Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Confirmed: 2012 Mercedes-Benz E-Class getting upgraded V6, twin-turbo V8

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-11, 09:17 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Yes, i dont know why is there AC or heater in the cars in Europe at all... we dont need both of those, or stereo or auto air, or leather on the steering wheels of our very expensive cars. Heck, soon enough we will be driving Dacias all around!
I use my heater in the winter. I use my A/C in the summers, but only when it is really hot. Often, I have my sunroof open or the windows down and enjoy the fresh air and breeze. Or I simply allow the external air to enter my car via the A/C vents - uncooled.

People can do whatever they want with their A/C. I'm just pointing out that many Europeans don't necessarily use their A/C even in the summers. And it makes perfect sense to me. When you're driving you can let the external air enter your car and it can still cool you down or make the ride more comfortable - and it doesn't affect the gas mileage as much as the A/C would.

p.s. My friend had 118d that he loved and he averaged 6.5l in same city where my Prius did 4l, and he pampered it completely as the cost was big consideration for him.
A pampered BMW 118d can do better than 6.5 l in the city. I pamper my BMW 118d in the city all the time and I generally average around 5.5 l of diesel per 100 km. And my 1er has a 6-speed automatic transmission.

Either your friend can't drive or you're spinning things again in favor of...

And you still have not told me where in Europe you live or come from. In fact you always avoid answering this question.
Old 05-10-11, 09:36 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DustinV
Please show me evidence of where I explicitly state this.

When people come in here and make silly comments about the new Mercedes V6 without "thinking", then I feel I have to be the voice of reason. The only people who really make a big deal out of this are enthusiasts for whom every car needs to be performance oriented. An E350 is a fast car by default but it is not a dedicated sports sedan. It sold well with the old 3.5 V6 and it'll sell well with the V6. Case closed.

Right. So you think that the Mercedes' engineers were incapable of extracting 307-horsepower out of this new V6 and 306-horsepower was the best they could manage?
Voice of reason? Really? We all know the E-class sells like hotcakes, it makes owners happy, its great from being a taxi to being a super sedan/wagon.

What is funny is people bashing Lexus for older powertrains or ones behind the competition and Mercedes has done this very same thing in regards to the 3.5 V-6 they have sold for years here. Now the argument is "oh its fine" and "oh the E class is not a sports sedan anyway" and "oh 0-60 times are for magazine racers".

hypocrisy

Now all of a sudden a basic like A/C is not really needed?

Old 05-10-11, 09:43 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV
A pampered BMW 118d can do better than 6.5 l in the city. I pamper my BMW 118d in the city all the time and I generally average around 5.5 l of diesel per 100 km. And my 1er has a 6-speed automatic transmission.

Either your friend can't drive or you're spinning things again in favor of...

And you still have not told me where in Europe you live or come from. In fact you always avoid answering this question.
or maybe my city and your city have nothing in common? I bet that you will get at least 20% better consumption in Prius than in your 118d when it comes to city, whatever city you want.

I am from Croatia and lived for 7 years in the states... so?
If I never left Croatia, I agree, i would think only car that exists in the world is german car.
Old 05-10-11, 10:24 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I think the real reason why the E-Class has sold well with a underpowered engine, is that its customers just don't care about that. My guess is that the following (in no particular order) is what their buyers care about.

- Conservative styling
- Comfortable ride
- Nice interior
- Nice badge / hood ornament
Old 05-10-11, 10:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,437 Likes on 1,598 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
I think the real reason why the E-Class has sold well with a underpowered engine, is that its customers just don't care about that. My guess is that the following (in no particular order) is what their buyers care about.

- Conservative styling
- Comfortable ride
- Nice interior
i consider the e-class (and its customers for the most part) to be the benz ($$) equivalent of the lexus ES ($).

of course the AMG form is a whole different thing.
Old 05-10-11, 10:55 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i consider the e-class (and its customers for the most part) to be the benz ($$) equivalent of the lexus ES ($).

Agreed, when I was forming my list, I was mostly thinking about E350 customers, not E550 or E65 buyers.
Old 05-10-11, 11:52 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

- Conservative styling
- Comfortable ride
- Nice interior
yes... but the point was that MB came out with 2012 engine which is technically inferior compared to 2006 Lexus GR series engine, in both power and emissions/fuel efficiency.

Just needed to be said.
Old 05-10-11, 12:00 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

E-Class is nice, dont be rude :-).

It is really your standard big german luxury comfy sedan.

I am currently thinking about getting used 1 year old either E200 CDI or 520d (is it shocking for some? ha!), and they are really good used car values now... gotta love recession discounting!
Old 05-10-11, 04:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,437 Likes on 1,598 Posts

E-Class is nice, dont be rude :-).
way more than nice to me!

and somehow, i don't care how much mb appears to cost reduce their cars, they still feel to me built like tanks.
Old 05-10-11, 06:16 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

- Conservative styling
- Comfortable ride
- Nice interior
I agree. And the one's who do have the money for a V8.

That being said, I'd be interested to know the percentage of E classes sold with a V6.