Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Review: 2011 Dodge Charger R/T

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-11, 12:54 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 431 Likes on 355 Posts

I like these new Chargers. I haven't seen one in person yet.
Old 05-08-11, 06:37 PM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The word is late summer.
Last thing I heard was Q4 (October). I'm hoping August though....

(sorry for the hijack)
Old 05-08-11, 07:27 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Have you seen or driven any of their newest offerings?
They've had such bad products for so long that I've given up on them.
Old 05-09-11, 06:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
those look like Italian seats :-)
Well.....look at who now owns Chrysler.
Old 05-09-11, 06:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by caddyowner
They've had such bad products for so long that I've given up on them.
I did too, until I saw the interiors and fit/finish on the new 300, Charger, and JGC..........but, of course, reliability still has to be proved.
Old 05-09-11, 06:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kostamojen
Last thing I heard was Q4 (October). I'm hoping August though....

(sorry for the hijack)
That's not a hijack. Thanks for the input.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-09-11 at 06:21 AM.
Old 05-09-11, 10:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kira X
I like these new Chargers. I haven't seen one in person yet.
Before you use any gas driving to a dealership, though, call or do an Internet dealer-inventory search, and make sure they actually have the model you want to look at. In my area (Washington, DC suburbs), AWD and some R/T versions are not readily kept in stock. In fact, when I did this review, the Dodge shop I was at had only one new 2011 R/T.
Old 07-22-11, 10:18 PM
ozzypriest
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2011 Charger R/T Road and Track model. It is a great car, unbelievably refined (for a Charger) with really nice interior treatments, easily on par with the current nice Ford interiors, etc. It is also chock full of expensive electronic gadgetry you would expect in a much more expensive vehicle - adaptive cruise, heated steering, a massive touch screen with fantastic software and great nav system by Garmin, and Sirius Travelink/Satellite radio. There also packages with self-leveling headlights, blind-spot detection, front and rear backup cameras, power adjustable pedals and steering wheel, seat memory, and a lot more. Stereos are very nice Alpine setups.

Chysler has made a number of suspension changes and refinements which have really dialed up the handling to the point of track-worthy duty (if you get the super track pack) - there are actually 3 suspension packages, the normal suspension - R/T base, Plus and Max, the much sportier, better handling Road and Track suspension, and then the Road and Track with the Super Track pack which offers an unbelievably composed high-speed and twisties-worthy experience. The STP has to be driven to be believed.

They have different gearing as well - the Road and Track has 3.06 gears which equals much faster acceleration, and the others which have a 2.65 gearset which is, well, not so fast. The R and T with the 3.06 goes like nobody's business - 0-60 in 5.1 and 13.7 in the 1/4 - not bad for a 4200 lb car. The 5.7 liter Hemi is a joy to use and listen to, as is the exhaust.

However they do have their issues. Many owners feel they were rushed to market by Gilles before all the bugs were worked out and consequently there have been a a variety of weird electrical issues, some build quality issues, and some paint problems. My tires where also out of balance from the get-go, but were re-balanced into perfection by the dealer under warranty.

But the transmission (despite being a 5 -speed) and the engine are top notch. It really is like a brand- new model, but reliability has yet to be determined. If I were to do it again, I'd've waited until 2013 for the 8-speed, and for all the bugs to be worked out. But it is a damn good car, a speed AND FINALLY a handling monster (in road and track trim) with all the trimmings. A great joy to drive, but has it build flaws, and soon to remedied in later MYs. Plus, it looks like it will beat you up and take your lunch money. If you like that sort of thing.
Old 07-23-11, 07:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ozzypriest
I have a 2011 Charger R/T Road and Track model. It is a great car, unbelievably refined (for a Charger) with really nice interior treatments, easily on par with the current nice Ford interiors, etc.
A number of the very latest 2011-vintage Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep interiors significantly outclass their Ford competition, though not necessarily those of GM.....GM has also made a lot of improvements in their latest interiors. Ford has done a good job in improving their general overall build-quality, but many of their interiors, IMO, are not impressive. The next job at Ford needs to be improving the interior trim.
Old 07-23-11, 08:07 AM
LexFather

Mike Nice review again, they are of course very popular already in Atlanta.

Originally Posted by ozzypriest
I have a 2011 Charger R/T Road and Track model. It is a great car, unbelievably refined (for a Charger) with really nice interior treatments, easily on par with the current nice Ford interiors, etc. It is also chock full of expensive electronic gadgetry you would expect in a much more expensive vehicle - adaptive cruise, heated steering, a massive touch screen with fantastic software and great nav system by Garmin, and Sirius Travelink/Satellite radio. There also packages with self-leveling headlights, blind-spot detection, front and rear backup cameras, power adjustable pedals and steering wheel, seat memory, and a lot more. Stereos are very nice Alpine setups.

Chysler has made a number of suspension changes and refinements which have really dialed up the handling to the point of track-worthy duty (if you get the super track pack) - there are actually 3 suspension packages, the normal suspension - R/T base, Plus and Max, the much sportier, better handling Road and Track suspension, and then the Road and Track with the Super Track pack which offers an unbelievably composed high-speed and twisties-worthy experience. The STP has to be driven to be believed.

They have different gearing as well - the Road and Track has 3.06 gears which equals much faster acceleration, and the others which have a 2.65 gearset which is, well, not so fast. The R and T with the 3.06 goes like nobody's business - 0-60 in 5.1 and 13.7 in the 1/4 - not bad for a 4200 lb car. The 5.7 liter Hemi is a joy to use and listen to, as is the exhaust.

However they do have their issues. Many owners feel they were rushed to market by Gilles before all the bugs were worked out and consequently there have been a a variety of weird electrical issues, some build quality issues, and some paint problems. My tires where also out of balance from the get-go, but were re-balanced into perfection by the dealer under warranty.

But the transmission (despite being a 5 -speed) and the engine are top notch. It really is like a brand- new model, but reliability has yet to be determined. If I were to do it again, I'd've waited until 2013 for the 8-speed, and for all the bugs to be worked out. But it is a damn good car, a speed AND FINALLY a handling monster (in road and track trim) with all the trimmings. A great joy to drive, but has it build flaws, and soon to remedied in later MYs. Plus, it looks like it will beat you up and take your lunch money. If you like that sort of thing.
Welcome

Old 07-23-11, 08:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Mike Nice review again, they are of course very popular already in Atlanta.
Thanks, Mike. This was actually an older thread from early May that got bumped back up with new comments.

I am very impressed with the looks of the new Chrysler 300, which, of course, is done on the Charger's platform. The new dash and interior trim, particularly in the high-line models, will knock your socks off. I might (?) review one even without a request.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-23-11 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07-23-11, 08:52 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

I wish chrysler would of waited for the 8 speed, drove a RT with 5 speed, wasnt great.
Old 07-23-11, 09:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lamar411
I wish chrysler would of waited for the 8 speed, drove a RT with 5 speed, wasnt great.
The 8-speed automatics are coming this summer...I don't know the exact start-up date.
Old 07-24-11, 09:47 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lamar411
What was not great about it, the RT has the 5.7L Hemi, and the 0-60 on it is about 5.7 to 5.2, depending on how your driving it, that 5speed is straight out of the Eclass/E55, its way smoother then anything from the Japanese and Domestics, and can take a beating, and go 100k between servicing, can't say that about a lot of transmissions, the 8speed is not suppose to make the car faster, it will but its more for gas mileage