Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Report: Hyundai Genesis won't get all-wheel drive until next gen

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-11, 10:47 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Report: Hyundai Genesis won't get all-wheel drive until next gen

Report: Hyundai Genesis won't get all-wheel drive until next gen

According to the sleuths at Car and Driver, the current Hyundai Genesis won't come with all-wheel drive. Instead, buyers will have to wait until at least 2014 before the traction-adding tech shows up on the company's luxury four-door. That may also mean that the Genesis Coupe and the lengthy Equus will miss out on all-wheel drive for another few years until the Korean automaker can come up with a refreshed platform. Hyundai CEO John Krafcik has long made it clear that the Genesis twins and the Equus would receive an all-wheel drive option in the future, but we were hoping that we'd see a variant of the refreshed-for-2012 model that churns from all four wheels.

As Car and Driver points out, the Genesis Sedan has seen fairly strong sales since its introduction, and the addition of all-wheel drive will likely help the model inch ever closer toward that magic 30,000 unit-per-year mark. Unfortunately, with at least three years before an all-new model touches down, buyers will have to content themselves with the rash of more powerful engines, a reworked suspension and refined visuals that Hyundai recently unveiled.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/13/r...ntil-next-gen/
Old 05-15-11, 05:01 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I like the refreshed grille. Adding AWD should make this car more alluring
Old 05-15-11, 05:19 PM
LexFather

They need a lot of help as sales have been nothing like expected.

Old 05-15-11, 05:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Hyundai, IMHO, should have been adding AWD to at least some of their regular passenger-cars some time ago. I've mentioned that to their reps several times. Subaru needs some good AWD competition in their price-class, and Hyundai would be one of the best brands for it. The Genesis, though, is beyond the price-range of most Subarus.
Old 05-15-11, 05:48 PM
LexFather

It takes time, this is their first attempt.....AWD seems to be growing with consumers for whatever reason(s)

Old 05-15-11, 05:49 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

^^^ Not everyone lives in sunny Georgia and Florida Mike

Here in NE, its essential to have AWD. I seldom even see non AWD IS/GS here.
Old 05-15-11, 06:04 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Och
^^^ Not everyone lives in sunny Georgia and Florida Mike

Here in NE, its essential to have AWD. I seldom even see non AWD IS/GS here.
Sounds like the opposite of **** Cheney

Old 05-15-11, 06:06 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Huh? Whats Diсk Cheney got to do with this?
Old 05-15-11, 06:09 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Och
Huh? Whats Diсk Cheney got to do with this?
Think about it

Old 05-15-11, 06:11 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Either I'm slow today, or I should be smoking whatever you're smoking
Old 05-15-11, 06:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Hyundai, IMHO, should have been adding AWD to at least some of their regular passenger-cars some time ago. I've mentioned that to their reps several times. Subaru needs some good AWD competition in their price-class, and Hyundai would be one of the best brands for it. The Genesis, though, is beyond the price-range of most Subarus.
Maybe 2 demerits for me? .......I forgot about both the Ford Fusion and Suzuki Kizashi AWDs (both excellent cars)...right in the middle of Subaru's price-range. There's also the Toyota Matrix AWD.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
It takes time, this is their first attempt.....

Agreed, but the AWD hardware is there, and was developed long ago.....for the Tucson, Santa-Fe, and Veracruz. The Veracruz's AWD hardware, of course, probably would be the best-suited of the three for an easy conversion to the lower-stance Genesis sedan.

AWD seems to be growing with consumers for whatever reason
This, of course, is the main one...................

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-15-11 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-15-11, 06:18 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

^ The AWD hardware in those vehicles is probably made around what started as FWD drivetrain, and cannot be directly installed on the RWD Genesis.
Old 05-15-11, 06:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
^ The AWD hardware in those vehicles is probably made around what started as FWD drivetrain, and cannot be directly installed on the RWD Genesis.
Good point, Och. . I hadn't consided that....or just let it slip. The Genesis has a longitudinal (front-rear) engine-mount, rather than a transverse (side-to-side) one. The AWD system in the Kia Borrego (which Hyundai owns) might have some usable components, but it was primarily designed for a truck-based, body-on-frame SUV rather than a unibody sedan.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-15-11 at 06:45 PM.
Old 05-15-11, 06:45 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Maybe so. I can't say for sure, as I'm not an engineer. But I do know that most of the Hyundai/Kia car-based SUVs were done at least partly off of sedan platforms (the truck-based, body-on-frame, Kia Borrego may have been an exception). So the conversion, as I see it, shouldn't be that difficult. Mercedes, for example, uses modified forms of the 4-Matic hardware from its ML-series SUVs on its C, E, and S-class cars. BMW does the same with the X3/X5-derived AWD on its xi sedans/coupes. Ford found an easy way to put the Escape's AWD hardware on the Fusion/MKZ.
Mike, but those Kia/Hyundai/Ford SUVs ared base on FWD sedans, with engines placed sideways, and completely different transmission that is mounted to the side. You cant mate it to the pure RWD genesis.

C, E, and S class are all RWD sedans and therefore they can borrow ML's hardware, which was originally based off a RWD truck platform. Ditto with BMW.

Its best to compared AWD RX to AWD LS/GS/IS - they are completely different setups, that cannot be interchanged at all.
Old 05-15-11, 06:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Mike, but those Kia/Hyundai/Ford SUVs ared base on FWD sedans, with engines placed sideways, and completely different transmission that is mounted to the side. You cant mate it to the pure RWD genesis.

C, E, and S class are all RWD sedans and therefore they can borrow ML's hardware, which was originally based off a RWD truck platform. Ditto with BMW.

Its best to compared AWD RX to AWD LS/GS/IS - they are completely different setups, that cannot be interchanged at all.
You're correct, Och...see my reply in post #13. I hadn't considered the Genesis's engine-mount.

Quick Reply: Report: Hyundai Genesis won't get all-wheel drive until next gen