Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Equus sales numbers

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-12, 02:08 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Sales # is out, according to Autoblog:

"Last year, 3,193 Equus models went home to loving families, and while that's not a huge number by any stretch of the imagination, the figure is well better than the 2,000 units Hyundai expected to sell."

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/28/2...k-spin-review/

To all who don't believe Hyundai can make it in the top premium segment, Hyundai is here to stay. The next gen 5LS better be REALLY good.
those are really low numbers though, considering how much cheaper the car is than competition. Not to mention how every long term review mentioned worn out leather, seats within 6 months, not sure there is a reason to congrulate anyone on anything.

it is like lexus saying they expect 10k of GS sales per month and then we all be amazed at 30k number in first year.
Old 03-29-12, 03:29 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I have a feeling the Equus will become the next VW Phaeton . Brand rep, and image mean a lot more in this price rage than if the car was a 20-30k average midsize
Old 03-29-12, 03:45 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I have a feeling the Equus will become the next VW Phaeton . Brand rep, and image mean a lot more in this price rage than if the car was a 20-30k average midsize
my sentiments exactly. Both are nice cars don't get me wrong, but I don't see them making an impact, and ultimately pulling it from (our) market in a few years.
Old 04-03-12, 11:15 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Sales # is out, according to Autoblog:

"Last year, 3,193 Equus models went home to loving families, and while that's not a huge number by any stretch of the imagination, the figure is well better than the 2,000 units Hyundai expected to sell."

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/28/2...k-spin-review/

To all who don't believe Hyundai can make it in the top premium segment, Hyundai is here to stay. The next gen 5LS better be REALLY good.
Yes, well Hyundai simply CANNOT make it in the TOP premium segment until it comes up with a proper luxury brand with properly executed vehicles. These sales figures don't change that.

Calling Equus sales great is like saying the VW Phaeton was a sales success in North America, which is laughable. The Equus is a lot cheaper than the LS and any other true prestige luxury sedans, and yet a lot less Equus are sold than any of those sedans. There's nothing great about that.
Old 04-04-12, 05:50 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,369 Likes on 1,554 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Yes, well Hyundai simply CANNOT make it in the TOP premium segment until it comes up with a proper luxury brand with properly executed vehicles. These sales figures don't change that.
'top premium segment' - lol i disagree that they have to have a separate 'proper' luxury brand (trying to imitate top gear now? ) and i think the equus and genesis are 'properly executed' vehicles. are they perfect? no. are they 'premium luxury vehicles'? yes they are. are they eating mb/lexus/bmw lunch? of course not, but they're eating into someone's sales, most likely infiniti, acura, and some lexus.

Calling Equus sales great is like saying the VW Phaeton was a sales success in North America, which is laughable.
according to this, the best year for phaeton was 2004 when they sold 1939 units, or half of equus sales.

The Equus is a lot cheaper than the LS and any other true prestige luxury sedans, and yet a lot less Equus are sold than any of those sedans. There's nothing great about that.
you have to start somewhere, and obviously an 'unknown upstart' coming out with a 60k car will have a lot of people skeptical. when lexus did it, they also got a new dealer network, and spent a BUNDLE on EXCELLENTLY conceived and executed marketing. but with the economy in rough shape, i don't blame hyundai starting out much more modestly, especially since it doesn't cost a lot as they sell (lots of) the car in their own domestic market.

poo poo it all you want, but both equus and genesis sales continue to rise.
Old 04-04-12, 07:02 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I refuse to credit Genesis sales "rising" until Hyundai splits the Genesis coupe and sedan sales. Two entirely different vehicles, yet grouped together sales-wise. Clearly Hyundai groups them because one sells better than the other, and having them grouped allows one of them to mask and hide the sales of the other.

Until then, we don't know for sure if the Genesis sedan is selling great or not.

We'll see how long these sales last.
Old 04-04-12, 07:10 PM
LexFather

They do fine for Hyundai. People need to simply **** about bringing up "OMG LEXUS BETTER WATCH IT" when Lexus isn't worried nor has anything to worry about, nor BMW, Benz, Audi.....the other luxury brands yeah....

For goodness sakes these cars are not new, the Genesis has been out for 3-4 years now, the Equus a good year and Lexus if PERFECTLY FINE. There was no mass exodus. They drive blander and more boring than a Lexus yet don't get bashed for that. Lexus got bashed for years for being soft/bland driving cars.

The Equus met sales goals, its an AMZING accomplishment for Hyundai and we should leave it at that.

Old 04-04-12, 07:16 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
'top premium segment' - lol i disagree that they have to have a separate 'proper' luxury brand (trying to imitate top gear now? ) and i think the equus and genesis are 'properly executed' vehicles. are they perfect? no. are they 'premium luxury vehicles'? yes they are. are they eating mb/lexus/bmw lunch? of course not, but they're eating into someone's sales, most likely infiniti, acura, and some lexus.

according to this, the best year for phaeton was 2004 when they sold 1939 units, or half of equus sales.

you have to start somewhere, and obviously an 'unknown upstart' coming out with a 60k car will have a lot of people skeptical. when lexus did it, they also got a new dealer network, and spent a BUNDLE on EXCELLENTLY conceived and executed marketing. but with the economy in rough shape, i don't blame hyundai starting out much more modestly, especially since it doesn't cost a lot as they sell (lots of) the car in their own domestic market.

poo poo it all you want, but both equus and genesis sales continue to rise.
obviously every sale Hyundai makes, it is taken from Toyota/Lexus sales. So Toyota/Lexus better watch out... Camry is done for and so is Avalon and Corolla and Rav4, and..........

:-)