Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford wages average $8/hour higher than non-union and foreign rivals

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-11, 10:51 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Ford wages average $8/hour higher than non-union and foreign rivals

Ford wages average $8/hour higher than non-union and foreign rivals

In the run up to the next round of negotiations between Ford and the United Auto Workers, the automaker has said it pays workers an average of $8 more per hour than its foreign and non-union rivals. By and large, foreign automakers with U.S. factories employ non-union labor, which helps keep labor costs reigned in.

According to the Blue Oval, its cost of labor has risen to $58/hour, while its competitors average $50/hour. The wage gap has persisted even after Ford negotiated concessions with the UAW that cut labor costs by $500 million in 2009.

Ford says it will be impossible to sustain a competitive business if it can't close the gap. Worse, Dearborn says the differential could eventually prevent the creation of new jobs. The company's $58/hour wage rate is a three-dollar hike over last year, thanks in large part to $5,000 profit sharing checks Ford cut each of its workers this year.

According to a company spokesperson, its wage rate would be closer to $56/hour without the profit sharing initiative.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/09/f...d-foreign-riv/
Old 05-09-11, 11:27 AM
Kymber317
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a lot of money per hour.
Old 05-09-11, 12:28 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I'm sorry but auto workers are paid way way to much. $58/hr ,even with benefits ,is to much to pay a person to do a job that a trained monkey or a teenager can do.
Old 05-09-11, 12:49 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

i think this included pension plans for old workers, which is probably largest part of the costs.
Old 05-09-11, 12:56 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Ok, where can I apply?

$50 an hour for hard labor? I'm all for it!

Beats doing security which is standing around and doing absolutely nothing.
Old 05-09-11, 02:06 PM
Squirrelz
Pole Position

That's inflated pay. Probably includes pensions, benefits, union costs, and finally their pay.
Old 05-09-11, 04:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I'm sorry but auto workers are paid way way to much. $58/hr ,even with benefits ,is to much to pay a person to do a job that a trained monkey or a teenager can do.

Building and assembling cars today is not chimp-level work. 30-40 years ago, a lot of things were screwed, welded, and bolted on by hand....and it showed in sloppy construction, loose-tolerances, and, sometimes, repetitive-motion injuries to the workers. Those days are gone. Today's cars, especially those from Honda/Acura and Lexus, are built to laser-like tolerances, often using precision machinery. Other manufacturers, notably Ford and Kia/Hyundai, also assemble cars with far greater precision than decades ago.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-09-11 at 04:36 PM.
Old 05-09-11, 04:37 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Building and assembling cars today is not chimp-level work. 30-40 years ago, a lot of things were screwed, welded, and bolted on by hand....and it showed in sloppy construction, loose-tolerances, and, sometimes, repetitive-motion injuries to the workers. Those days are gone. Today's cars are built to laser-like tolerances, often using precision machinery.
They are also many skill tradesman that can do things with their hands that some doctors wouldn’t be able to do in 40 years. But some jobs are mindless, no need to pay a material handler $25\hour as an example……….
Old 05-09-11, 04:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by spwolf
i think this included pension plans for old workers, which is probably largest part of the costs.
Originally Posted by Squirrelz
That's inflated pay. Probably includes pensions, benefits, union costs, and finally their pay.
I'm all for retired worker-pensions and health-insurance, especially for those who give 8 or more hours a day, for many years, to their company or organization. Too many people who don't get pensions or other good retirement packages end up depending on government-sponsored entitlement-programs that throw an added load on the taxpayers....and auto workers, of course, like most other people, also pay taxes.

It should also be pointed out that the more workers make on the job, pension or not, the more they can save up for their own retirement and not have to fall back on the taxpayer.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-09-11 at 04:54 PM.
Old 05-09-11, 04:51 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder what percentage uplift is in that fully-loaded hourly rate, (to put things into perspective)....
Old 05-09-11, 04:51 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Squirrelz
yes... i believe year ago article mentioned that pay is only half of the cost, which brings it down to more realistic $20-$25
Old 05-09-11, 04:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by J.P.
They are also many skill tradesman that can do things with their hands that some doctors wouldn’t be able to do in 40 years. But some jobs are mindless, no need to pay a material handler $25\hour as an example……….
You bring up an interesting point....perhaps these skilled tradespersons themelves are not being paid as much as they are really worth.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-09-11 at 04:56 PM.
Old 05-09-11, 05:35 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The cost of labor of $58 is not what the workers are paid. Its probably around $20 per hour salary for the worker, about $16 union stamps, and the rest is company's share of taxes and workers comp/liability insurance costs.

Companies with $8 lesses cost could actually be paying higher wages, but they don't pay union fees.
Old 05-09-11, 07:03 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Wow. You probably shouldn't read about European auto workers then.

Trained monkey's and teenagers can build a car. Got it.

Old 05-09-11, 07:08 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Are they including R&D and engineering in these costs? I'd really like to see the break down.. code/firmware aint cheap especially with all the microcontrollers on todays cars and not to mention myford sync (name?) system

Quick Reply: Ford wages average $8/hour higher than non-union and foreign rivals