Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Review: 2011 Kia Optima

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-11, 02:02 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
it's pretty neat how the sonata and optima share a lot but look so dramatically different. good way to appeal to different consumers while saving on engineering resources.
The people at H/K are doing few things wrong these days. They are nailing all of the key points in their new product launches.
Old 04-27-11, 02:29 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the review. Also has a pretty low base price compared to its competitors if im not mistaken?
Old 04-27-11, 02:50 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by lamar411
Thanks for the review. Also has a pretty low base price compared to its competitors if im not mistaken?
more equipment for the similar price... but what do you expect anyway, it is great looking car with great engine... cant be cheap.

Koreans are a steal due to weak Won.
Old 04-27-11, 05:08 PM
Coconut
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 57 Posts

The interior is very audi-esque
Old 04-27-11, 06:43 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Nice review...this car finally brings a sporty look to the typically dull segment. I don't think the Sonata is what I look for in the segment--it's a little overdone without even looking sporty, and IMO may have been designed for the wrong crowd.

If the reliability, comfort and driving dynamics are up to snuff, then this car should become quite popular.
Old 04-27-11, 10:24 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'll respect your opinion, but I can't agree with it. Those old GM cracker-jack plastic interiors, especiallly on the trucks, were pure junk. The Optima's interior uses far nicer materials.
Wasn't talking about dash materials. Was talking about the style/shape. The 1995 GM C/K trucks had a similar blocky design which got worse with the added passenger side airbag (1997), and then even worse with the next redesign (1999?). This dash harks back to that.

Nice review btw.
Old 04-28-11, 09:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by lamar411
Thanks for the review.
Sure. Anytime.

Also has a pretty low base price compared to its competitors if im not mistaken?
Yes. Base LX Manual versions start just under 19K. But option-laded SX models can run in the high-20s to 30K or more.
Old 04-28-11, 09:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Coconut
It's neatly-done, with good materials, but doesn't have the jewel-like Audi dash and door-panel trim. EX and SX models, as one would expect, are trimmed a little nicer inside than the base LX.
Old 04-28-11, 09:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by superchan7
Nice review...
Thanks.

this car finally brings a sporty look to the typically dull segment. I don't think the Sonata is what I look for in the segment--it's a little overdone without even looking sporty, and IMO may have been designed for the wrong crowd.
There's more "sport" to this car than just the looks....even in the lower-line LX model. I personally prefered the slightly softer ride and better rear-vision of the old version, but, outside of that, the new Optima easily trumps the old one in almost every way.

If the reliability, comfort and driving dynamics are up to snuff, then this car should become quite popular.
Apparantly they ARE up to snuff. Turbo models are selling faster than dealers can get them. As I described in the opening part of the review, after locating a couple of EX Turbos locally, I missed out both of them when they were sold before I could even reach the dealerships.
Old 04-28-11, 10:04 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Sure. Anytime.

Yes. Base LX Manual versions start just under 19K. But option-laded SX models can run in the high-20s to 30K or more.
I priced an EX 2.0T with the Technology and Premium packages. List is $29.5k and they say you can get it for $27.5k. As you said the SX can list for nearly $33k with options.
Old 04-28-11, 10:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I priced an EX 2.0T with the Technology and Premium packages. List is $29.5k and they say you can get it for $27.5k. As you said the SX can list for nearly $33k with options.
Are you interested in getting one? If so, it's certainly not a bad way, IMO, to spend your hard-earned automotive dollars. You could do a whole lot worse.
Old 04-28-11, 11:04 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Are you interested in getting one? If so, it's certainly not a bad way, IMO, to spend your hard-earned automotive dollars. You could do a whole lot worse.
No, I'm not in the market for a car. I was just curious about the MSRP on the new model.

The prices are getting up there on the Kia, but as long as people are buying the new model, it's not too high.
Old 04-28-11, 12:15 PM
scgt652
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Coconut
The new Kias do resemble Audis in many ways. Partly because Kia's design chief is Peter Schreyer. He used to work for Audi. He is credited with designing the Audi TT.
Old 04-28-11, 04:15 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by scgt652
The new Kias do resemble Audis in many ways. Partly because Kia's design chief is Peter Schreyer. He used to work for Audi. He is credited with designing the Audi TT.
There was a great article on him in CAR recently (or maybe it was EVO). He only wears black (easier to travel) and he discussed the cultural differences and how he was able to create something new. It was a great read.

Old 04-29-11, 08:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Next planned MM review: 2011 Buick Regal, which is very similiar to the Optima in many ways, though built by a different manufacturer. It's going to be an interesting comparison.

Quick Reply: MM Review: 2011 Kia Optima