well obviously Toyota cared about something, enough to not debut the Camry in NY. A simple explanation would have been nice, or even an interview to some auto journalists would have been nice explaining the no show of the Camry.

While disappointing the FR-S will be a Scion in North America, we still all know it's a Toyota. Scion is sold at Toyota dealers anyways, so I'm sure the public will "get it" as well.
Old 04-22-11, 01:33 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Well,a person at the show said that the '11 Camry models are on display.

When he asked about the '12 Camry,the Toyota folks at the show told him that Toyota was having troubles with the new Camry and that it would not be unveiled until sometime in September
Old 04-22-11, 01:57 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 114 Posts

This is what I have in mind. We might see a new sporty toyota (such as Celica?) or even a turbo Supra in this body style later on...

Also, Toyota tends to use the Texas fair (or some show like that) to debut new product. We might see the Camry by then.....
Old 04-22-11, 02:43 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

This waiting game is certainly sucking but I guess Toyota has good reason for it.

What big auto shows are coming up? Anyone know? Maybe that will be it.

Another point is how this coincides with the Yaris. The sedan has yet to be revealed even though the liftback surfaced way back in October. Thing is, the Camry went on sale before the Yaris pair in '06 as '07 models. So it stands to reason that the new Camry would come out before the new Yaris. It also makes sense that the Camry be the lead car for new Toyota design since the styling is often consistent throughout Toyota's car lineup. But who knows, after all, the Yaris came out in 2006 in other markets.

Old 04-22-11, 02:47 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Well,a person at the show said that the '11 Camry models are on display.

When he asked about the '12 Camry,the Toyota folks at the show told him that Toyota was having troubles with the new Camry and that it would not be unveiled until sometime in September
That would be really odd considering it should be on dealer lots in September as most 2012's will be. Even if Toyota can't produce it on time, they should at least have pre-production prototypes built simply to show prospective buyers and enthusiasts. Otherwise, they might lose them to Sonata's, Accord's, Fusion's, and Altima's.
Old 04-22-11, 03:23 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
This waiting game is certainly sucking but I guess Toyota has good reason for it.

What big auto shows are coming up? Anyone know? Maybe that will be it.

Another point is how this coincides with the Yaris. The sedan has yet to be revealed even though the liftback surfaced way back in October. Thing is, the Camry went on sale before the Yaris pair in '06 as '07 models. So it stands to reason that the new Camry would come out before the new Yaris. It also makes sense that the Camry be the lead car for new Toyota design since the styling is often consistent throughout Toyota's car lineup. But who knows, after all, the Yaris came out in 2006 in other markets.

Yaris was introduced in Japan in 2005.

Quick Reply: The '12 Camry a no show at the NY Car Show