Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Study: Bird poo does not destroy your car's paint... at least not by itself

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-11, 09:12 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Study: Bird poo does not destroy your car's paint... at least not by itself

Study: Bird poo does not destroy your car's paint... at least not by itself

Every summer we're stuck with the same dilemma. We can park the car out in the sun, which will inevitably will lead to scorching hot interior temperatures. The alternative is to park under a shady tree, where birds will undoubtedly poop all over our freshly washed ride. We usually opt for the sun out of auto vanity, but at least we don't have to worry about bird poop messing with the paint.

We've heard that acid from the bird droppings is the reason for the doo-doo perforations, but a study by UK car care experts Autoglym reveals that the excrement is only part of the problem. The real culprit is the sun, which expands and warms the paint on your vehicle. When the sun hits that bird poop, the poo hardens at the same time the paint expands. When the sun sets and the vehicle cools, the paint then contracts and forms itself around the hardened crap.

If a bird does his or her business on your vehicle, the best thing to do is remove it, and fast. A moist cloth will do the trick in most instances, or if you're not into close encounters of the rectal kind, you could also hit the car wash. We would go into more detail, but we're thinking that's enough excrement talk for one day.

New research from Autoglym, the UK's leading car care experts, suggests that the familiar sight of car bodywork 'etched' by bird droppings are not the result of any corrosive property in the deposit, as is commonly believed. In fact, damage instead results from the paint lacquer contracting upon cooling and moulding to the uneven texture of the hardened deposit.

As paint lacquer warms – in the direct summer sunshine for example – it softens and expands. At the same time, that heat dries and hardens any bird droppings on the surface. Autoglym's researchers discovered that as the paint lacquer cools, overnight for example, it contracts, hardens and moulds around the texture of the bird dropping. To the naked eye, this moulding at a microscopic level appears as dulled or etched paintwork. The light's reflection is interrupted by the imperfect surface, unlike the undamaged paint surrounding it which gives a clearer reflection.

Autoglym's tests with strongly acidic, neutral and strongly alkali bird dropping substitutes highlighted negligible differences in the damage caused. However, differences in paint damage were noted when the substitute bird deposits had varying degrees of grain-to-liquid content. A grainier texture caused greater light distortion (dullness) when the paint moulded around it.

Wax and polish treatments – that protect against chemical attack from acid raid and UV sun damage, for example – provide limited protection from the paint moulding to bird droppings, although they will make them easier to remove. The longer the deposit remains on the bodywork, and the higher the temperatures, the harder the dried deposit will be, and the greater the propensity for the paint lacquer to mould to it as it cools. Bird dropping damage can only be prevented by motorists remaining vigilant and removing the deposit as soon as possible.

Autoglym's has outlined some tips for minimising the risk of damage from bird droppings:

- Remove the deposit at the earliest opportunity

- Motorists should use a moist cloth – Autoglym's Bird Dropping Wipes are ideal – to gently lift the deposit from the surface

- If the deposit is dry or doesn't lift easily, place a moist cloth over it for ten minutes to soften the deposit

- Dispose of any cloth or wipe used to remove bird droppings immediately and carefully wash your hands, as bird lime can harbour diseases

Paul Caller, CEO of Autoglym, said: "It's a great shame when an otherwise fabulous-looking car is blighted with a tell-tale patch of dull paint. As a result of this new research by our R&D team in Letchworth, we now understand why bird droppings are a frighteningly potent hazard to bodywork.

"As bird droppings become ever more prevalent through spring and into summer, motorists must be extremely vigilant to avoid permanent damage, especially those who park their cars under trees at home or at work. The only way to prevent the paint becoming noticeably tarnished is to carefully remove deposits as swiftly as possible."

Autoglym's Bird Dropping Wipes (RRP £5.25) – in a handy compact pack to keep in the car – are impregnated with a cleansing formulation to remove bird droppings quickly and safely.

More information about Autoglym's range of premium vehicle-care products, and details of nearby retailers, is available at www.autoglym.com or by calling 01462 677766.
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/04/b...ast-not-by-it/
Old 05-04-11, 09:17 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so they wrote an article that everyone who already cares about this stuff....

knows?
Old 05-04-11, 09:49 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

WOW imagine how freaked out that guy musta been after walking back to his car.. LOL
Old 05-04-11, 11:48 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I feel sorry for that guy!
Old 05-05-11, 12:36 AM
cenix
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds crazy but i carry baby wipes for these purposes and it works great.
Old 05-05-11, 07:49 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

In my trunk is roll of soft paper towel, Windex and detailer spray. The poop must be removed asap. I've seen how it etches dark paints.

Hoovey, thanks for posting this with why (paint damage) it happens.
Old 05-05-11, 09:46 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I've seen a number of cars with one side absolutely nailed, like they parked under a bunch of nests.

I believe that British guy who does the expensive detail and wax jobs said he has an emergency poo-removal service for his customers. It was either him or some other concours detailer who once said that bird boo is best removed by licking it off.
Old 05-05-11, 10:42 AM
billbillw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As always, there is good discussion over at Autogeek.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...lym-study.html
Old 05-05-11, 10:56 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

wont damage the paint but it will burn the clear coat. Ruins the perfect mirror reflection. It happened to my dark blue GS350 on the trunk
Old 05-05-11, 12:40 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

This is one reason why my car is waxed frequently. So in the case my car is parked outside, there will be reasonable time to remove bird excrement from ruining the clear coat.
Old 05-05-11, 12:48 PM
Cartune
Lexus Test Driver

that car got bukake
Old 05-05-11, 01:25 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Cartune
that car got bukake
LOL...damn i haven't heard that word in years.. -_-
Old 05-05-11, 02:08 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

My white SUV(s) have never had this problem, which is one reason why I choose white for the vehicle that spends the most time parked outdoors.
Old 05-05-11, 04:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Some types of bird-dropping do more damage than others. The type with the small red o orange particles in it, from what I've seen, does the most damage the quickest....you have to get that stuff off very quickly. Other types can stay on for a couple of days sometimes with no real problem.

As it does for so many other surface-level finish-related problems, SCRATCH-OUT can take some of the surface damage/warping out......but not if it reaches deep into the clearcoat.

BTW, if the droppings have dried or baked hard, never try to rub them hard......that will only scratch and abrade the paint even more. Let them soak in warm water for a few minutes, soften up first, and THEN clean them off by rubbing gently. Like IS-SV, I travel prepared....with a couple of sponges, towels, rags, and a tightly-capped jug of water in my trunk for when I need it, if water is not closely available.....and, of course, SCRATCH-OUT.
Old 05-06-11, 11:42 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Many birds use gravel as a digestive aid & what goes in must come out, thus the abrasive texture of some bird poop & the need to remove gently. And by the way where are they finding laquer paint to test? (the greater the propensity for the paint lacquer to mould to it as it cools.)

Quick Reply: Study: Bird poo does not destroy your car's paint... at least not by itself