Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Video: Terrifying V8 Supercar crash on the grid at Barbagallo

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-11, 04:11 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Video: Terrifying V8 Supercar crash on the grid at Barbagallo

Video: Terrifying V8 Supercar crash on the grid at Barbagallo

Today's round of the Australian V8 Supercar series at Barbagallo didn't even get to the first corner before a massive accident brought out the caution. When the green flag waved, driver Karl Reindler stalled his Holden Commodore and was rammed from behind by Steve Owen. Owen had already accelerated to almost 95 mph by the time he came into contact with Reindler.

The enormous impact was enough to make Reindler's Holden explode into flames, and sent both parties spinning into the infield. Luckily, Reindler was able to find his own way out of his stricken Holden, and somehow escaped with only minor burns to his hands and face. Owen was unharmed in the wreck, though officials sent him to the infield medical center after he complained of soreness. After a 95-0 impact, we'd say that much is expected.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PU3Y...embedded#at=85

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/01/t...at-barbagallo/
Old 05-01-11, 10:58 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Who is supposed to be responsible for the driver? I saw everyone with extinguishers rushing to the car, but nobody with an extinguisher went to the driver. I've seen fire crashes were the emergency responders verify the driver is okay and not on fire BEFORE they attempt to extinguish the car. I'm glad he came away with just a few burns. Could have been a lot worse.
Old 05-01-11, 11:07 PM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was like a bad traffic accident but at racecar speeds... I've had times where I've seen cars juke into another lane at the last minute with a lane stopped and the car behind them couldn't see it and have to stop suddenly.

In this case, he had NO chance... Nasty.
Old 05-02-11, 06:38 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Who is supposed to be responsible for the driver? I saw everyone with extinguishers rushing to the car, but nobody with an extinguisher went to the driver. I've seen fire crashes were the emergency responders verify the driver is okay and not on fire BEFORE they attempt to extinguish the car. I'm glad he came away with just a few burns. Could have been a lot worse.
If the driver leaves the car on his own he's fine, I would go to the car first too. You don't want a second explosion happening killing you and others.