Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Study: Bird poo does not destroy your car's paint... at least not by itself

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-11, 12:14 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
My white SUV(s) have never had this problem, which is one reason why I choose white for the vehicle that spends the most time parked outdoors.
Since I got rid of my dark blue GS I can not believe how much lower maintenance a white car is. It looks the same wether you wax and wash it or if its been unwashed for weeks. The dark color show all blemishes and dirt. The white hides it. LOL between the white color and no drop on my LS I am amazed at how little I have to focus on my car
Old 05-06-11, 12:38 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Since I got rid of my dark blue GS I can not believe how much lower maintenance a white car is. It looks the same wether you wax and wash it or if its been unwashed for weeks. The dark color show all blemishes and dirt. The white hides it. LOL between the white color and no drop on my LS I am amazed at how little I have to focus on my car
So true when it comparing a dark blue versus a white exterior color. That's why for the last 20 years all my thrasher cars/SUVs (usually 3rd vehicle in household) have always been white. Other than wax every 6 months, no special treatment required.

And in the warmer western climates of CA and AZ, the cooler interior in the summer is appreciated too. Exterior color makes a much bigger difference on AC load than interior color.
Old 05-06-11, 01:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

For most paint-care, especially in the summer, white is indeed a better choice than the darker shades. The only problem is that white tends to not have a very high gloss-level (especially the oyster-pearl texture), and will show colored-stains more. Once again, though, a good scratch remover like SCRATCH-OUT can help a great deal with that.
Old 05-06-11, 01:13 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
try a light silver sometime....its even easier to care for.
Old 05-08-11, 07:05 PM
feetsies
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 05-08-11, 07:15 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

I came out to my car once and it was covered in bird poop. I quit parking under trees after that.

I always wipe off that stuff the second it hits my car. My parents' cars look horrible because there are so many bird poop markings in the paint.