Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford is awesome or what? Powershift transmission

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-11, 03:05 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Ford is awesome or what? Powershift transmission

How did I miss this? The econobox Ford fiesta / Focus is shipping with the Ford Powershift transmission which is a Dual Clutch computer controlled Manual transmission , just like the IS-F...neeee BMW.

Unlike regular hydraulically operated automatic transmissions, which use power-sapping torque converters, wet clutches and pumps, Ford’s new dual-clutch PowerShift automatic consists of two manual transmissions (in the same case) working in parallel. Each has its own independent clutch unit controlled by computers and fast-acting electromechanical actuators that shift the gears.

One clutch carries the odd gears, 1, 3 and 5, while the other carries the even gears, 2, 4 and 6, and reverse. PowerShift is an automatic because the gear changes are coordinated by a computer that directs the clutches to engage and disengage in a way that provides seamless delivery of torque to the wheels, even during gear changes.

As a result, the driver benefits from a 10 percent fuel economy gain along with the direct and sporty power-to-the-wheels feel and crisp acceleration normally associated with a manual gearbox, but in a transmission that shifts automatically.

Ford PowerShift’s advanced features include:

Torque Hole Fill: A Ford-developed and patented innovation that eliminates the slight hesitation drivers feel during acceleration when the transmission upshifts into a higher gear. PowerShift sends a smooth, seamless stream of torque to the wheels for uninterrupted acceleration
Hill Start Assist: If sensors detect the Fiesta or Focus on a slope of 5 degrees or more, Hill Start Assist automatically prevents the car from rolling backward in the instant when the driver moves his or her foot from the brake to the accelerator. PowerShift’s computer controls the brake pressure and engine to hold the car in place
Neutral idle: This feature helps improve fuel economy by eliminating the drag a traditional hydraulic transmission puts on the engine when a vehicle is idling
Reduced weight: PowerShift weighs nearly 30 pounds less than the four-speed automatic transmission in the 2011 Focus. Less weight helps improve fuel economy
http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=34218

Kurtz will love this ...I know that!

Last edited by chikoo; 05-01-11 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-01-11, 03:16 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The IS-F has a dsg style trans? Thats news to me.
Old 05-01-11, 03:35 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bad co
The IS-F has a dsg style trans? Thats news to me.
My bad....like the BMW I should say.
Old 05-01-11, 03:47 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

I have tested their Euro Mondeo with PDC and it was nothing special. I guess it is a lot better than 4 speeds? But I have not noticed what journalists are wanking about either.

It might be that these cars are tuned for fuel economy too, so you get slower response.
Old 05-01-11, 04:51 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

ford is packing so much chit into the Focus.

it now has LS460 self park, automatic grille shutters (which supposedly increase aerodynamics or some chit), and now these transmission options.

before some of you turn up your noses- yes, they are not world FIRSTs, because only lexus comes up with the bestest world first premieres, and everyone else sucks........
but they are at least making cool tech available at the lower rung of the ladder sooner than everyone else.
Old 05-01-11, 05:10 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dunnojack
ford is packing so much chit into the Focus.

it now has LS460 self park, automatic grille shutters (which supposedly increase aerodynamics or some chit), and now these transmission options.

before some of you turn up your noses- yes, they are not world FIRSTs, because only lexus comes up with the bestest world first premieres, and everyone else sucks........
but they are at least making cool tech available at the lower rung of the ladder sooner than everyone else.
well actually self park was Prius first, in 2004 (so 7 years ago). So in JDM market, you actually have a lot of cool stuff in small/cheap vehicles too.

As well as in Europe I guess... where you can find small cheap car with factory xenons.

And PDC has nothing to do with Lexus, nor do automatic grille shutters.

But you are right, they are doing it in NA market which is cool and all that matters to americans too.

I think strategy with Focus is that since it is expensive as it is, lets sell it as premium vehicle with some cool options.
Old 05-01-11, 05:12 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

p.s. transmission is still a lot better than single clutch robotized transmissions i tried before, a lot better...
Old 05-01-11, 05:44 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

My only problem with this transmission is the lack of paddle shifters or even a simple +/- shift gate. Instead its just a little toggle switch on the shifter

Old 05-01-11, 06:46 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

are those two tiny buttons from up/down gears?
Old 05-01-11, 07:36 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Sidenote, if this focus has all these features like self park, how much is this thing going to cost?
Old 05-01-11, 07:42 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
exactly my point
Old 05-01-11, 08:03 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the reviews I have read, it seems that the Powershift DCT is still a little clunkier than the old-style torque-converter ATs. But a nice technology still!
Old 05-01-11, 08:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
that is unnecessary baiting, this thread isn't even about lexus. please stop. if you have comments about this, please pm me or another moderator, don't comment here.
Old 05-01-11, 09:52 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

This feature is not getting good press reviews at all. And I'm not impressed with the lack of lever or paddle shifting. (cheapness)
Old 05-01-11, 10:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
I think that's actually one button that just looks like two. On the American-spec Focus I recently reviewed, it had only one button on the side that I remember......which activated a Downhill-Descent-mode, with a small green light on the dash, that helped control your speed while descending grades.

Quick Reply: Ford is awesome or what? Powershift transmission