Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Report: Hyundai Genesis won't get all-wheel drive until next gen

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-11, 07:04 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I am in general very surprised it took so long for automakers to bring AWD to sedans. Most American cars in the past were essentially truck based and it shouldn't have been difficult to add AWD option to them. I know that even many of the early Japanese cars had AWD option in Canada - Corolla/Civic wagon, etc. I know that JDM Lexus GS had AWD option from the first generation.

Right now AWD sedans are proving very popular here in NY. I barely ever see IS/GS sedans without the AWD badge, and now that LS has an AWD option, I see it more and more often. Mercedes and BMW sedans with 4matic and X-drive option are also extremely popular. I wonder if CamCordTima will ever have AWD option - but thats probably going to make a huge dent in the SUV sales.
Old 05-15-11, 11:35 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I think this is a mistake. Its like neglecting the entire northeast.
Old 05-16-11, 06:59 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Ehhh... don't forget us northen central prisoners....
Old 05-16-11, 09:10 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,408 Likes on 1,579 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Here in NE, its essential to have AWD.
uh, essential for marketing reasons maybe, but certainly not essential to get around. NY cabs have been boat-like old Impalas forever, for example. 99% of the time people don't need it. and the other 1% of the time i recommend most people stay off the road anyway!

also, the gs awd looks TERRIBLE with the front wheel gap - so if that's what it would do to a genesis, they should do it right like audi.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
the AWD hardware is there, and was developed long ago.....for the Tucson, Santa-Fe, and Veracruz.

Originally Posted by Och
^ The AWD hardware in those vehicles is probably made around what started as FWD drivetrain, and cannot be directly installed on the RWD Genesis.

Originally Posted by Och
I am in general very surprised it took so long for automakers to bring AWD to sedans. Most American cars in the past were essentially truck based and it shouldn't have been difficult to add AWD option to them.
lol - sorry, but that's just crazy talk. the old truck 4wd systems had manually or button push locking center diffs and also most couldn't even switch from 2wd to 4wd while MOVING (which never made a lot of sense to me, but it was a compromise to give a more capable 4wd system when engaged vs. the viscous coupling type awd setup). such a compromised and BULKY/HEAVY system would have been a load of shat on the old american sedans.

I wonder if CamCordTima will ever have AWD option - but thats probably going to make a huge dent in the SUV sales.
they're fwd sedans which don't need the awd as bad as the rwd sedans.

bottom line - it's NOT EASY to add awd to a sleek sedan and make it work well and look good. lexus hasn't pulled it off yet. audi, bmw, mercedes do a WAY better job, but then they've been at it for decades and were doing it before they even had SUVs (except the monster G wagon ).

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Ehhh... don't forget us northen central prisoners....
again, from a marketing perspective - most people do NOT need awd except for a few days a year, maybe. is it a nice to have, and add some cachet to a vehicle? sure. i had an rx300 awd but frankly, i don't think i needed the awd at all. but then i was in atlanta. but don't snicker, they do get ice storms there! but even 8 wheel drive wouldn't help then.
Old 05-16-11, 12:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I am in general very surprised it took so long for automakers to bring AWD to sedans.
Car-based AWD, with a center-differential, actually goes back some 30 years.....to the AMC Eagle and Eagle SX-4 of 1980-82. A couple of years later, Audi and Subaru started doing even better AWD systems for their products. But, outside of a few pioneering automakers like these, yes, it did take some time for automakers to start installing it.
Old 05-16-11, 01:00 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what's Hyundai leaving on the table (by not implementing AWD on the Genesis), maybe another 10% to 15% in sales on a sales base that isn't very high.
Old 05-16-11, 01:06 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

you have to start somewhere, cant expect Hyundai to have it all right away... but lets look at it this way - if IS or GS lose AWD, i would absolutely hate it.
Old 05-16-11, 08:25 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
you have to start somewhere, cant expect Hyundai to have it all right away... but lets look at it this way - if IS or GS lose AWD, i would absolutely hate it.
Oh yeah, I forgot Lexus Europe does not offer AWD (except on SUVs and/or Lexus LS Hybrid).

Anyways, it will take time, though hopefully, the Koreans can get AWD into more of their vehicles. Can't get them to get it right at the first try.

It's like how it took them a year or two to get shift lock feature on all their automatic transmissions.

Everyone has to start from somewhere
Old 05-17-11, 09:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
So what's Hyundai leaving on the table (by not implementing AWD on the Genesis), maybe another 10% to 15% in sales on a sales base that isn't very high.
That was partly my point earlier. They could have (and should have, IMO) offered AWD some time ago on better-selling sedans like the Sonata and Elantra. Ford and Buick recognized the need, and offer it on the Fusion/MKZ and Buick LaCrosse.
Old 05-17-11, 09:26 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

That was partly my point earlier. They could have (and should have, IMO) offered AWD some time ago on better-selling sedans like the Sonata and Elantra. Ford and Buick recognized the need, and offer it on the Fusion/MKZ and Buick LaCrosse.
Yes, but as I said 10-15% sales increase on Genesis isn't much and still would leave this as a slow-selling car. Genesis needs work no doubt to get more sales traction and I expect next gen to address AWD and other issues.

And the Sonata and Elantra are selling very well even without AWD, outselling every car mentioned including the Fusion, MKZ, LaCrosse.
Old 05-17-11, 09:27 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't you think your asking to much. The Camry and Accord don't offer AWD so why would they offer something like that on a Sonata and Elantra. Truthfully I could care less about AWD. If it's that bad outside maybe I should stay home. Fwd should be enough or I should move.
Old 05-17-11, 10:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rogers2
Don't you think your asking to much. The Camry and Accord don't offer AWD so why would they offer something like that on a Sonata and Elantra. Truthfully I could care less about AWD. If it's that bad outside maybe I should stay home. Fwd should be enough or I should move.
Your views are not alone.....a number of potential car-buyers agree with you. I myself don't totally agree, but I respect your opinion. The Camry and Accord, BTW, do offer AWD in the American market if you consider their Venza and Crosstour spin-offs. Hyundai and Kia, unfortunately, have nothing that competes directly with them (and the Subaru Legacy/Outback).......one has to look at the Hyundai/Kia SUV line-up instead.