Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

400,000th Mercedes S class leaves the factory

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-11, 11:55 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400,000th Mercedes S class leaves the factory

I may have actually seen this car today on the way to work. I wasn't near the Mercedes factory but parallel to the road I used there are train tracks leading north to the major shipping cities of Bremen and Hamburg. I saw a single silver-colored W221 S class on it along with a bunch of US-spec C classes and a few E classes on a transport train. I assume these cars are being transported to either Hamburg or Bremen where they are loaded unto ships for export. The silver S class just stuck out amongst that crowd.

Anyway, the 400,000th W211 is an S400 Hybrid and it is destined for the Asian market.

Im Mercedes-Benz Werk Sindelfingen läuft die 400.000ste S-Klasse vom Band

von Markus Jordan | 13.Mai 2011

Die S-Klasse Mitarbeiter im Mercedes-Benz Werk Sindelfingen hatten Grund zu feiern: Seit dem Produktionsstart 1995 haben sie heute die 400.000ste S-Klasse vom Band rollen lassen.

Auf seine S-Klasse 400 Hybrid in silbermetallic, ausgestattet mit vielen Assistenzsystemen, wartet ein stolzer und treuer Kunde der Marke in Freiburg.

„Jede S-Klasse, die unser Werk verlässt, ist ein Beispiel für Top-Qualität. Damit das so bleibt, dafür bürgt eine hochqualifizierte Mannschaft, die jede S-Klasse so produziert, als wäre es ihre eigene. ‚Das Beste oder nichts’ war schon immer unser Leitspruch“, betonte Arno Müller, Abteilungsleiter Montage S-Klasse.

Seit dem Marktdebüt 2005 ist die Mercedes-Benz S-Klasse in der Luxusklasse nicht zu schlagen. „Die aktuelle Baureihe ist mit 400.000 produzierten Fahrzeugen die erfolgreichste Luxuslimousine der Welt und Maßstab des automobilen Fortschritts“, so Dr. Willi Reiss, Leiter Mercedes-Benz Werk Sindelfingen. Damit schreibt der Trendsetter in Sachen automobile Innovationen die Erfolgsgeschichte seiner Vorgänger nahtlos fort. Die S-Klasse trifft weltweit auf herausragende Akzeptanz. Das Top-Modell von Mercedes-Benz gilt dank innovativer Technik, höchstem Komfort und wegweisender Sicherheitssysteme zu recht als Vorreiter der Automobilentwicklung.

Mit der Modellpflege im Jahr 2009 erhielt die S-Klasse ein noch dynamischeres Design, noch mehr Komfort und zukunftsweisende Innovationen. Damit untermauerte sie ihren Anspruch als Maßstab des automobilen Fortschritts. Die Kombination modernster Assistenz- und Schutzsysteme machen die S-Klasse zu einem „denkenden“ Partner, der sehen, fühlen, bei erkannter Gefahr reflexartig reagieren und autonom handeln kann, um Unfälle zu verhindern oder die Unfallfolgen zu vermindern.

Nachtsicht-Assisten PLUS, Adaptiver Fernlicht-Assistent, Spurhalte-Assistent, Geschwindigkeits-Assistent, Müdigkeitserkennung ATTENTION ASSIST oder die modifizierte Active Body Control (ABC) mit Seitenwindstabilisierung tragen neben weiteren Systemen zu mehr Sicherheit und Gelassenheit im Straßenverkehr bei.

Zu den Technologie-Highlights in der Baureihe zählt der weltweit erste serienmäßige Hybridantrieb mit Lithium-Ionen-Batterie im S 400 Hybrid, der das Mercedes-Benz Spitzenmodell zur sparsamsten Luxus-Limousine mit Ottomotor macht.

Der Kraftstoffverbrauch von 7,9 Liter pro 100 Kilometer entspricht einem Kohlendioxidausstoß von 186 Gramm pro Kilometer. Der S 400 Hybrid avanciert damit zum „CO2–Champion der Luxusklasse“.

Ein Champion ist die S-Klasse auch, wenn es um die Sammlung von Auszeichnungen geht: Auto motor sport 2007, 2008 und 2011, „die besten Autos“ im Segment Luxusklasse oder 2009 von Autoscout 24 der Internet Award „Beste Innovation“. Im Bereich Kundenzufriedenheit punktet die S-Klasse ebenfalls. 2009 erhielt sie den J.D. Power Gold Award. 2010 wurde sie als bestes Premiumfahrzeug und als bestes Mercedes-Benz Modell nach Ausführungsqualität auszgezeichnet.

Source: http://blog.mercedes-benz-passion.co...asse-vom-band/
Old 05-13-11, 12:28 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

congrats to MBZ. S-Class 63AMG is my fav full size lux sedan
Old 05-13-11, 12:50 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

me too. There is still nothing that can surpass the s class AMG. To bad Lexus never built a monster to compete. This is why Mercedes will always have more of that reputation and image ( well that and their history)
Old 05-13-11, 12:57 PM
kikcaffine
Lead Lap

lovely, interesting that its a hybrid, I wonder if it was planned that way
Old 05-13-11, 01:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

wow this is quite impressive. 400k units of a car in this price range / segment, quite good!

btw, dustin, i think you mean w221 not w211
Old 05-13-11, 01:45 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

For those of you, like myself, who do not fluently read German.

courtesy of goggle translate

To its S-Class 400 hybrid in silver metallic, with lots of assistance systems, maintains a proud and loyal customer of the mark in Freiburg.

"Every S-Class, which leaves our factory is an example of top quality. Keep it that way, it guarantees a highly skilled team that produces each S-class as if it were their own. , The best or nothing 'has always been our motto, "said Arno Müller, Head mount S-Class.

Since its market debut in 2005, the Mercedes-Benz S-Class can not be beaten in the luxury class. "The current series, with 400,000 vehicles produced the most successful luxury sedan in the world and scale of automotive progress," says Dr. William Reiss, head of Mercedes-Benz plant in Sindelfingen. This writes the trendsetter in terms of automotive innovations continuing the success of his predecessor seamless. The S-Class meets on outstanding worldwide acceptance. The top model from Mercedes-Benz is thanks to innovative technology, highest comfort and pioneering security systems rather than a pioneer of automotive development.

With the facelift in 2009 received the S-Class even more dynamic design, more comfort and trend-setting innovations. So she backed up her claim as a measure of automotive progress. Combining the most advanced assistance and protection systems make the S-class to a "thoughtful" partner that look, feel, react instinctively and independently identified risk can act to prevent accidents or mitigate the consequences of accidents.

Night View Assist PLUS, Adaptive High-Beam Assist, Lane Assistant, Speed ​​Assistant, drowsiness detection ATTENTION ASSIST or the modified Active Body Control (ABC) and crosswind stability contribute, among other systems when more secure and calm in traffic.

Among the technological highlights of the series in the world's first production hybrid with a lithium-ion battery in the S 400 Hybrid, the Mercedes-Benz flagship model makes the most economical luxury saloon with a petrol engine.

The fuel consumption of 7.9 liters per 100 kilometers corresponds to carbon dioxide emissions of 186 grams per kilometer. The S 400 HYBRID the "CO2 champion in the luxury class."

A champion is the S-Class when it comes to the collection of awards: auto motor sport in 2007, 2008 and 2011, "the best cars" in the luxury segment of cars or 2009 24 of the Internet Scout Award "Best Innovation". To customer satisfaction, the S-Class also scores. In 2009 she received the J.D. Power Gold Award. 2010 she was auszgezeichnet as the best premium vehicle and as the best Mercedes-Benz model to execution quality.
Old 05-13-11, 02:15 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
me too. There is still nothing that can surpass the s class AMG. To bad Lexus never built a monster to compete. This is why Mercedes will always have more of that reputation and image ( well that and their history)
Thanks for the flame bait.
Old 05-13-11, 02:41 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Thanks for the flame bait.
LOL Sometimes the truth hurts. The fact is that Lexus has nothing even close to matching an animal like the S65. The boys at AMG produce Super sedans. Lexus produces luxury sedans. Its funny how a fact that does not shed light on Lexus is "flame bait". Some need to grow up and accept the fact that Lexus is not the peak in every category.....just the practical ones LOL. The fact of the matter is that with Mercedes' relationship with AMG they have produced monsters with unmatched power in their respective classes. Im sure the boys at Lexus and US will survive. Lexus is after the dollar and volume. Mercedes on the other hand is going after a title belt with these AMG cars (of course they want volume but these AMG cars are a symbol to the world that Mercedes will not be beaten in the monster sedan category that does not exist at Lexus). I will retract the statement as soon as Lexus produces a 600 hp sedan with a twin turbo V12. Mercedes still goes into realms where Lexus will not tread. This is why they have a bit more of that panache and reputation. Reputation for reliability is one thing but a reputation for performance with almost a 130 yr history still says a lot

Please realize that a statement praising a brand other than Lexus is not generally "flame bait"
Old 05-13-11, 03:09 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
Indeed. My mistake.
Old 05-13-11, 03:30 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
wow this is quite impressive. 400k units of a car in this price range / segment, quite good!

I am still in the dark when it comes to the chassis codes for Mercedes and BMW. I have looked on the forums but it seems a bit confusing. Then again the Japanese chassis codes are weird also
Old 05-13-11, 03:43 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A well deserved celebration.
Old 05-13-11, 04:16 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Its pretty impressive by itself but when you consider the price point of these S class vehicles its even more impressive
Old 05-13-11, 04:33 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I am still in the dark when it comes to the chassis codes for Mercedes and BMW. I have looked on the forums but it seems a bit confusing. Then again the Japanese chassis codes are weird also
They are indeed confusing!

I remember reading something about the W124 E class in terms of chassis codes. The sedan was the W124, the estate was the S124, the coupe was the C124 and the convertible was coded A124.

The same logic applies to say the W203 C class. The estate is the S203, logically. But the C class sportcoupe was called CL203.

What can you say? The Germans are a complex bunch.
Old 05-13-11, 04:55 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

congrats to benz,,,s class is one of my fav sedans out there still,,,
Old 05-13-11, 06:03 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

How many LS' has Lexus sold/built?

Quick Reply: 400,000th Mercedes S class leaves the factory