Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM's Mark Reuss jabs the Nissan Leaf (updated, Nissan's commercial jabs back)

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-11, 03:16 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by ggravant
OK, since you are obviously not getting my point, here is some simple math for my particular situation:

Lets say I drive a Volt and a Prius 12000 miles per year. With the volt I am able to drive 9000 miles on electric and 3000 miles on gas. At 35mpg I end up using 85 gal of gas in 12000 miles of driving. At 55mpg the Prius would consume 218 gallons in that same period and mileage. So how is the Volt worse than a Prius?
Depending on your electricity cost, Volt always on EV is at half of the Prius cost (if you are on national average)... If you are in SoCal, you are already not saving any money, depending on your electric company :-).

So under your assumption, if you drive only 25% on gas, you would save maximum of 20-25% over Prius.

if you are not going to do much more than 35 miles per day, then Leaf is better choice because it costs 10-15k less than Volt and it will save you extra 10%-50% in fuel bills.
Old 05-09-11, 03:52 PM
ggravant
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Depending on your electricity cost, Volt always on EV is at half of the Prius cost (if you are on national average)... If you are in SoCal, you are already not saving any money, depending on your electric company :-).

So under your assumption, if you drive only 25% on gas, you would save maximum of 20-25% over Prius.

if you are not going to do much more than 35 miles per day, then Leaf is better choice because it costs 10-15k less than Volt and it will save you extra 10%-50% in fuel bills.
Well, obviously if electric is too expensive then it would not be worth it for the Leaf or the Volt. In my case (and my whole point is this is my case only), only having a Leaf + rental cars would not be a viable option, so with the Volt (and supplemental solar driving the Kw/h cost even lower) I get the benefit of lower cost EV most of the time with an option to drive longer distance if needed.
Old 05-28-11, 08:46 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb Commercial

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0sCC...layer_embedded
Old 05-28-11, 08:51 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

^^^

LOL, this is the best commercial I've ever seen, and a nice jab at GM in the end, that they deserved 100%, since their whole marketing strategy seems to be to talk crap about their competitors. Now its coming back to bite them in the ***
Old 05-28-11, 09:15 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
^^^

LOL, this is the best commercial I've ever seen, and a nice jab at GM in the end, that they deserved 100%, since their whole marketing strategy seems to be to talk crap about their competitors. Now its coming back to bite them in the ***
indeed, quite funny.
Old 05-28-11, 09:27 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Oooo, how are they not going to get sued by GM for having the Volt in there.
Old 05-28-11, 09:31 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,630 Posts

^^^ what Och said.
Old 05-28-11, 12:13 PM
LexFather

That ad was nothing short of brilliant!

Old 05-28-11, 02:18 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That ad was good fun. Leafs are becoming more common each day around here (should be no surprise because Bay area region has highest Prius sales in the entire US).
Old 05-28-11, 02:29 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Oooo, how are they not going to get sued by GM for having the Volt in there.
How can they? Many other car commercials always say they're better than their competitors (by name as well). This was a good commercial. Good on Nissan to hit GM right back.
Old 05-28-11, 03:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Leafs are becoming more common each day around here (should be no surprise because Bay area region has highest Prius sales in the entire US).
I wonder, though, how many of those who bought or leased a Leaf will have wished they waited a little longer and gotten a Plug-in, Extended-Range Prius when Toyota introduces it. If Toyota plays it smart (to my knowledge, pricing has not yet been announded), the Extended-Range Prius will undercut the Volt's 40K base price to something a little more reasonable like the Leaf's 33K (which, with inevitable dealer-markups, IMO, is still a little steep, even with the $7500 tax-credit). Of course, if one has a safe recharging system at home for the Leaf (house/garage fires have been reported on some plug-ins from current over-draw), and doesn't drive many miles at a stretch or too far away from home, then the Leaf, of course, may be a sensible buy. But the Leaf, of course, requires daily or periodic plug-in recharging.....which is not necessarily the case with the Volt and/or Extended-Range Prius, with their small gas-engines. Some Leaf owners, as I see it, may end up wishing they got an ER instead of an all-electric.

The Volt, IMO, simply costs too much for what you get (see my review). This is a chance for Toyota, if they play their cards right and price it correctly, to one-up GM in a car-buying area that is going to become significantly more important in the future.
Old 05-28-11, 04:02 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I wonder, though, how many of those who bought or leased a Leaf will have wished they waited a little longer and gotten a Plug-in, Extended-Range Prius when Toyota introduces it. If Toyota plays it smart (to my knowledge, pricing has not yet been announded), the Extended-Range Prius will undercut the Volt's 40K base price to something a little more reasonable like the Leaf's 33K (which, with inevitable dealer-markups, IMO, is still a little steep, even with the $7500 tax-credit). Of course, if one has a safe recharging system at home for the Leaf (house/garage fires have been reported on some plug-ins from current over-draw), and doesn't drive many miles at a stretch or too far away from home, then the Leaf, of course, may be a sensible buy. But the Leaf, of course, requires daily or periodic plug-in recharging.....which is not necessarily the case with the Volt and/or Extended-Range Prius, with their small gas-engines. Some Leaf owners, as I see it, may end up wishing they got an ER instead of an all-electric.

The Volt, IMO, simply costs too much for what you get (see my review). This is a chance for Toyota, if they play their cards right and price it correctly, to one-up GM in a car-buying area that is going to become significantly more important in the future.
These people probably spend a lot less time wondering and guessing about stuff like that, especially since they have at least 2 other vehicles in household and have more important things to concern themselves with. Obviously a Leaf is a specialized vehicle not suitable for many as only/primary vehicle.

The competition will get interesting in this class of vehicle. I don't doubt that a company like Toyota with its resources is capable of pricing and competing well.
Old 05-29-11, 10:10 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Both being sales failures, they would be awesome for around town usage where someone could walk home in case the battery dies.
Old 05-29-11, 10:21 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

On that thought and road service, I'm curious what AAA's road service written policy will be regarding electric cars dead on the road (towing within specified range of home as usual/100 miles for CSAA Plus members currently)
Old 05-29-11, 11:01 AM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IS-SV
On that thought and road service, I'm curious what AAA's road service written policy will be regarding electric cars dead on the road (towing within specified range of home as usual/100 miles for CSAA Plus members currently)
I think Nissan would tow your Leaf for free in a situation like that. At least that's what I remember Nissan offering.

Quick Reply: GM's Mark Reuss jabs the Nissan Leaf (updated, Nissan's commercial jabs back)