Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai rules out separate premium brand

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-11, 11:17 PM
LexFather

Post Hyundai rules out separate premium brand

As myself and others predicted. Its no cakewalk to start a luxury brand and sales show they are far from a hit, far from how Acura and Lexus were initially received 25 and 20 years ago. Who knows maybe 50 years from now but not today.

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...110409996/1280

By HANS GREIMEL, AUTOMOTIVE NEWS on 4/01/2011

Hyundai Motor Co. has ruled out spinning off the Genesis or Equus nameplates to create an independent premium brand along the lines of Lexus or Infiniti, partly because of the enormous cost involved and possible image damage to sibling nameplates.

"There are no plans for Hyundai to make a separate brand," Vice Chairman Shin Jong-Woon said in an interview Friday at the carmaker's headquarters in Seoul, South Korea.

Shin didn't elaborate on Hyundai's decision to keep the top-tier Genesis and Equus nameplates in the Hyundai family. But his comments counter speculation in recent months that South Korea's biggest automaker would follow Japanese rivals in creating an upscale line.

Hyundai considered such a move but ultimately decided against it, spokesman Frank Ahrens said. Executives worried it would cost too much and undermine the image of other models at a time when Hyundai is trying to position the entire lineup as "modern premium."

"It's expensive. Dealerships, marketing, all those things. You don't just spin it off at no cost," Ahrens said.

"Secondly, you've heard us talk a great deal about trying to raise the brand perception. And that's perception for all the vehicles. So how would it help the brands if we were to cut off our top level? We are hoping they will help lift the whole brand."

Hyundai has made rapid advances in quality in recent years. But executives say there is a big gap between their vehicles' actual and perceived quality. Lifting the perception is a top priority.

A more realistic--and cost-effective--alternative to building a new brand would be simply fleshing out Hyundai's upper range with additional models and variants, Ahrens said.

Shin declined to say whether Hyundai might resurrect the idea of a new brand in the future.

Carving out luxury lines from existing brands has met mixed success.

Toyota Motor Corp. scored big by rolling out the Lexus brand in 1989. It is now the best-selling premium brand in the United States, outpacing both Mercedes and BMW. But Honda's Acura brand, the first of the Japanese spinoffs in the United States, has had trouble gaining traction.

Sales of the Korea-built Genesis were up 23 percent to 4,224 units in the year through February. The Equus, Hyundai's highest priced entry, was launched last fall in the United States.

It sold 487 units in the first two months.

Old 05-05-11, 12:57 AM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody else think of the Genesis or Equus as Hyundai's Cressida? Basically a nice *** luxury car being sold at a non-luxury brand? Then discontinued after awhile when the parent company established a luxury brand? I see these cars following the path of the Cressida.
Old 05-05-11, 12:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
Anybody else think of the Genesis or Equus as Hyundai's Cressida? Basically a nice *** luxury car being sold at a non-luxury brand? Then discontinued after awhile when the parent company established a luxury brand? I see these cars following the path of the Cressida.
toyota still sells a very expensive landcruiser.

i think hyundai and it's other brand kia will be just fine, stratifying and further defining their models. right now it's still quite confused, with kia sometimes getting the better models and hyundai sometimes. my best guess about 'definining' them is kia is more aimed at younger buyers, and hyundai at older ??
Old 05-05-11, 01:26 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

this is pretty old news........ nothing new
Old 05-05-11, 01:51 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, they should stick to what they are doing well now and build on that.
Old 05-05-11, 04:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

There are some legitimate arguments, of course, for Hyundai not doing a separate, upmarket, division. But, if they want to sell the Equus in the U.S., I think it would get more attention if it were marketed under a premium name. It is doubtful, for instance, if the original 1986 Acura Legend or 1990 Lexus LS400 would have been the hits they were if they had been marketed as a Honda or Toyota. Mazda tried selling the flagship Millenia under its own name when Ford killed Mazda's upmarket Amati division, and the car ended up a flop....the Millenia had originally been designed to sell as as an Amati. VW also tried with the Phaeton, with similiar results.

Of course, a separate upmarket-division is no guarantee that you will be able to sell a big flagship either, as Infiniti's Q45 proved.

I recently reviewed an Equus, BTW, and I was quite impressed with it overall, though it didn't quite reach the LS460's tomb-like levels of silent-running, and the choice of only four paint-colors was, IMO, an insult for a 60K car.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-05-11 at 07:49 PM.
Old 05-05-11, 06:14 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

spend some money to make some money?
Old 05-05-11, 06:44 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

"Toyota Motor Corp. scored big by rolling out the Lexus brand in 1989. It is now the best-selling premium brand in the United States, outpacing both Mercedes and BMW. But Honda's Acura brand, the first of the Japanese spinoffs in the United States, has had trouble gaining traction."
Umm cause Acura doesn't follow the BMW/MBZ formula. They also seem to cling to the past (how old is that J-series V6 lol). They live by "if it ain't broke don't fix it" hah. Oh Acura...

I see big things on the horizon for Infiniti.

Last edited by Hoovey689; 05-05-11 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-05-11, 07:43 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, Acura specifically stated they're not trying to compete with upper luxury brands like BMW and Mercedes though. Not a bad idea though, seeing that market is flooded with cars. Hyundai is doing what Acura needed to do: take over that segment of the market between standard cars (eg, Toyota) and luxury cars (eg, Lexus). Acura's finally starting to make a move with their SH-AWD. I was getting sick of seeing 40k FWD cars with no other option.
Old 05-05-11, 08:53 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by kumquatism
Yeah, Acura specifically stated they're not trying to compete with upper luxury brands like BMW and Mercedes though. Not a bad idea though, seeing that market is flooded with cars. Hyundai is doing what Acura needed to do: take over that segment of the market between standard cars (eg, Toyota) and luxury cars (eg, Lexus). Acura's finally starting to make a move with their SH-AWD. I was getting sick of seeing 40k FWD cars with no other option.
No argument there. But only recently did they say they were more upscale rather than gunning for the big 4
Old 05-05-11, 10:05 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
Ya, ummm...no.

The Genesis and Equus are very "nice" cars for what they are. You could argue that they compete on many levels with Lexus. Are you suggesting that the Cressida should have been badged a Lexus? The Genesis and Equus are head and shoulders above anything else in their line up, but when you actually see them in person, it is obvious that they're not quite there....yet.
Old 05-06-11, 12:35 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
this is pretty old news........ nothing new
SMH Its new news b/c this if the first and only time they have said what the plan is. Until this point people just speculated if they were going to spin off a luxury brand or not. Well now we know its not going to happen. There was no thread on it here and its just a month old.

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Ya, ummm...no.

The Genesis and Equus are very "nice" cars for what they are. You could argue that they compete on many levels with Lexus. Are you suggesting that the Cressida should have been badged a Lexus? The Genesis and Equus are head and shoulders above anything else in their line up, but when you actually see them in person, it is obvious that they're not quite there....yet.
I guess what he is saying is the Genesis/Equus are like a Cressida in that the Cressida was also RWD and kind of elevated Toyota but of course being badged a Toyota meant it was avoided by many luxury car buyers. Cressida, Phaeton, Millenia, Diamante, Genesis, Equus, etc etc are all cars from regular brands that offer(ed) a credible luxury experience without the badge.