Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Equus sales numbers

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-11, 03:17 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Equus sales numbers

Has Hyundai released any info on how many Equus' have been sold? I'm curious to see if they are selling any. I have only seen one on the road here in LA.
Old 05-12-11, 03:26 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

they release numbers every month.

in april they sold 222
in march, 241

since it began selling, a total of 950
Old 05-12-11, 03:36 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Surprisingly weak sales numbers, not unlike numbers generated by RL, ZDX, Tribecca....
Old 05-12-11, 09:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

With the Equus, like with VW and the Phaeton, you can lead a thirsty horse to water, but...........................(you can't make him drink)

If auto companies produce good, bargain-priced luxury cars, and the public won't buy them, that's not necessarily the company's fault. The public is often fickle and unpredictable.....that's part of the nature of the auto buisness.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-12-11 at 09:26 PM.
Old 05-12-11, 09:51 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Maybe part of the problem is that Hyundai is not keeping these cars around the lot or in the showroom for people to test drive them?

My local Hyundai dealers don't even have a single Equus on their lots.... One came in at a point but it was an ordered vehicle that was picked up shortly after.
Old 05-12-11, 10:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Maybe part of the problem is that Hyundai is not keeping these cars around the lot or in the showroom for people to test drive them?

My local Hyundai dealers don't even have a single Equus on their lots.... One came in at a point but it was an ordered vehicle that was picked up shortly after.
There are some Hyundai dealerships where you won't (and can't) find any Equus models....for a reason. Like with VW and the former U.S-market Phaeton, company-management approves the Equus for sale only at certain Hyundai franchises. Your local Hyundai shop(s) might not be among them.

That's why, when I reviewed an Equus a few months ago, I first had to do a little hunting myself. And, even then, I didn't get as much of a test-drive as I actually wanted (just barely enough for a review)

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-12-11 at 10:53 PM.
Old 05-12-11, 11:14 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

It's the company. They overshot their wad. Hyundai is building a good business case for cars like the Equus, but it's too soon to be jumping in this high. The Genesis has not cemented itself (yet) as a household name nor has it been a big success for the company. Yet they give us the Equus a few years later? Too soon. The Genesis needs to hit the mark, make a bigger impact, and lay a more secure foundation for luxury models. Only then can the company grow ontop of that with cars like the Equus. Too much too soon.
Old 05-13-11, 12:18 AM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Genesis looks nice, although not very original or inspiring. It's a bargain luxury car and looks decent. The Equus, IMO, still looks too frumpy to be the flagship of a major manufacturer.
Old 05-13-11, 04:15 AM
vollandt
Driver

I wander how these numbers match up with their targets. I didn't get the impression they were looking to move huge numbers. FWIW, with target price on carsdirect and carsoverstock are both at full retail, i'd take that as in indicator that there isn't quite enough supply to meet demand.
Old 05-13-11, 05:32 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

I'm not sure what Hyundai was going for with the Equus... I liked my Sonata & I love the Genesis (and the new upgraded R-spec ROCKS!!!! ) but personally I have no interest in the Equus, no appeal for me externally....
Old 05-13-11, 05:41 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
There are some Hyundai dealerships where you won't (and can't) find any Equus models....for a reason. Like with VW and the former U.S-market Phaeton, company-management approves the Equus for sale only at certain Hyundai franchises. Your local Hyundai shop(s) might not be among them.

That's why, when I reviewed an Equus a few months ago, I first had to do a little hunting myself. And, even then, I didn't get as much of a test-drive as I actually wanted (just barely enough for a review)
While shopping online for a daily driver I noticed that roughly 1/2 of the area Hyundai dealerships around here are Equus dealers.
Old 05-13-11, 07:08 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think numbers are fine for a brand with a perception of Hyundai. I think Equus is there to imporve that perception rather than to make sales numbers.
Old 05-13-11, 08:17 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by vollandt
I wonder how these numbers match up with their targets. I didn't get the impression they were looking to move huge numbers. FWIW, with target price on carsdirect and carsoverstock are both at full retail, i'd take that as in indicator that there isn't quite enough supply to meet demand.
Hyundai, from Day 1, stated that they were only expecting to sell 3000 of the Equus in it's first year. They are on pace to sell roughly that or just shy or it.

Imo, they were hedging and hoping that the car exploded and sold well beyond expectations due to the current economic climate and the fact that many were trying to downplay their wealth. That clearly didn't happen. Either way they were playing it safe so they didn't make themselves look foolish.

They also didn't make any significant dent in the sales of the other true Tier 1 flagships (ie. 7 series, S-class, LS or A8). As I've said before, imo, the sales of the Equus are clearly due to people that can't truly afford Tier 1 flagships, trying to come up market, rather than Tier 1 flagship owners "downgrading".
Old 05-13-11, 08:50 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Both Genesis and Equus are more of an marketing for them than sales.
Old 05-13-11, 09:37 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Marketing a sort of low-profile/largely unnoticed flagship(s) I guess...

Quick Reply: Equus sales numbers