Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus dealers feedback to TMC

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-11, 01:56 PM
Remi
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lexus dealers feedback to TMC

Very interesting!

"Lexus has become too dependent on the RX and other core entry level products such as IS and ES. The LS/LX/GX/GS/SC share of total Lexus sales has dropped from 26.7% in 2007 to 17.5% in 2010"

http://jalopnik.com/#!5797130/how-le...the-luxury-war

Make sure to scroll down and read the leaked notes...
Old 04-29-11, 02:15 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

nice...

good things here, they mention GS launch 9 months away! Also the plan to sell 4x more of them in 2012. Which is not that outrageous, it is return to 2006 levels.
Old 04-29-11, 02:16 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

So we can be sure that GS will be revealed at LA show at latest.
Old 04-29-11, 02:44 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Glad this was leaked out, this puts Toyota under pressure to follow through with the requests.

Everything mentioned is very true and Toyota should go beyond consideration to accommodate.

DIRECT LINK TO FILE OF LEXUS LETTER TO TOYOTA, JAPAN:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/54228371/wmfrontlex

Last edited by G Star; 04-29-11 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-29-11, 02:53 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I share many of the same frustrations as the dealers.

In particular I'm glad they called out Lexus for:
  1. Excessively long product lifecycles of 7 or 8 years instead of consistent 6 year cycles for all products.
  2. Being a follower and not a leader in technology
  3. Failing to share plans (if they exist at all) to offer a competitive powertrain strategy and thereby implying that Lexus powertrains are not good enough
  4. Failure to invest in aspirational models like SC, a more sporty SUV, GS, LS, IS coupe, and excessive reliance on cheap near-luxury models like ES and RX.
  5. Lax CPO Standards relative to BMW and Mercedes
  6. Increasingly unacceptable quality standards

I am curious to hear the reaction of the Lexus Fanboys. TRDFantasy went nuts once when someone suggested Lexus is in bad shape, and 1SICKLEX has recently asserted that Lexus is a technology leader, has great powertrains and that he prefers long 7+ year cycles on luxury cars.

Last edited by *Batman*; 04-29-11 at 03:11 PM.
Old 04-29-11, 03:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I don't see how Lexus dealerships can gripe about the success of their own products. Looks like me like this article was simply written by people who are either in denial of the huge success of the RX and ES, or who simply don't understand it. The fact is that these are the Lexus bread-and-butter cars for a reason. This is the type of vehicle that Lexus built its success on, what the clear majority of its buyers want (no matter what their age). You aren't going to force them to turn to BMWs and Audis when that is not the vehicles they want.

I do agree, though, that Lexus needs to address some falling quality-standards.....and start building cars again like they did in the 1990s'. But, even there, the RX doesn't seem to have shown the quality-drop that some other Lexus models have.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-29-11 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-29-11, 03:14 PM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd consider a Q5/X3 version from Lexus. Sadly there isn't one and may never be.
Old 04-29-11, 03:15 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some very interesting feedback from the dealers, some obviously has merit.
Old 04-29-11, 03:16 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't see how Lexus dealerships can gripe about the success of their own products. Looks like me like this article was simply written by people who are either in denial of the huge success of the RX and ES, or who simply don't understand it.
I think that's missing the point. The point is that for a luxury brand to be strong, there have to be exciting aspirational cars on the streets that draw people to the brand. Mercedes isn't percieved to be a luxury brand because of the C-Class. Acura makes cars like the C-Class. Mercedes is percieved as a luxury brand because people associate them with the S-Class, E-Class, GL, CLS, SLK, E-Class Coupe/Cabrio, etc. If all Mercedes made were Cs and MLs, their reputation would dip quickly.

They are saying that Lexus isn't selling enough real luxury cars to maintain the perception as a luxury brand.

"Lexus has become too dependent on the RX and other core entry level products such as IS and ES. The LS/LX/GX/GS/SC share of total Lexus sales has dropped from 26.7% in 2007 to 17.5% in 2010"
I bet if you looked at that stat in 2003 the percentage would have been in the high 30s.
Old 04-29-11, 03:17 PM
Alucard
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure many will disagree, but I think Lexus' focus on "sport" has been a mistake. The ISF and LFA are truly great, but I would rather see a sub $100K new SC than the LFA however.

The early Lexus cars took the established notions of luxury in a new direction. Now it seems like Lexus is just chasing the Audi-esque sporting vibe.
Old 04-29-11, 03:32 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't see how Lexus dealerships can gripe about the success of their own products. Looks like me like this article was simply written by people who are either in denial of the huge success of the RX and ES, or who simply don't understand it. The fact is that these are the Lexus bread-and-butter cars for a reason. This is the type of vehicle that Lexus built its success on, what the clear majority of its buyers want (no matter what their age). You aren't going to force them to turn to BMWs and Audis when that is not the vehicles they want.

I do agree, though, that Lexus needs to address some falling quality-standards.....and start building cars again like they did in the 1990s'. But, even there, the RX doesn't seem to have shown the quality-drop that some other Lexus models have.
this is just normal stuff really, nothing crazy... when I attended dealer councils in Europe, our tone was a lot lot higher :-).

But it is normal way of doing business - TMC expects excellence from its dealers and it is normal that dealers expect excellence from TMC.
Old 04-29-11, 03:34 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pavelekPL
I'd consider a Q5/X3 version from Lexus. Sadly there isn't one and may never be.
our Lexus Europe president was saying for last 2 years that smaller lexus suv is coming :-).

keep in mind that dealers will not know of future product plans that much in advance.
Old 04-29-11, 03:36 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does this mean that we're going to see Lease specials for more of the Lexus Line-Up, like the LS, GX, and LX? Not to mention that there are Lease Specials for the IS250, but it would be nice to have some for the IS350 and ISF.
Old 04-29-11, 03:37 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by *Batman*
I think that's missing the point. The point is that for a luxury brand to be strong, there have to be exciting aspirational cars on the streets that draw people to the brand. Mercedes isn't percieved to be a luxury brand because of the C-Class. Acura makes cars like the C-Class. Mercedes is percieved as a luxury brand because people associate them with the S-Class, E-Class, GL, CLS, SLK, E-Class Coupe/Cabrio, etc. If all Mercedes made were Cs and MLs, their reputation would dip quickly.

They are saying that Lexus isn't selling enough real luxury cars to maintain the perception as a luxury brand.

I bet if you looked at that stat in 2003 the percentage would have been in the high 30s.
i dont think they care how brand is perceived in a way you do - they want more marketing money and better lease deals for higher priced vehicles as well as solving some issues with availability of such vehicles.

I think they mentioned attractive price for next GS at least 3 times in that letter .
Old 04-29-11, 03:37 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Incredible
Does this mean that we're going to see Lease specials for more of the Lexus Line-Up, like the LS, GX, and LX? Not to mention that there are Lease Specials for the IS250, but it would be nice to have some for the IS350 and ISF.
it means dealers want Lexus to do it, but of course Lexus has to do it from their own pocket .

Quick Reply: Lexus dealers feedback to TMC