Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Review: 2012 Honda Civic

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-11, 07:11 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks.

The 06-11 models were all pretty much the same-generation, weren't they....how can you divide them into two separate groups?

You mean the new 2012 model? If you like that big split-dash and all that El-Cheapo plastic inside, fine....I guess everyone's tastes are different. For me.....that interior is just not my cup of tea.
They were the same design...minor facelifts. Both sets of years were considered 8th gen's. And as far as the interior, I have not seen it in person to see if I could live with it or not.
Old 05-06-11, 07:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
And as far as the interior, I have not seen it in person to see if I could live with it or not.

The split-level dash is now larger and more-inclusive on the upper part than the 8Gen version, and, of course, the El-Cheapo hard-plastic trim now covers just about everything. But it still has that superb Honda quality of assembly inside where everything fits like a Rolex watch.
Old 05-06-11, 07:45 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
By #2, 3, and 4, are you talking about fuel-efficiency, or overall sales? The Corolla has usually, but not always, been the sales leader in this class, and sales of both the Corolla and Civic are down, but the Civic recently has been leading the Corolla.
Good catch, I forgot to add the Corolla. I was referring to sales.
Old 05-06-11, 10:06 AM
LexusMan77
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for getting the review done so quickly as I enjoyed reading it. By the way did you use the ECO button? If so, how much of an improvement in fuel economy did you notice? The last generation's styling grew on me over time, but it seems this 2012 styling took a step backwards. I think it is more generic and conservative specifically in the rear, but it will still sell in huge numbers regardless.
Old 05-06-11, 12:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexusMan77
Thanks for getting the review done so quickly as I enjoyed reading it.
Sure...anytime. I've been retired for a few years now, and, depending on the vehicle availability in my local area, I usually have time to get to review requests fairly quickly.

By the way did you use the ECO button? If so, how much of an improvement in fuel economy did you notice?
I did try out the ECO feature. It lights up a green dash-indicator, makes some adjustments in the drivetrain, and limits A/C-compressor use for some added MPG, but my test-drive, though long enough to evaluate the drivetrain, wasn't long enough to verify fuel-use....and you can't always depend on the on-board trip computers, since they are often 1 or 2 MPG off, and tend to read high. ECO button or not, though, 39 MPG on the highway is pretty good....and the HF and Hybrid versions of the Civic can do better than that.

The last generation's styling grew on me over time, but it seems this 2012 styling took a step backwards. I think it is more generic and conservative specifically in the rear, but it will still sell in huge numbers regardless.
Anything with the name "Civic" on it, of course, will sell, but astute and observant buyers will notice the loweing of interior-trim quality and how awkward the split-level dash can sometimes be. I'm highly respectful of this car for how well it is asembled at the factory, but it is not something I would choose as a daily-driver.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-06-11 at 12:50 PM.
Old 05-06-11, 01:08 PM
mondo540
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice review as always....I expected more from Honda....

I think Honda (and Toyo) have gotten lazy with their redesigns and are living on past sales and the "automatic buyers" with the Civic and Corolla...better choices out there IMO...I am looking forward to the new Impreza hatch later this year...if it can really do 36mpg with AWD, I might have to get it for a DD if gas is still stuck at $4-$5...I think more and more people want AWD and Subie might have a big hit on their hands. Put that on your list please (as I'm sure you will as I believe you are a Subie fan)....
Old 05-07-11, 06:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mondo540
Nice review as always....
Thanks.

I expected more from Honda....
They still assemble a car at the factory ike a Swiss Watch, but the quality of some of the materials seems to be going down. I chalk it up to typical cost-cutting.

I think Honda (and Toyota) have gotten lazy with their redesigns and are living on past sales and the "automatic buyers" with the Civic and Corolla...
Agreed.

better choices out there IMO...
Yes and no.....depends on what your automotive priorities are.

I am looking forward to the new Impreza hatch later this year...if it can really do 36mpg with AWD, I might have to get it for a DD if gas is still stuck at $4-$5...I think more and more people want AWD and Subie might have a big hit on their hands. Put that on your list please (as I'm sure you will as I believe you are a Subie fan)....
I'm with you....hard to beat Subies as Daily-Drivers, especially in bad weather. I'll definitely check out the new Impreza when it is released. But I generally like the added ground-clearance of the Outback....the Impreza, for me, sits too low.