Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Jalopnik: HKS USA closing its doors

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-11, 03:33 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Unhappy Jalopnik: HKS USA closing its doors

saw someone on my facebook news feed posting this news as a status update, but didn't confirm it until i started looking around...

Jalopnik: Aftermarket pioneer HKS USA closing its doors

Citing poor market conditions HKS USA, formerly one of the largest aftermarket JDM performance companies in the country, is ceasing U.S. operations after nearly three decades in business. A letter obtained by Jalopnik shows the company will consolidate its work to Japan.

A letter from HKS to its dealers and vendors went out this afternoon, much to the surprise of companies who have been using HKS parts for decades. The letter blames the move on the slow economic recovery, a shrinking aftermarket, the U.S. Dollar, and the disaster in Japan.

The company will continue to sell parts to the United States, but all operations will be transferred to HKS Co. Ltd. in Japan while HKS USA is folded. Click on the thumbnail to view the full letter.
full letter here

Old 04-28-11, 03:35 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Dang! What a crying shame.
Old 04-28-11, 03:41 PM
LexFather

That is very sad to hear.

Old 04-28-11, 03:48 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

They made stickers, right?
Old 04-28-11, 03:57 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Och
They made stickers, right?
Yes, those stickers gave cops a visual clue that a car was a candidate for a possible fix-it ticket (loud exhaust).
Old 04-28-11, 04:47 PM
Laid_Out
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is why you buy authentic parts...
Old 04-28-11, 08:37 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

sad to hear, but I think it will have little impact considering their parts will still be available from Japan. Working at a company that has them set up as one of our vendors, I can tell you that HKS USA does not make it easy to buy from them, and their customer service is horrible, both to their resellers, and to the individual customer. If the company was run better, I'm sure they wouldn't feel the urge to close shop in the US.

cliffs: the market is bad, but they also brought this on themselves
Old 04-28-11, 10:29 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

A bit sad, but can't say I'm too surprised. HKS USA was not the same as HKS Japan in terms of customer service and how the company was run. If you want real HKS parts, you can still order from Japan.
Old 04-29-11, 08:39 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

That's a shame. I've always liked their products.

I'll just have to overnight their stuff from Japan the next time Harry puts my order for NOS in....
Old 04-29-11, 10:52 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by replica
sad to hear, but I think it will have little impact considering their parts will still be available from Japan. Working at a company that has them set up as one of our vendors, I can tell you that HKS USA does not make it easy to buy from them, and their customer service is horrible, both to their resellers, and to the individual customer. If the company was run better, I'm sure they wouldn't feel the urge to close shop in the US.

cliffs: the market is bad, but they also brought this on themselves
Wow sad to hear, when I was the purchaser @ Stillen 10 years ago HKS was quite the opposite!
Old 04-29-11, 12:11 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

HKS USA is just like JIC USA. They carry the name, but they're not really associated with their counterparts in Japan.
Old 04-29-11, 01:31 PM
Redpaste
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Laid_Out
this is why you buy authentic parts...
Old 04-29-11, 01:37 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

WOW! Thats a major tuning house falling. Sign of the times.
Old 04-29-11, 03:24 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's the trend with most of the legit companies from Japan, other countries as well. People complain about prices and whether they are worth it or not compared to cheaper brands. These individuals have every right to, I understand each person has their own budgets. I'm not saying knock-offs are 100% of the problem (status of the economy, weakening US dollar as elements). A lot of people that do complain about the price differences do not account for all the R&D these manufacturers have put in their parts. Then to have a another company build replicas off of all their hard work does not benefit the at all.

For all those that believe that all HKS parts that are currently offered here in the states will still be available after the leave of HKS USA, think again. Some parts were exclusive to the states, whether or not HKS decides to keep manufacturing these parts in Japan will be determined. For example, sources say the HKS 4" Ti for the Supra was exclusively for the states. I lucked out and bought one before the change.

Keep your fingers crossed, hope all goes well.
Old 04-29-11, 07:11 PM
LexFather

I wonder if they truly believe there is a shrinking aftermarket. Clearly if car brands don't make sporting cars, HKS has a harder time finding enthusiasts to sell parts too.

Quick Reply: Jalopnik: HKS USA closing its doors