Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan Altima 4cyl cvt rental car quick take

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-11, 08:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts
Default Nissan Altima 4cyl cvt rental car quick take

a good CL friend rented a 2011 Altima and took me for a spin in it this weekend. i was impressed!

despite being a 4 cylinder car, it was quiet, smooth, seemed perfectly adequately powerful, and the cvt didn't seem to have the typical 'droning'. moreover, it had nice push button start, keyless entry, nice guages/instruments and controls, much nicer than some nissans i've been in several years ago.

car had plenty of room and this one was cloth, but extremely comfortable and nice.

no wonder this car is selling well (although maybe most to rental car agencies )

anyone else been in a new one or driven one?

Last edited by bitkahuna; 05-01-11 at 08:17 PM.
Old 05-01-11, 08:34 PM
LexFather

That is what we traded in for the RXh...I did a review for it, I echo most of your sentiments......

Old 05-01-11, 08:47 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had one as a loaner, really nice car, everything you said, I have also rented a 4cylinder Accord and Camry, they all drive almost identical, I guess brand loyalty, reputation and the best deal is the deciding factor

Gotta drive the Sonata and Optima to see how they compare, they are popping up like the Japanese 3
Old 05-01-11, 09:26 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

It's been a nice car and the redo should make it even better. The model I rented a few years ago was peppy and roomy. Just didn't care for the overstyled rear end.
Old 05-01-11, 09:31 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Its a perfect car if you hate cars and want to get from A to B reliable and in decent comfort, without hurting your wallet.

Unfortunately, I don't hate cars.
Old 05-06-11, 05:08 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a decent rental, I'll have to remember to request one.
Old 05-06-11, 05:21 PM
Milan
Pole Position

I drove a 2010 model when I was on a trip in San Diego. I owned a 2003 Honda Accord at the time and to be honest, thought the Altima was a step down. The engine sounded really unrefined and the hood would flutter at legal highway speeds. Not sure if the '11 models have any changes though.
Old 05-06-11, 05:46 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My gf has one i love driving it, no where near as much as i love driving my IS, but still The car feels great, the transmission is superrrr smooth, and she has some of the "goodies" in hers like leather and the bose audio system. It's a really nice car, a lot more than i expected from Nissan too. The reason i probably love driving it so much is cuz its a Hybrid, that bish gets her nearly 40mpg

Also like that the Hybrid function is the same as from the Toyota Camry Hybrid, so its nice not to worry about how reliable it is when its probably the most expensive thing on the car to fix should something go wrong. I like that it has push start too and not even a premium car. I agree that the dash and gauages are layed out pretty nice too, i like the way the dual-zone climate control "dial" works too in her car.
Old 05-06-11, 05:53 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I rented one last month for a week. It was a 2011 4 cylinder, cvt 2.5 S model. Yep, it rides decent for what it is, gas mileage good, OK power when in need to step on it. Stable car when driving over 100 mph.

Nice for work car (beater) but after spending a week in it made me appreciate my 2GS..
Old 05-06-11, 06:33 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
a good CL friend rented a 2011 Altima and took me for a spin in it this weekend. i was impressed!

despite being a 4 cylinder car, it was quiet, smooth, seemed perfectly adequately powerful, and the cvt didn't seem to have the typical 'droning'. moreover, it had nice push button start, keyless entry, nice guages/instruments and controls, much nicer than some nissans i've been in several years ago.

car had plenty of room and this one was cloth, but extremely comfortable and nice.

no wonder this car is selling well (although maybe most to rental car agencies )

anyone else been in a new one or driven one?
Great seeing you bit

You summed it up nicely. Car was an excellent rental with good room both inside and the trunk. I'd definitely head toward one again if I see one in the Emerald Isle.

The one and only very minor thing that I noticed is that in the morning when the engine was cold the car would vibrate when stopped at a traffic light. There were about 6 lights between my hotel and the highway and I'd say that after about the 4th light it was warmed up and then the car was as smooth as any Chevy or Honda I've been in.
Old 05-07-11, 06:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

Thanks for the input, Paul. I reviewed an Altima coupe a few years ago, but I haven't driven the sedan for awhile. I'm generally with you on the good CVT.....Nissan is one of the few manufacturers than can do CVTs well, though from what I understand, both Nissan and Subaru use CVTs from the same supplier.
Old 10-22-12, 05:46 AM
HonaDavis
Driver School Candidate

Well if you added few more cylinders, I am pretty sure it would be a more awesome ride for your nissan altima mpg. It is a nice car and mods applied would make it even better. Simplicity on the outside and performance on the inside will make the difference.
Old 10-22-12, 07:58 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The JATCO CVT has come a long way. They just keep making it better than ever before
Old 10-22-12, 07:39 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

A friend of mine just got a 2013, says the seats are amazingly comfortable and they got 38mpg on a short trip they took with it
Old 10-23-12, 10:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Unfortunately, I don't hate cars.
You're in the wrong forum if you do.

Quick Reply: Nissan Altima 4cyl cvt rental car quick take