Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Interesting story inside (SLS content)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-11, 09:19 AM
LexFather

Unhappy Interesting story inside (SLS content)

So while I didn't do nearly as well as Lil4x staying off here for 40 days I was off around 30 and had a some interesting car related things happen with me.

One of these is this story below.....to make a long story short these Mercedes SLS were being delivered on a carrier truck when the truck hoping to avoid an accident lost control and the SLS's went flying off the truck So they ended up here and Mercedes is unsure of what to do with them since these are bespoke cars and can't just be fixed like a normal Mercedes. One was a special edition model to be used for the track (the white one).

I didn't share the story here but did with my buds on MB world, a forum I've been a member of for years and even have done co events with them in the past, a great forum with some great people, like here. I shared the story there but I didn't take pics of the cars originally b/c I figured my word was good. Most everyone there believed the story except one guy who went completely bonkers that it was a lie and I was rude to lie about it there.

So yall know me, my word is good and I went back to take pics which I have now shared there. I won't link that thread but that made this SLS story that was interesting more interesting.

Its really a sad sight to see I hope Mercedes can find a way to fix them, incredible vehicles.

Car still started up...sounded ferocious!

Old 04-26-11, 09:27 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How sad!!!
Old 04-26-11, 10:16 AM
JDMJNKY
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow...I wonder what the insurance claim figure will be to the carrier company. Definitely a sad sight to see. Were just those 3 cars damaged?
Old 04-26-11, 10:36 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

You should sell these pictures to worldcarfans, there always looking for wrecked exotics and you have 3 :P
Old 04-26-11, 11:40 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I dunno about this one Mike, sounds pretty far fetched. I'll actually go as far to say:

why do I feel that this is the biggest lie ever

No no no no . Not one wrecked SLS ( I would have believed it if it was only one), but 4 wrecked in the same garage

COMMON MAN BE REALISTIC

You probably have never seen an SLS before

Go take your lies somewhere else

That is surprising that more than one SLS would be on the same carrier though. Way too much of a risk to take and this story shows why.
Old 04-26-11, 11:57 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Very sad story. Also I have to say, that is a very risky way the SLS models were being transported. Aren't cars of this class usually transported separately or individually?
Old 04-26-11, 12:24 PM
Alucard
Pole Position

I've seen pictures of that white one before (pre accident). My autistic seven year old said "cool car" upon seeing it.

Sad
Old 04-26-11, 12:34 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm surprised that MB might be considering destroying the vehicles. I mean, obviously there is a lot of damage and I could understand that they don't want to repair them if there is significant structural damage to the chassis, but I would hope that one of the benefits of even an all-aluminum body is that it's easier to repair than carbonfiber.

Based on the livery, at least one was headed to the AMG driving school. I hope they got a replacement in there for all the participants - that would be a real bummer to go to the program and not get to experience the SLS because of this.
Old 04-26-11, 12:38 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a complete douchebag.

Happily joined the new thread and mentioned as much.
Old 04-26-11, 03:01 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

As a member of MB World, I will say a lot of the members are tool's especially the kids that bought a c230 for 12k and now they think there hot isht. In your case a tool from Qatar.
Old 04-26-11, 03:22 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Pretty ironic, I saw these cars when my girlfriends car was in the shop, I don't understand all the sad comments, they are just cars, easily replaced, interesting thread on mbworld, never realized who started it until this one
Old 04-26-11, 05:47 PM
DrDrilZ
Lead Lap

which body shop mike?
Old 04-26-11, 08:25 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I saw photos like these when the GTR was first released. Whats scary is that they will probably repair them and sell them.
Old 04-26-11, 08:42 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
What a complete douchebag.

Happily joined the new thread and mentioned as much.
Saw you there

Originally Posted by DrDrilZ
which body shop mike?
I'll PM you

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I saw photos like these when the GTR was first released. Whats scary is that they will probably repair them and sell them.
Where? The SLS wasn't released when the GT-R was, how did you see pics of SLS production cars in an accident? Please show us the pics. The first documented SLS crash was on June of 2010.
http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/f...ash-2010-06-17
They are not going to repair and sell them but likely will be crushed sadly. They seem headed to the scrapper. Benz doesn't know what to do yet so they are sitting there for around 2 months.

Old 04-27-11, 12:02 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Mercedes SLS were being delivered on a carrier truck when the truck hoping to avoid an accident lost control and the SLS's went flying off the truck
could you imagine the poor driver?
I hope there's a camera on board to show that it wasn't the driver's fault-for his own sake.

too bad that by instinct you swerve to avoid an accident instead of ramming that idiot who cut you off.
in most cases where the semi's swerve, jack knife, huge oil/gas spill....big ol me$$, b/c of some stupid driver cutting him off (I see it daily on the freeway)

I still don't believe you until you sit one of the sls with a sign that reads "Up yours"

Quick Reply: Interesting story inside (SLS content)