Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM's Mark Reuss jabs the Nissan Leaf (updated, Nissan's commercial jabs back)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-11, 07:32 PM
LexFather

Post GM's Mark Reuss jabs the Nissan Leaf (updated, Nissan's commercial jabs back)

Wow first they attack the Prius, now the Leaf.
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/06/g...pose-car-that/

Mark Reuss, president of General Motors North America, recently voiced his opinions on a slew of issues with the Nashville Business Journal. Reuss spoke of GM's future, the role of the Chevrolet Volt and more. But when the discussion turned to the Nissan Leaf, it became obvious that Reuss is not a fan of the electric hatch.

Reuss explained what he believes to be the most significant drawbacks of electric-only vehicles like the Leaf, stating:
[The Leaf] has a finite range and requires infrastructure and charging to run it, where the Volt is really an extended-range electric vehicle. The Volt can really be the only car you own. You better be living within a certain range for the Leaf. ... It's a lot different market, a lot different car and a completely different driver.

While we think that Reuss should've stopped at that, he didn't. Reuss continued to rag on the Leaf, boldly stating that:
I'm not sure if I'd put the Leaf in the hands of my three kids. Say, what if they can't charge it? What if they get to school and can't charge it? The Leaf is a single-purpose car.

Did Reuss' statements to a little too far? Let us know what you think by voicing your thoughts in 'Comments' below.

Old 05-07-11, 04:01 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

This keeps repeating over and over.
Old 05-07-11, 04:45 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Blah Government Motors
Old 05-07-11, 04:56 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Actually, the only limited uses for the Leaf are long distance trips and long daily commutes (which kills the car for my current needs). Most folks would have a second, gas, vehicle for longer trips. As for cross-country trips, I know a number of folks that don't even consider driving due to time constraints or boredom.

Reuss may have a valid point about remembering to charge the car. However, it's us older folks that are likely to have this problem, not his kids. Kids have grown up with rechargeable devices and they've learned to keep their smart phones charged. It's more natural for them to remember to charge things up overnight rather than interrupt their day with a stop at a smelly gas station.
Old 05-07-11, 07:42 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Actually, the only limited uses for the Leaf are long distance trips and long daily commutes (which kills the car for my current needs). Most folks would have a second, gas, vehicle for longer trips. As for cross-country trips, I know a number of folks that don't even consider driving due to time constraints or boredom.

Reuss may have a valid point about remembering to charge the car. However, it's us older folks that are likely to have this problem, not his kids. Kids have grown up with rechargeable devices and they've learned to keep their smart phones charged. It's more natural for them to remember to charge things up overnight rather than interrupt their day with a stop at a smelly gas station.
not only that, but Volt is awful in such conditions, getting not only considerably worse mpg than 20k cheaper Prius but also it is very slow due to small 1.4l engine with 74hp having to power the 3800lbs car.

In fact, you will have to press the button before you go on any mountain, so system will pre-charge the EV pack so you can go uphill.
Old 05-07-11, 10:23 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

jealousy and envy are negative emotions.lol
Old 05-07-11, 10:47 AM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Leaf has over twice the electric range, and I would argue its appearance is less gimmicky than the Volt. The only disadvantage is you can't take long trips easily...yet.

Not saying the Volt isn't an impressive car, but even it has some significant shortcomings.
Old 05-07-11, 01:14 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Even though I basically agree with Reuss, I think he should've kept his mouth shut.

Originally Posted by superchan7
The Leaf has over twice the electric range, and I would argue its appearance is less gimmicky than the Volt. The only disadvantage is you can't take long trips easily...yet.

Not saying the Volt isn't an impressive car, but even it has some significant shortcomings.
IMO, the Volt's only shortcoming is its price. If it was <$25K, it would become a top 10 car.

The Leaf is less "gimmicky"? It's the most gimmicky car design of all time.

It basically says, "Hey, look at me! I'm a weird looking electric car!" For god's sakes, it looks like a fish.

In comparison, the Volt is much more normal looking when compared to it or such cars as the Prius and Insight.
Old 05-07-11, 01:44 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
Even though I basically agree with Reuss, I think he should've kept his mouth shut.

IMO, the Volt's only shortcoming is its price. If it was <$25K, it would become a top 10 car.

The Leaf is less "gimmicky"? It's the most gimmicky car design of all time.

It basically says, "Hey, look at me! I'm a weird looking electric car!" For god's sakes, it looks like a fish.

In comparison, the Volt is much more normal looking when compared to it or such cars as the Prius and Insight.
If LS was 25k it would be #1 car, so what?

Volt has serious engineering issues which means it will never be top car.
Old 05-07-11, 01:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

There's no question that the Volt is more versatile than the Leaf, and doesn't require constant plug-in recharging....we don't need Reuss to tell us that. But.....will the Volt be reliable? GM, despite some nice features on the new Cruze, doesn't have much of a track record in making good small cars.....Nissan, of course, does.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-07-11 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-07-11, 01:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

He only told us what many of us already knew.
Old 05-07-11, 02:09 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

... For god's sakes, it looks like a fish...
You made me waste some Sam Adams out my nose and have the next table at Outback looking at us.
Old 05-07-11, 02:24 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
There's no question that the Volt is more versatile than the Leaf, and doesn't require constant plug-in recharging....we don't need Reuss to tell us that. But.....will the Volt be reliable? GM, despite some nice features on the new Cruze, doesn't have much of a track record in making good small cars.....Nissan, of course, does.
if you dont constantly plugin Volt to charge, you get one of the worst eco vehicles on the market, for 45k.

In electric mode, its efficiency is less than Leaf... and in Hybrid mode, it is just bad all around.
Old 05-07-11, 07:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
if you dont constantly plug in Volt to charge, you get one of the worst eco vehicles on the market, for 45k.

In electric mode, its efficiency is less than Leaf... and in Hybrid mode, it is just bad all around
Once the Volt's battery-pack is fully-charged, you don't need the gas engine for up to 40 miles....it can run that far, in ideal conditions, on the electrics alone. No, that's not as far as the Leaf can go, in good weather and ideal driving conditions, on a charge, but the Leaf has to be plugged in overnight on a 110V outlet....the Volt doesn't. Most people would probably prefer a plug-in hybrid that maybe used a small amount of gas, but didn't have to sit for 8-10 hours getting a charge, if they didn't have time for that. 400V outlets are under development for all-electric cars that can do a full-charge in less than hour, but they are not ready yet.
Old 05-07-11, 07:56 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

If you own a Leaf, you'll probably need to own two cars unless you plan on renting a car every time you need to go more than 80 miles, which is very often for the average person. Perhaps this may not be too much of a problem since most couples already own two cars. Single people, however, generally own just one.

A Leaf + a gas car costs more than a Volt. Perhaps an irrelevant point in most cases, but relevant in some.

It is popular to compare the Volt to the Leaf, but they are completely different cars. Even more different than comparing a Prius to a Camry because you're still comparing internal combustion driven cars. The Leaf stands alone as the only 100% electric car. The Volt shouldn't be held to the electric range standards of a pure electric. The Volt has to carry around two powertrains in order to make the car make sense. So how could it fit the size battery that the Leaf carries?

I'll take half the electric range of the Volt with the freedom of endless driving range than a Leaf that relegates me to one area code.

Quick Reply: GM's Mark Reuss jabs the Nissan Leaf (updated, Nissan's commercial jabs back)