Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Review: 2011 Kia Optima

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-11, 06:44 PM
adamaoc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice review! I really do like this new Optima

[/URL]

Last edited by LexFather; 05-13-11 at 10:41 PM.
Old 05-13-11, 07:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by adamaoc
it's mine. Published on [
my original content and original photos.
Thanks. Nice job. The more good reviews we get on CAR CHAT, the better.

The only part I disagreed with was the statement that American-badged mid-sized sedans can't compete with the established foreign-badges. The Ford Fusion and Chevy Malibu are both excellent cars, and have done a pretty good job lately of breaking into this field. The Camry, Accord, and Altima still dominate, but not to the extent they used to.

But back to the Altima.....like you, I think it will be a sales-success if people will just go to Kia showrooms and try one out. If I were in the market for a new FWD mid-sized car, it would arguably be my first choice right now.....though I also have a very high opinion of the Ford Fusion Hybrid's quality and economy, Chevy Malibu's interior fit-and-finish, and the Honda Accord's superb overall build-quality.

Last edited by LexFather; 05-13-11 at 10:40 PM.
Old 05-13-11, 07:46 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Nice review.

I have been seeing a few on the road recently and it is a really nice looking car, much better looking in my opinion then the new Sonata and maybe the nicest looking in its class. Interior has a nice look and design but some of the materials I have read are a little on the cheap side. I would definitely chose the Optima on styling alone over a Sonata but long term reliability, durability, and resale is still up in the air on this car.
Old 05-13-11, 08:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
Nice review.
Thanks. adamaoc posted a good one, too.

I have been seeing a few on the road recently and it is a really nice looking car, much better looking in my opinion then the new Sonata and maybe the nicest looking in its class.
Totally agree.....I find the new Sonata just too awkward-looking for my tastes.

Interior has a nice look and design but some of the materials I have read are a little on the cheap side.
The interior, granted, is not quite as plush-looking, as, say, the competing Chevy Malibu's, but the materials used are certainly not what I would call cheap or flimsy. If you want to see a "cheap" interior in this class, check out a last-generation Dodge Stratus.

long term reliability, durability, and resale is still up in the air on this car.
The previous Optima was reasonably reliable, but because of its comparably low sales numbers and low-demand, suffered worse-than-average depreciation. I made a note of that in my review.
Old 05-14-11, 09:10 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The interior looks almost like the new dodge chargers, anyone else see some resemblance or is it just me?
Old 05-14-11, 09:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lamar411
The interior looks almost like the new dodge chargers, anyone else see some resemblance or is it just me?
Not me. I just reviewed a new Charger R/T.