Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Review: 2011 Kia Optima

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-11, 06:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetfire
I do really like the optima. looks like a pretty solid car to buy. more competition in the midsize sedan market is always good. nice review.

Thanks. It will be interesting to see how it compares to the new Buick Regal, with which it is very similiar to.
Old 04-27-11, 06:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by metalgear
Great review!
Thanks.

I'm in Korea right now and I see this car everyday. Most of them are taxi's though . But I really like how it looks. Kia did a great job with this car.
Well, if cab drivers can make money wth the Optima, it shows that it is at least reasonably reliable, and stays out of the shop.
Old 04-27-11, 07:32 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks.

No sense buying a Kia (or any other new car) right now if you don't need or want one.

I agree that the steering wheel would look better with three spokes instead of four. But, nevertheless, the LX non-leather-stitched version is comfortable to hold (I didn't try the leather-wrapped one), and its firm, butter-smooth steering feel is like that of a BMW.

Mike,I should have been clearer but I was talking about the rims.
The double stitching of the leather seats.
Even if I was in the market for a car,I don't think I would go KIA or Hyundai....yet.
Old 04-27-11, 08:24 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Mike,I should have been clearer but I was talking about the rims.
The double stitching of the leather seats.
Even if I was in the market for a car,I don't think I would go KIA or Hyundai....yet.
Joe, I'm in the same boat as you. When I was shopping for a daily driver recently, the new Elantra and Kia Forte 5 door were among the finalists, but in the end I didn't pull the trigger on either one Maybe next time.
Old 04-27-11, 08:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kostamojen
I saw one of the Turbo's in the "rally blue" color yesterday, looks fantastic.
That bright-blue color, unfortunately, is only available on the top-line SX model.....a needless restriction, IMO. I complained about that in the review.
Old 04-27-11, 08:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The squared dash reminds me of several last generation GM full size trucks. I think it could be more modern and carlike.
I'll respect your opinion, but I can't agree with it. Those old GM cracker-jack plastic interiors, especiallly on the trucks, were pure junk. The Optima's interior uses far nicer materials.
Old 04-27-11, 08:44 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Joe, I'm in the same boat as you. When I was shopping for a daily driver recently, the new Elantra and Kia Forte 5 door were among the finalists, but in the end I didn't pull the trigger on either one Maybe next time.
Hi Bob.
I looked at the Elantra at the show and it's looks good.Especially in the high trim at a nice cost.
Yep,still tough to pull the trigger on any Hyundai/KIA.
Old 04-27-11, 09:34 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,419 Likes on 1,584 Posts

thanks for the review. great car. pretty unbelievable value.
Old 04-27-11, 09:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
thanks for the review. great car. pretty unbelievable value.
If I was in the market for a good FWD sedan under 25K, this would likely be my first choice right now. The Buick Regal is also promising, but sells in a slightly higher price-bracket. I plan to check out a Regal soon.
Old 04-27-11, 10:23 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My observation regarding the Regal when physically comparing all the cars that compete (including Optima/Sonata/Camry/Accord/Fusion), rear seat headroom was marginal or inadequate for average to tallish passengers. The rest of the cars were at least adequate in terms or rear seat headroom and most better than adequate.

The Regal in a slightly higher price bracket will face challenges with its standard 4 banger engine (most road tests have noted low power combined with coarse NVH).
Old 04-27-11, 10:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
My observation regarding the Regal when physically comparing all the cars that compete (including Optima/Sonata/Camry/Accord/Fusion), rear seat headroom was marginal or inadequate for average to tallish passengers. The rest of the cars were at least adequate in terms or rear seat headroom and most better than adequate.

The Regal in a slightly higher price bracket will face challenges with its standard 4 banger engine (most road tests have noted low power combined with coarse NVH).
The new Regal is amazingly similiar to the new Optima, though, in a number of ways. Both have (roughly) the same general size and shape, 4-door-only sedan bodies, 2.4L N/A and 2.0L Turbo fours, 6-speed SportShift automatics, a lack of a V6 option, a more handling-oriented chassis than their predecessors....even the same-shaped steering wheel. They are almost like two peas in a pod. The only real differences that I can see, right up front, are the shorter GM warranty, the upcoming Optima Hybrid with no Regal hybrid equivalent, and the Buick's slightly higher price-bracket.....but I'll save any further comments until after I've fully-checked out the Regal. It should be an interesting comparison.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-27-11 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-27-11, 10:58 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The new Regal is amazingly similiar to the new Optima, though, in a number of ways. Both have (roughly) the same general size and shape, 4-door-only sedan bodies, 2.4L N/A and 2.0L Turbo fours, 6-speed SportShift automatics, a lack of a V6 option, a more handling-oriented chassis than their predecessors....even the same-shaped steering wheel. They are almost like two peas in a pod. The only real differences that I can see, right up front, are the shorter GM warranty, the upcoming Optima Hybrid with no Regal hybrid equivalent, and the Buick's slightly higher price-bracket.....but I'll save any further comments until after I've fully-checked out the Regal. It should be an interesting comparison.
Yes, should be interesting comparison.

In reality only the Sonata and Optima are similar in terms of design/engineering/shared parts, the other cars have very similar configurations and footprints in a very tight and competitive field.

Another unique difference observed (after sitting in the rear seats of all the competitors in this class of sedan) is the Regal has the least amount of rear seat headroom, being tight for anybody over 5'9".
Old 04-27-11, 10:59 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Another great review Mmarshall

I like the new optima over the sonata.

it definitely came a long way from last model q45 look alike and esp. this one

Old 04-27-11, 01:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Another great review Mmarshall
Thanks.

I like the new optima over the sonata.
I agree. The new Sonata, like the Optima, has some good mechanicals under the skin, but the In-Your-Face styling, inside and out, is just too much for me.
And, even with virtually the same mechanicals, somehow Kia engineers made the Optima, IMO, feel more pleasant to drive.
Old 04-27-11, 01:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,419 Likes on 1,584 Posts

it's pretty neat how the sonata and optima share a lot but look so dramatically different. good way to appeal to different consumers while saving on engineering resources.

Quick Reply: MM Review: 2011 Kia Optima