Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM struggles to retain customers from defunct GM brands

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-11, 02:07 PM
LexFather

Post GM struggles to retain customers from defunct GM brands

Funny but exactly one of the reasons I got scared away from the G8 GXP....what if Pontiac went away....

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...463666954.html

Tina Shaw and people like her are a big worry for General Motors Co.

Three times before in the last seven years, the 35-year-old stay-at-home mom bought cars from GM's now-defunct Saturn division. But when she shopped for a new ride a few months ago, the Ft. Worth, Texas, resident didn't bother checking out any GM models.

"We were a Saturn family all the way, but we had to look at other options" after GM discontinued the brand, she said. Ms. Shaw paid $18,000 for a pearl-white Nissan Motor Co. Cube, describing the boxy little car as the closest thing to a Saturn she could find. "I probably wouldn't have considered another kind of GM vehicle."

Ms. Shaw is one of more than three million Americans who are driving vehicles produced by the three GM divisions that were shuttered in the auto maker's 2009 bankruptcy reorganization—Saturn, Pontiac and Hummer.

GM is racing to hold onto those customers. Early results, such as Ms. Shaw's purchase of a rival's small SVU, and similar defections among Ford Motor Co.'s Mercury owners, show the car makers' uphill struggle to retain former customers.

So far this year, about 70% of customers who traded in a Pontiac this year replaced their car with a non-GM model; with Saturn that number rises to 71%. Ford, which killed its Mercury division last year, isn't doing any better. About 65% of the Mercury owners who have bought new cars this year have defected to auto makers other than Ford. Saab, now a subsidiary of Spyker Cars NV, recently halted production while its parent looks for a cash infusion.

In January and February, GM offered extra discounts of $1,000 to owners of its defunct-brands, putting more Pontiac and Saturn owners into other GM brands. Buyers who opted to stay with GM those months climbed, especially for Pontiac, which hung on to 57% of customers who traded in their vehicles, according to Edmunds.com. But the effort was controversial as Wall Street questioned whether the incentives were a sign that GM had returned to the old strategy of pushing market share over profits, which helped push it into bankruptcy court.

GM Roars, but Road Ahead Uncertain
GM reported higher first-quarter results on Thursday but some investors felt it had spent too freely on incentives in North America, resulting in a 3% stock-price drop.

GM North America President Mark Reuss defended the incentives in a recent interview, arguing it threw off competitors and helped hang onto existing customers at a critical time. The move was short-term and strategic, he said, not a return to GM's old ways.

"We fight tooth and nail to retain these customers," he said. "We caught a lot of [rivals] sleeping with" the elevated incentives offered to buyers in January and February.

The effort to retain customers is crucial if GM is going to regain market share in an increasingly competitive U.S. market. In Saturn's case, 23% of owners traded their Saturn for a Chevy, the most popular choice. But Toyota Motor Corp., Honda Motor Co. and Ford combined grabbed 35% of those shoppers, according to Edmunds.com Inc., operator of an auto-industry website.

In addition to incentives, GM works with its dealers to target potential defectors. It sends notices of special deals they can get and reminders encouraging them that GM has new Chevrolet, Buick, Cadillac and GMC models that they could consider when shopping for new vehicles.

GM dealers also are contributing to the effort. At Harry K Chevrolet Buick, in Chamberlain, S.D., every time a Pontiac owner drives in for service, the repair shop called the sales department. A salesperson then arrives to pitch the owner on purchasing a GM car or truck.

"Hopefully with the breadth of the Chevrolet line and new vehicles from Buick, we can bring those owners into the fold," said owner H. Douglas Knust. Even with the effort, he said, keeping customers will be a challenge because Pontiac owners may not find what they want in a Chevy.

Despite the defections, GM's overall sales are rising amid an economic recovery. The auto maker has gained market share so far this year—in large part because it now concentrates on its Chevrolet, Buick Cadillac and GMC brands. In the first quarter of this year, GM had U.S. market share of 19.4%, about flat with the 19.6% it held in January 2009, just before GM announced it would unload its other four brands.

Still, keeping the orphan-brand owners is critical, Mr. Knust said. "The onus is on us now to convert those owners, or else we're going to lose market share," he said.

Old 05-12-11, 02:08 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not as if Pontiac or Saturn had that many customers. Is Hertz taking their business elsewhere?
Old 05-12-11, 02:18 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I still think people are pissed about the bailout with GM and just scared in General of the instability. I am surprised to see the numbers for Ford. They seem to be getting their act together
Old 05-12-11, 02:30 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
It's not as if Pontiac or Saturn had that many customers. Is Hertz taking their business elsewhere?
Yes, bleeding/dead divisions making a lot of unprofitable fleet sales at the end.

Most of the unlucky last owners of Saturn/Pontiac/Olds/Hummer vehicles are stuck with rapidly depreciating crap that only leaves a bad impression about GM.
Old 05-12-11, 03:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I still think people are pissed about the bailout with GM and just scared in General of the instability.
^^ +1

Old 05-12-11, 03:44 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

My local dealer STILL has a brand-new G5 that has never been sold. They moved it to their used car section since techincally that's what all Pontiacs after Halloween are now, but it's never had an owner.
Old 05-12-11, 04:53 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

That's the problem when you shut down certain brands - what happens to the loyal customers who buy them?

Seems to me as if GM never even considered that scenario (hey, it's GM!) in the first place.

I actually thought Saturn had a lot of potential once they began using Opel-based cars. But with the weak marketing GM threw behind the brand they were doomed to fail. Saturn didn't quite stand for economy car and it certainly appealed to budget-minded youngsters, middle aged and senior citizens alike.

Pontiac had to go, though. There was far to much redundancy between Chevrolet and Pontiac. Before their death, Pontiac wasn't as sporty as they had been in the past. And I think most buyers eventually saw through the farce and simply went with a cheaper and more comfortable (barely) Chevrolet.

I'm happy that Buick and Cadillac are doing well, though. Their newer cars are certainly a huge step towards actually producing quality vehicles.
Old 05-12-11, 05:27 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 431 Likes on 355 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by DustinV
That's the problem when you shut down certain brands - what happens to the loyal customers who buy them?

Seems to me as if GM never even considered that scenario (hey, it's GM!) in the first place.

I actually thought Saturn had a lot of potential once they began using Opel-based cars. But with the weak marketing GM threw behind the brand they were doomed to fail. Saturn didn't quite stand for economy car and it certainly appealed to budget-minded youngsters, middle aged and senior citizens alike.

Pontiac had to go, though. There was far to much redundancy between Chevrolet and Pontiac. Before their death, Pontiac wasn't as sporty as they had been in the past. And I think most buyers eventually saw through the farce and simply went with a cheaper and more comfortable (barely) Chevrolet.

I'm happy that Buick and Cadillac are doing well, though. Their newer cars are certainly a huge step towards actually producing quality vehicles.
That's very true about Saturn. Back in the day they were known for being cheap economy cars. The newer ones seemed too expensive and seemed to be the opposite of what the original ones stood for. The new Saturns were pretty nice though/

I've always wondered what did they do with all of those Saturns, Pontiacs, and Hummers. The local Cadillac dealership services all of them, but I don't see any of them still for sale on the lots. It's like they all disappeared.
Old 05-12-11, 09:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV
That's why GM doesn't dare shut down Buick. It's bad enough that the loyal LeSabre/Park Avenue/Lucerne buyers will soon have to step down to smaller, less-cushy Buicks....they're p***ed off enough as it is. Of course, the new LaCrosse is attracing some new customers for Buick that weren't there before, as the new Regal is also likely to do.

Well, GM considered that many Olds customers, when that division shut down, would defect to Buick ....and they were pretty much correct. Some former Olds customers, however, defected to Mercury....but then Ford shut down THAT division, too.

Saturn started downhill over 10 years ago, when they turned their back on the bread-and-butter plastic-bodied S-models that made the company the huge success it was in the 90s. Those cars were reliable, innovative (like the spin-off transmision filter), and, of course, rust/dent/ding-resistant. They were replaced by the dreadful Ion and a bunch of Opel and GM-derived clones that completely lost track of what the company was supposed to be. GM's inept management of Saturn after 2000, IMO, bordered on criminal.

Agreed. Pontiac, unlike Saturn, deserved to go.

Cadillacs, though, according to Consumer Reports, still has some reliability problems. For instance, I like the CTS Sportwagon quite a bit, and would consider an AWD model, but, unlike Subarus, the below-average reliability concerns me.
Old 05-12-11, 10:17 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,935 Likes on 2,471 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Saturn started downhill over 10 years ago, when they turned their back on the bread-and-butter plastic-bodied S-models that made the company the huge success it was in the 90s. Those cars were reliable, innovative (like the spin-off transmision filter), and, of course, rust/dent/ding-resistant. They were replaced by the dreadful Ion and a bunch of Opel and GM-derived clones that completely lost track of what the company was supposed to be. GM's inept management of Saturn after 2000, IMO, bordered on criminal.
Not to say that these cars were all bad, but if you look at any auto wreckers, you will see dozens of Saturn's, sometimes 10 times more of them than other models that sold in the same numbers for a particular year. They are dreadful cars as they age, and the sub frame rusts horribly. Sure the plastic outer panels don't, but it does no good when the rest of the car rots away. Plus the plastic degrades and cracks, large pieces can fall right off the car. They fair especially poorly in harsh climates, in a mild climate they are reasonably reliable.
Old 05-12-11, 10:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Not to say that these cars were all bad, but if you look at any auto wreckers, you will see dozens of Saturn's, sometimes 10 times more of them than other models that sold in the same numbers for a particular year. They are dreadful cars as they age, and the sub frame rusts horribly. Sure the plastic outer panels don't, but it does no good when the rest of the car rots away. Plus the plastic degrades and cracks, large pieces can fall right off the car. They fair especially poorly in harsh climates, in a mild climate they are reasonably reliable.
The sub-frames couldn't have rusted out that quickly to the point where they got unsafe......if they did, insurance companies wouldn't have given the S-Series the very low insurance premiums they did. I myself had an SL-2, and was amazed at how low the premium was.....arguably the cheapest car to insure, in relative dollars, that I've ever owned. Insurance reps told me that rates were so low on the S-Series because they had an excellent safety record, people generally didn't get hurt or killed in them that much, they generally didn't get stolen much, and that, because of the clip-on/off plastic-panels, they were easy to repair after accidents.....sometimes you could even order the panels pre-painted.
Old 05-12-11, 11:26 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

[QUOTE=mmarshall;6385439]That's why GM doesn't dare shut down Buick. It's bad enough that the loyal LeSabre/Park Avenue/Lucerne buyers will soon have to step down to smaller, less-cushy Buicks....they're p***ed off enough as it is. Of course, the new LaCrosse is attracing some new customers for Buick that weren't there before, as the new Regal is also likely to do.

There is absolutely nothing special about Buick compared to Pontiac or Oldsmobile. Those other brands have the same long history, the same loyal customers, and the same name recognition as Buick. Pulling the plug on Pontiac and Buick hurt the feelings of many longtime GTO, Grand Prix, Firebird, and Cutlass owners, just as it would have hurt the feelings of Buick owners and enthusiasts if Buick died. GM could have pulled the plug on any three brands and it all would have been the same reaction across the board.

As far as I'm concerned, Buick should have been the first to go. They turned into a sad display of fuddy-duddy cars with horrifically outdated interiors. Olds was the only brand with some potential, but the Aurora alone could not keep the company going.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 05-12-11 at 11:31 PM.
Old 05-14-11, 09:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy
There is absolutely nothing special about Buick compared to Pontiac or Oldsmobile.
I respect your opinion, but have to disagree. When Olds folded, Buick was arguably the only division left at GM making more or less similiar vehicles. Mercury, over at Ford, of course, was also a viable option...but then Ford pulled THEIR plug, too. That's why I think it will be foolish for Buick to dump the Lucerne instead of keeping it and giving it the updates it needs....such as a higher-quality interior and more transmission gears. There are some who disagree with me (and I accept that), but I feel strongly on that position.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-14-11 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-14-11, 09:50 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Year to date thru April the Lucerne is selling pretty decent.

About 11k sold +38% vs. last year. The LaCrosse sold 18.5k and was -5% which was surprising.

Maybe there still is hope for Lucerne if it fits into GM's long term plans?
Old 05-14-11, 09:53 AM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I still think people are pissed about the bailout with GM and just scared in General of the instability. I am surprised to see the numbers for Ford. They seem to be getting their act together
Of course they are pissed. However, and in typical US fashion, give it time and people will completely forget about it. Too many people in this country live scandal to scandal on their televisions, so to speak.

Quick Reply: GM struggles to retain customers from defunct GM brands