Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Autocar: Lexus CT200h vs Audi A3 1.6 TDI vs BMW 320d ED vs Volvo S40 1.6

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-11, 08:59 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Andy
The Auris did indeed narrowly beat the previous model Golf in an Autobild test. The test was between two 2.0 litre diesel models and cheaper price of the Auris was the deciding factor. Autobild acknowledged that had both vehicles been the same price then the Golf would have won. There's nothing wrong with the Auris - it's a perfectly good car (and built in the UK) and I'm no great fan of the Golf, but in terms of interior quality/ambience, handling and engine choice it is superior. 5 mins in either will confirm that.

Whether the Auris warrants 2.5 stars and the Golf, 4 stars, is subjective. To sum up Autocar rates the Auris as "acceptable, average in key areas, but disappoints" and the Golf as "very good, very competitive in key areas, competitive in secondary respects", which is probably about right - bearing in mind that rating was given when the Auris was first released and since then the engines have been upgraded. I do think that now the Auris would score higher, in particular the hybrid, and I do think it'll be more reliable.

In fact, here's a good review of the Auris:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/road-tes...-auris-hybrid/
Well it is not that subjective if German magazine Autobild calls it better than Golf and Autocar calls it one of the worse cars in the class. Autobild win was very significant because it was first and still only car to beat Golf in 30 year history.

I think difference is vast between reviews (ie class leader vs class loser).

Yes, there is difference in perceived quality but at the same time, there is also measurable difference in reliability or should we call it true quality.

Personally I dont like Auris Hybrid at all, I would never get it at the prices they are selling it here.

I have been thinking between IS200d and CT200h myself lately... Both are pretty awesome, but IS220d F-Sport looks amazing.

What do you guys think?

I wish there is 200d F-Sport in my country, but there isnt. I might be able to get quite an deal on it, cheaper than comparable Avensis.