Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus dealers feedback to TMC

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-11 | 05:34 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by flipside909
The biggest constraint in my opinion is Japan. TMC/Japan is the one that dictates what they will send to the US. The dealers, regions and HQ express what they want but at the end of the day, Japan has the final say. I hope this changes because the CT is a step in the right direction for fun-to-drive, and from what i'm hearing the GS is another extension of that. The problem is...and I hate to say it...it's too little too late. The competition has tons of momentum whereas Lexus is still getting with the program.
This is absolutely true - I mean, I'm not saying there isn't anyone in the US executive ranks who isn't also wanting the next Camry/Prius, but if you talk to anyone within TMC here or in Japan, it's obvious most of it is coming straight from the top in Japan.

That said, I think the CT isn't too little too late. It's obviously been a huge success right now, and a great thing to build on - it will only be too little too late if Lexus doesn't capitalize on it, just the same as if they don't capitalize on the LFA. Lexus has always been a little behind the game compared to other car makers, so I'm willing to hold my breath for some next gen stuff.
Old 05-02-11 | 06:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

lexus has been too little too late for a while already anyway, imho they are already doing quite a lot trying to catch up. the ct is an example. relying on entry level cars for sales is always the case, problem is lexus create too big of a disconnect with the gs, not able to "continue" the owners. just think of the current IS owners, if you talk to them how many of them would want to move to GS down the road? this vs people with C and 3
Old 05-03-11 | 11:54 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
GR series V6 is amazing engine still to date, and imho better overall than anything else on the market even today. I cant wait to see improvements in next-gen GS. Great for MB for improving but still not reaching its levels, and great for BMW for "experimenting" with turbos, GR is still horse to beat overall. I wont even mention VAG V6's... lol.

Very true. Pretty sure Lexus could pull off 335+hp as well as a torque, emissions and economy improvement if they felt inclined from the current 3.5 GR.
Old 05-03-11 | 11:58 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

So when's Toyota going to give their high-end motors the Valvematic technology anyway? Cost should be the less of an issue for their premium cars.
Old 05-03-11 | 12:00 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
lexus has been too little too late for a while already anyway, imho they are already doing quite a lot trying to catch up. the ct is an example. relying on entry level cars for sales is always the case, problem is lexus create too big of a disconnect with the gs, not able to "continue" the owners. just think of the current IS owners, if you talk to them how many of them would want to move to GS down the road? this vs people with C and 3
Hmm...I am not an authority here, but how many people move from a 3 series to a 5 series and then to a 7 series?

I would like to think everybody experiments with the next car purchase.
Old 05-03-11 | 12:06 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chikoo
Hmm...I am not an authority here, but how many people move from a 3 series to a 5 series and then to a 7 series?

I would like to think everybody experiments with the next car purchase.
probably a lot of people move from 3 to 5. but not 7, judging by sales numbers.

5 series is more than enough for most people.
Old 05-03-11 | 12:11 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Does it not get boring? Same looks, same driving?
Old 05-03-11 | 02:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by chikoo
Does it not get boring? Same looks, same driving?
boring? same can be said about lexus, they all drive about the same depending on who you talk to
Old 05-03-11 | 02:49 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ydooby
So when's Toyota going to give their high-end motors the Valvematic technology anyway? Cost should be the less of an issue for their premium cars.
who knows? I guess GS would be best choice if it is viable?

in 1.6l and 1.8l ZR engines it got up to 10% improvement in both fuel consumption and horsepower... But on 2.0l engine it went up only a little since they optimized it for fuel consumption.
Old 05-03-11 | 02:50 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
thats problem with GS, they have to make it more desirable vehicle, like they did in 2006 and 2007, it is definetly not an CTh problem.
Old 05-03-11 | 04:05 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

thats problem with GS, they have to make it more desirable vehicle, like they did in 2006 and 2007, it is definetly not an CTh problem.
biggest problem is that the GS has never had 1.9% financing like the 5 series.
so even if they wanted to move up, they may not have had the means to.
Old 05-03-11 | 04:13 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dunnojack
biggest problem is that the GS has never had 1.9% financing like the 5 series.
so even if they wanted to move up, they may not have had the means to.
obvious solution would to make it so desirable, it doesnt need to have special leases and financing to sell well :-)
Old 05-03-11 | 04:20 PM
LexFather

obvious solution would to make it so desirable, it doesnt need to have special leases and financing to sell well :-)
Well that is his point. The GS sells based on its merits and not b/c you can lease it for cheap. This helps sales monthly but compounds other issues.

Again the GS will likely never sell 4-5k units a month. That is where the IS/ES sell. They said they want to quadruple sales but based on what figure I have no idea.

Seeing how **** poor the M37/56 is selling even with huge rebates and lease deals its not helping the image of the Japanese luxury sports sedan. The RL is am embarrassment in regards to sales.

Lexus once again is putting this segment on its back in regards to Japan with the 4GS.

Once again no one commends the GS for selling better than anything else in this class but the E/5. No other car in this class has sold over 25k units a month like the GS has.

Lexus kept the 2GS from 98-05 with the same engines basically. THe 430 added in 2001 helped sales that year and it tailed off strong afterwards. They promised they would update engines for the 3GS to keep interest. What they rolled out DID NOT work.

2006 GS 430 carryover V-8 which was outgunned
2006 GS 300 new V-6 but no one knew. Best MPG, no one cared.

After on year they CHANGE the engine to the GS 350? What the hell?

2007 GS 350
2007 GS 430

So Lexus now had a V-6 pretty much better than their V-8

They roll out the hybrid, a worlds first but don't advertise it much. Waste the effort but it is a niche model, not a volume car

2007 GS 450h

Then what do they do? Roll out a detuned V-8. WTF?

2008 GS 460

Which has 2 more hp than the hybrid. The LS has 380hp. The competition all bumped their V-8s.

Whomever was the product planner really screwed up.

Last edited by LexFather; 05-03-11 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-03-11 | 04:41 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Although the lexus engines are silky smooth they are a little weak compared to others in their respective classes. Not by much but it matters to a lot of people. I do enjoy the added mpgs though.lol
Old 05-03-11 | 04:46 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

well if you expect customers to pay more to lease 50k GS than $60k 5 series, then it better bet a lot better car than 5 series.

Of course, TMC doesnt care, they want profits from Lexus and not numbers.

Quick Reply: Lexus dealers feedback to TMC