Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Report: New Yorkers get spooky LED skeleton reminder to obey speed limits

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-11, 06:27 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Report: New Yorkers get spooky LED skeleton reminder to obey speed limits

Report: New Yorkers get spooky LED skeleton reminder to obey speed limits

Drivers in New York City can expect to be met with a new reminder of the local 30-mile-per-hour speed limit this summer. According to The New York Times, the Big Apple's transportation department will unveil a speed board that will flash a custom skeleton animation toward drivers who are over the limit. You've likely seen the technology employed before with slightly less morbid effects.

Municipalities routinely use mobile, radar-based speed boards to make drivers aware of just how fast they're traveling in low-speed zones. Typically, the onboard LED screen simply flashes an offending vehicle's speed in big red numerals. NYC is taking it one step further.

The transportation department already employs skeletons in its "That's why its 30" advertising campaign, which underscores just how much more lethal a vehicle traveling 40 mph can be over its slower counterpart. The new speed boards are intentionally attention-grabbing, though since traffic slugs along at an average of 9.3 mph in most parts of the city, we don't think anyone will have a hard time obeying the law.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/13/n...y-speed-limit/
Old 05-13-11, 06:30 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Only in New York.
Old 05-13-11, 06:34 PM
don
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's cute.
Old 05-13-11, 06:55 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

love it, lol
Old 05-13-11, 07:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Why waste time and tax-money installing something that your own speedometer already tells you?

(unless, of course, your speedometer is giving you a bad reading from oversize wheels/tires, which sometimes happens)
Old 05-13-11, 08:12 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

There are tons of trees and light poles all over NYC decorated with flowers & wreaths, taht serve as strong reminder. No need to spend extra money on this
Old 05-13-11, 08:59 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Why waste time and tax-money installing something that your own speedometer already tells you?

(unless, of course, your speedometer is giving you a bad reading from oversize wheels/tires, which sometimes happens)
probably cost nothing at all it takes is a few minutes on the computer to make a sequence like that
Old 05-14-11, 08:22 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I like it.. great attention getter and conversation starter to follow the law.
Old 05-14-11, 09:38 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
There are tons of trees and light poles all over NYC decorated with flowers & wreaths, taht serve as strong reminder. No need to spend extra money on this
Very sad indeed. It's hard to lose a loved one for any reason, but to be hit as a pedestrian is an awful feeling. One of my students became a victim of such an accident, and her family has held a vigil at the sidewalk every night since the tragic accident almost three weeks ago; when I spoke to the parents, they said they would continue with the vigils until what would have been her 18th birthday- coincidentally yesterday, Friday the 13th. It's such an unfortunate event that no one should ever have to be a part of. BTW, our crossing sections are lighted to indicate that a pedestrian is about to cross, but this driver just bolted right through.
Old 05-14-11, 09:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bad co
probably cost nothing at all it takes is a few minutes on the computer to make a sequence like that
Well, yes, if the basic hardware has already been installed. The article seemed unclear on that.

Still, it won't tell you anything that an accurate speedometer won't.
Old 05-14-11, 09:46 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cost-effective electronic mph reminders like this are used in school zones here, a form of heads-up warning display. (no skeletons)
Old 05-14-11, 09:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Agreed.....I'd rather have MPH-reminders in school zones and residential areas than speed-bumps and 3 and 4-way stop signs (which I hate with a passion).
Old 05-14-11, 10:46 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Agreed.....I'd rather have MPH-reminders in school zones and residential areas than speed-bumps and 3 and 4-way stop signs (which I hate with a passion).
Wait... Where don't they have 4 way stop signs? Lol

I've never seen anything else in the residential areas of CA! (well I have seen a few roundabous but that was in a specific nicer area of SF...)

I thought most "+" interactions were 4 way stop.