Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Generation '12 Camry will be available for sale in Sept.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-11, 07:44 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,464 Likes on 1,617 Posts

nice camsonatary!

seriously, looks good to me! i never expected it to be wild, but that looks better than super bland.
Old 05-13-11, 08:52 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Grill is terrible. Hated it on the Corolla and hate it on the Camry.
Old 05-13-11, 09:02 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would like to see the rear.

Will the taillights be as angular as the headlights?
Old 05-13-11, 09:15 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I would like to see the rear.
?
Vida Guerra fan I see

Old 05-13-11, 09:32 AM
LexusMan77
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Overall, it is on the bland side but it is a Camry after all so was not expecting anything wild. However, I would like to see the Camry SE. Headlights have a resemblance to the Acura TSX.
Old 05-13-11, 09:35 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusMan77
Overall, it is on the bland side but it is a Camry after all so was not expecting anything wild. However, I would like to see the Camry SE. Headlights have a resemblance to the Acura TSX.
A guy who works on the Camry line in KY on another forum says the SE is really nice.
He can't say much more but it's the best looking Camry by far.
Old 05-13-11, 02:07 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
A guy who works on the Camry line in KY on another forum says the SE is really nice.
He can't say much more but it's the best looking Camry by far.
How is it possible that real pics haven't been leaked yet when factory workers are already on it?

Old 05-13-11, 02:12 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
How is it possible that real pics haven't been leaked yet when factory workers are already on it?

Because of security like this:
Attached Thumbnails New Generation '12 Camry will be available for sale in Sept.-paul-blart-mall-cop.jpg  
Old 05-13-11, 02:30 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

last time around people got fired, so they learned their lesson :-)
Old 05-13-11, 03:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

coz' toyota has been pretty darn good at this
Old 05-13-11, 05:54 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

I want to see what this thing looks like badly. Hopefully the interior is top-notch.

Looks a lot like a mini-Mark X.

Last edited by 84Cressida; 05-13-11 at 10:46 PM.
Old 05-15-11, 03:14 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Same colors as previous models, tan, grey, and black. Gone are reclining rear seats. Added are apps, tri-tone leather, additional shifting options, and 5 star safety rating finishing on top of it's class. There is a new blue, not blue ribbon but very nice. Red has changed a bit too. Other colors were added that accentuate it very nicely.

It's a very nice product and will be seen at the dealers starting in mid to late August and everywhere in September.
also some dealer has put up preliminary and incomplete 2012 ordering page :-)

http://www.sansoneauto.com/new/index...USC20TOC021D0/

it seems it will have blind spot detection system too.. SE with 18" wheels.
Old 05-16-11, 10:05 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

So now the 2012 Camry will supposedly debut in August/September, without a major auto show debut? If the Camry is really debuting then, they SHOULD have shown off the new design at the New York auto show.

I don't understand the logic of debuting the new Camry with such little hype, other than possibly hiding the new design as long as possible from the competition.

As I mentioned earlier, I'll believe it when I see it. Insider word was wrong about the Camry debuting in New York, so now I am suspicious of any "insider" word regarding the new Camry until I see an official press release and official pictures from Toyota.
Old 05-16-11, 10:20 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

I wouldn't hold Toyota on the wire for this. There's a large amount of cars that do not make their debuts at autoshows. More often, a car breaks online first, then in magazines, then is showcased at the next big show. While this chain of events may lead to less media attention at first, it leads to the same amount of exposure and excitement for patrons and potential customers attending the show. Also an added benefit of showing up late is it extends the initial excitement over a longer period of time during it's first model year. Or in frank terms, instead of blowing your whole wad in the beginning, you get to milk the debut longer.
Old 05-16-11, 10:36 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I wouldn't hold Toyota on the wire for this. There's a large amount of cars that do not make their debuts at autoshows. More often, a car breaks online first, then in magazines, then is showcased at the next big show. While this chain of events may lead to less media attention at first, it leads to the same amount of exposure and excitement for patrons and potential customers attending the show. Also an added benefit of showing up late is it extends the initial excitement over a longer period of time during it's first model year. Or in frank terms, instead of blowing your whole wad in the beginning, you get to milk the debut longer.
I'm not mad at Toyota, so much as I am mad that the "insider" word was wrong on this. It would have been nice to get a statement from Toyota on when the new Camry was actually debuting, even if it was a statement just to industry outlets. Other than that, Toyota is not to blame here, since they technically did not officially commit to debuting it in New York (even if Jim Lentz alluded to it).

I do understand what you're saying. It looks like that is exactly what will happen with the Camry, although in a different manner. It seems the new Camry will break online first, then soon after appear at dealerships ready for sale, and only after that will it make magazines and the auto show circuit. I guess the main benefit would be people seeing it at the auto show would be able to immediately buy it since at that point it would be on sale already. I am still expecting the official auto show debut to be at the LA show.

Quick Reply: New Generation '12 Camry will be available for sale in Sept.