Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why I drive SUV's.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-11, 10:09 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face Why I drive SUV's.

Took my dog out at 11 pm last night with nothing on the ground for snow....and this is what I woke up to. Apparently, winter is not going to end this year. The joys of living the beautiful mountain life that we do.
Attached Thumbnails Why I drive SUV's.-canmorewinter2.jpg   Why I drive SUV's.-canmorewinter.jpg  
Old 04-29-11, 10:33 AM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

oh my,,,snow in end of April,,
Old 04-29-11, 10:35 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hot damn, we are basically in May and its still snowing in Canadia?
Old 04-29-11, 10:51 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Great pics, but we had way more snow in CA (in areas near Lake Tahoe this year). Some people entered homes via 2nd story windows after digging down.
Old 04-29-11, 11:37 AM
LexFather

Hot dog that is a lot of blow.....errr snow

Old 04-29-11, 11:43 AM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who needs SUV's for snow?

Old 04-29-11, 03:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Kostamojen
Who needs SUV's for snow?
Exactly.

My Outback has gone through a foot and a half of snow on the road......and laughed at it. Imprezas, though, have good traction for a few inches of it, but don't have the Outback's ground clearance for the deep stuff.

However, give CDROCKIES the benefit of the doubt here. There may be reasons why he needs a larger, more conventional SUV than simply a small AWD product. He may need to do substantial towing, carry more people/cargo, or occasionally go off-road.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-29-11 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-29-11, 03:34 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

5 inches with an inch of ice and thunder storms (yep, while snowing) last Wednesday here.... but... about to throw on 4 racks of ribs and it's 63 on the deck in the sun... mmmmmmm, beer.....
Old 04-29-11, 04:33 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I love SUV's. I learned to drive on one, and love the utility, commanding view and I could care less about gas mileage. Don't like it, don't drive one. Love the big bruisers!!
Old 04-29-11, 06:34 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

I hate suvs... Drove one as a first auto, then sold it and bought a IS350 at age 18 and never looked back. The view is a benefit of suvs, but who needs to see too far ahead when you are ahead of all the tall vehicles.
Old 04-29-11, 07:10 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I've always driven sedans, but when i get a chance to drive an suv, usually an lx, 4runner, or rx, i love it. If you have kids who do a lot of activities, suv's are perfect, to be honest the only real downfall of suv's is the handling, but if you own one, you should know it can't and shouldn't be driven like a car. Gas mileage for me isn't really an issue
Old 04-29-11, 08:07 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Great pics, but we had way more snow in CA (in areas near Lake Tahoe this year). Some people entered homes via 2nd story windows after digging down.
You're dreamin' S.

That was a pic from this morning. Considering we had zero snow the night before, and it's pretty much May, that's pretty good accumulation for 8 hours.

The near record snowfall that we've had over the course of the season is handily more than that bunny hill Tahoe.

A bunch of my employees just got back from Tahoe/Big Bear/Coachella and it just doesn't compare to what we're spoiled with up here.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Exactly.

My Outback has gone through a foot and a half of snow on the road......and laughed at it. Imprezas, though, have good traction for a few inches of it, but don't have the Outback's ground clearance for the deep stuff.
Sorry Mike, but there is nothing "luxury" about a Subaru. There are likely more per capita in this region than anywhere I can imagine. Heck, I bet there are a half dozen just in my neighbourhood. I know they are full capable, like all the Audi Quattro's here too, but they just don't measure up at the end of the day.

However, give CDROCKIES the benefit of the doubt here. There may be reasons why he needs a larger, more conventional SUV than simply a small AWD product. He may need to do substantial towing, carry more people/cargo, or occasionally go off-road.
The fact that my SUV's are diesels is part of it. I also like the safety factor. But the main reason for the SUV's aside from the weather is this...our 100 lb fur baby likes her space.
Attached Thumbnails Why I drive SUV's.-keiko055.jpg  
Old 04-29-11, 10:12 PM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

Its been record snowfall here too in the Sierras. It finally stopped in the last week or two. Although I'm sure Canada has more!

And Dogs love Subaru's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lWmeK9H4EU

Sadly, we have hardly any Diesel SUV's in the states...
Old 04-29-11, 10:15 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kostamojen
Its been record snowfall here too in the Sierras. It finally stopped in the last week or two. Although I'm sure Canada has more!

And Dogs love Subaru's

Sadly, we have hardly any Diesel SUV's in the states...
Great commercial.
Old 04-29-11, 10:22 PM
LexFather

Lovely wolf!err dog! What on earth do you feed it? Wow.

Quick Reply: Why I drive SUV's.