Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Illegal or Legal? Buy Canada car to USA?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-11, 10:56 AM
Grazy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Illegal or Legal? Buy Canada car to USA?

Illegal or Legal? Buy Canada car and bring it to the USA? if its possible i want to buy an "Acura CSX" from Canada and bring it to the USA. They dont have these types of model here in the USA. Anyone know if its possible?
Old 05-07-11, 11:04 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

They do have that model here.... Its called the Honda Civic.

The CSX is just a re-badge...
Old 05-07-11, 11:05 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

I think so. My friend has a Canadian Subaru WRX and I've seen a lot of right hand drive cars running around too.
Old 05-07-11, 11:06 AM
Grazy
Driver

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
They do have that model here.... Its called the Honda Civic.

The CSX is just a re-badge...
they are not the same...
Old 05-07-11, 02:06 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Grazy
they are not the same...
Actually, with a little research,,it is the platform in which the JDM Civic is based from. You are are right that it is not ENTIRELY the same car.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acura_CSX

As far as your original question,,I don't think that it is legal due to the emissions requirements that it has to meet.
Old 05-07-11, 02:22 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Civic with a beak?

I think problem is also federal safety standards...
Old 05-07-11, 02:30 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by trukn1
Actually, with a little research,,it is the platform in which the JDM Civic is based from. You are are right that it is not ENTIRELY the same car.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acura_CSX
Right...

It based a JDM civic ... and shares the exterior design of our USDM civic. Also, the powertrain of the "type-s" version is the same powertrain as our USDM honda civic SI...

IMO... its essentially same as a civic.... But with HIDs, leather, NAV, with different headlights/taillights. Even the interior is identical ..

IMO... I'd get a civic Si over a CSX ... But if you like the CSX then by all means go for it
Old 05-07-11, 04:11 PM
Grazy
Driver

it is a better built, more luxury package than the US civic, and the exterior is more beautiful. and ill be one of a kind if i have it but the question i want to know, is if its legal in the USA. hm... i am located in Minnesota so im right next to them Canadians
Old 05-07-11, 05:23 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Can you buy it? Yes
Can you register? No, unless you got through a complicated process.
Its not worth for a imo pos civic.
Old 05-07-11, 05:41 PM
Ty419
Lead Lap

http://www.canadatotwincities.com/buy_car.html

It's not as hard as it might seem. Most Canadian cars already meet all our specifications. Local dealers used to import Priuses when they were in short supply and Jeep guys bring in the Diesels that aren't sold in the US.
Old 05-07-11, 06:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

but the question i want to know, is if its legal in the USA. hm... i am located in Minnesota so im right next to them Canadians

It is legal, but what you are talking about is called a Gray-Market car....a vehicle imported into and registered in the U.S. that doesn't meet U.S. safety/emission standards. In some cases, it can be legally done, but it can be a hassle and a lot of red-tape with Federal Agencies.....I wouldn't want to see you subjected to that. I agree with some of the other posters here that you might be better off just looking at a U.S.-market Civic.....its cheap-plastic inside may not equal the CSX's interior plushness, but, mechanically, it is very close to the CSX in a number of ways. In fact, I just did a formal review of a Civic LX sedan a couple of days ago.
Old 05-07-11, 07:57 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Ty419
http://www.canadatotwincities.com/buy_car.html

It's not as hard as it might seem. Most Canadian cars already meet all our specifications. Local dealers used to import Priuses when they were in short supply and Jeep guys bring in the Diesels that aren't sold in the US.
I believe that most Canadian auto regulations -- with the exception of a few -- are copies of American regulations. The ones that I believe may be different are the following:

1. We in Canada require original equipment (factory installed) ignition immobilizers. I know that this has caused problems with importing late-model cars from the USA into Canada.

2. We require daytime running lights on all cars. This too has been a problem in the past. Late-model cars imported to Canada are supposed to have DRLs installed. It is likely becoming much less of a problem as more cars sold in the USA have DRLs, even if not required.

3. We only just got rid of our 5mph bumper standard recently. The Americans got rid of it long before we did (so now both Americans and Canadians are in line). Our tougher 5mph bumper standard kept us from getting the Mitsubishi Evo because it could not meet bumper standards. When we finally got the Evo X 3 years ago, Mitsubishi had to add an ugly bumper extension to the rear bumper.

4. Our emissions standards meet the American federal standards but may not meet the stricter California standard (yet), so those states that follow the California standard may have a problem importing cars from Canada.
Old 05-07-11, 08:11 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Having been in Southeast Asia within the last year, I can confirm that the Civic sedans there have the same rear-end treatment as the Canadian Acura CSX. The taillights on the CSX and the Asian Civic are the same, but are different from the North American lights. The CSX taillights allow for the wider licence plate indentation; the North American Civic rear licence plate mounting area is not wide enough for the international plates.

Otherwise, the Asian Civic/CSX and North American Civic look very much alike on the outside (pre-beak) and can be very difficult to tell apart with just a glance in everyday traffic.
Old 05-07-11, 10:31 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Yes you can, i live in Buffalo, bout 5 minutes form Canada and there are actually quite a few candian registered cars in the US and vice versa. Infact, we know someone who lives in the US, but buys all his cars in Canada simply because he owns businesses there and gets deals on his cars, and registers them here, no problem at all.
Old 05-07-11, 10:53 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it is a better built, more luxury package than the US civic, and the exterior is more beautiful. and ill be one of a kind if i have it but the question i want to know, is if its legal in the USA. hm... i am located in Minnesota so im right next to them Canadians
You're dreaming and in denial if you think that the CSX is not simply a rebadged Civic. I'd be embarassed if I were Acura.

Originally Posted by Sulu
I believe that most Canadian auto regulations -- with the exception of a few -- are copies of American regulations. The ones that I believe may be different are the following:

1. We in Canada require original equipment (factory installed) ignition immobilizers. I know that this has caused problems with importing late-model cars from the USA into Canada.
Not true at all. Go onto RIV and they have the entire list of cars that are eligible for import. There are many late model vehicles that meet the requirements.

P.S. Wtf is an "ignition immobilizer" anyways? It's not listed as a standard feature or option on any of our vehicles.

2. We require daytime running lights on all cars. This too has been a problem in the past. Late-model cars imported to Canada are supposed to have DRLs installed. It is likely becoming much less of a problem as more cars sold in the USA have DRLs, even if not required.
What would having DRL's matter for a car going to the US? It is only important if it's coming North and many cars already have them and just actually need them to be activated, while some need a full install.

3. We only just got rid of our 5mph bumper standard recently. The Americans got rid of it long before we did (so now both Americans and Canadians are in line). Our tougher 5mph bumper standard kept us from getting the Mitsubishi Evo because it could not meet bumper standards. When we finally got the Evo X 3 years ago, Mitsubishi had to add an ugly bumper extension to the rear bumper.
This is one area that can have a significant impact on bringing cars up from the US, but shouldn't matter going the other direction. For example, a late model S-class (ie. '10-'11) will require a bumper upgrade/modification that will run about $4K.

4. Our emissions standards meet the American federal standards but may not meet the stricter California standard (yet), so those states that follow the California standard may have a problem importing cars from Canada.
Again, OP is importing into MN so this point has zero relevance.

If anything, I think it would be a simpler process going south than it is to bring a car up here. All that is required to bring one to Canada is to first make sure the car is allowed for import (ie. approved by RIV). Second, you need a recall letter from the manufacturer stating the car is in good standing. You need to have your documentation to customs 72 hours before you bring it home. Pay your RIV fees. Pay your 6.1% duty (0 if it's built in NA). Pay your GST and PST/HST on top of the purchase price converted to CDN dollars including the duty. Then you get an inspection done and you're clear to register it.

All transactions between Canada, the US and Mexico are covered under NAFTA. You can bring any merchandise as long as you pay the appropriate duty and it isn't on the "disallowed" list. While I'm not sure on the duty for all goods, I do know cars run 6.1%, electronics are 9ish and clothing is 20ish according to customs.

Quick Reply: Illegal or Legal? Buy Canada car to USA?