Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Consumer Reports: Kia Sedan Tops Honda Accord

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-11, 05:21 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
i think this is BS. I'm not saying the kia is bad, as i dunno anything about it.

but how could the accord be ranked after everyone else?

i thought the camry was cheap. The accord is supposed to have better interior and driving dynamics than the camry.
I loved the 2011 Camry I drove with the 4cyl and 6spd auto. It's a great drivetrain that is made in Japan. Much better then the older models. What year was the Camry you drove?
Old 05-16-11, 07:07 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i think that's really rather condescending. not everyone can afford a lexus.

not taking anything away from toyota's continued spectacular sales, but what hyundai/kia has done is amazing, and a lot more than 'renters' will get them.
Sorry Paul but the bandwagon is out of control now. Yes they are stylish but they are only marginally better and arguably better than the competition and simply copied the Honda/Toyota playbook. I'm not sure why people are fapping off constantly to French Vanilla Korean cars compared to the traditional vanilla Japanese or American cars.

I think we all get that they have come a long way and they sell better now. Great, now what exactly do they do best in exactly? MPG I guess?

Old 05-17-11, 08:26 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Who's bragging?
KIA finishing in front of Honda Accord is an PR piece by KIA.
Old 05-17-11, 09:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I think we all get that they have come a long way and they sell better now. Great, now what exactly do they do best in exactly? MPG I guess?
I'd say that the main thing that Hyundai and Kia do today is offer comparable or better quality and, in most cases, a longer warranty, at a lower price. That has been the main formula for their increasing success for the last decade or so. Ford, to an extent, is also traveling that route now, although their pricing and warranty can't quite compete with the Koreans.
Old 05-19-11, 09:51 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seriously... That list looked like our shopping list when we were looking for a new car for my mother. Minus the Altima because of my gf's long standing mechanical/electrical issues with hers. Top contenders were Sonata and camry. Optima was 3rd, Kazashi was alittle too small but seemed like a great deal. Ended up with Camry in the end.
Old 05-20-11, 06:28 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by T0ked
Seriously... That list looked like our shopping list when we were looking for a new car for my mother. Minus the Altima because of my gf's long standing mechanical/electrical issues with hers. Top contenders were Sonata and camry. Optima was 3rd, Kazashi was alittle too small but seemed like a great deal. Ended up with Camry in the end.
what made you pick camry over the others?
Old 05-20-11, 06:29 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'd say that the main thing that Hyundai and Kia do today is offer comparable or better quality and, in most cases, a longer warranty, at a lower price. That has been the main formula for their increasing success for the last decade or so. Ford, to an extent, is also traveling that route now, although their pricing and warranty can't quite compete with the Koreans.
we certainly do not know enough about KIA/Hyundai long term reliability.

Based on short term ratings, they are very much improved.
Old 05-20-11, 07:51 AM
Alucard
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why does the success of the Korean brands seem to get unders some people's skin here?

I always thought that the better the competition, the better it is for the market as a whole.
Old 05-20-11, 09:08 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Alucard
Why does the success of the Korean brands seem to get unders some people's skin here?

I always thought that the better the competition, the better it is for the market as a whole.
that is true... for the same reasons other people discard Toyota/Lexus success?

Fact is Hyundai/KIA poached best world talent from Europe and Japan in order to improve their vehicles.
Old 05-20-11, 09:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
we certainly do not know enough about KIA/Hyundai long term reliability.
Yes we do. They've been making better vehicles for a good ten years now. The days of the classic Hyundai and Kia junk are long-gone, though the Kia Sedona minivan, with a Consumer-Reports below-average reliability-rating, seems to be one of the few holdouts. Still, the few people who I have shopped with for Sedonas (one of who was a co-worker of mine before I retired), have been pleased with them, with only minimal problems.
Old 05-20-11, 10:48 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes we do. They've been making better vehicles for a good ten years now. The days of the classic Hyundai and Kia junk are long-gone, though the Kia Sedona minivan, with a Consumer-Reports below-average reliability-rating, seems to be one of the few holdouts. Still, the few people who I have shopped with for Sedonas (one of who was a co-worker of mine before I retired), have been pleased with them, with only minimal problems.
A little off topic, but I've actually been thinking about this recently due to the increased Kia Sedona tv commercials. I have no doubt that when a new Sedona debuts, Odyssey, Sienna, Quest and T&C are gonna have some stiff competition considering the direction the line-up has gone.
Old 05-20-11, 03:27 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 123 Posts

cant comment on the kia,but i had a 09 accord and it was the most boring car that i ever owned.had the lx-p and could not wait to sell it.it took me a year to sell it for what i would take for it.bought the lexus a week later.
Old 05-20-11, 09:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
cant comment on the kia,but i had a 09 accord and it was the most boring car that i ever owned.had the lx-p and could not wait to sell it.it took me a year to sell it for what i would take for it.bought the lexus a week later.
If you think an Accord is boring (and I agree it is no Ferrari), you probably haven't driven a Corolla or one of the older Toyota Tercels.