Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cadillac ATS to show how much GM learned from the BMW 3 Series

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-11, 11:46 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Cadillac ATS to show how much GM learned from the BMW 3 Series

Cadillac ATS to show how much GM learned from the BMW 3 Series

General Motors wants so badly for the upcoming Cadillac ATS to rock our worlds on all markets (i.e., not just in North America) that a source within the automaker has told us that the BMW 3 Series has been a prime focal point for benchmarking the Baby Caddy.

We always suspected this should happen, but then GM hasn't had much of a tradition of reacting quickly until recently. According to our source, teams at GM have basically stripped various 3 Series cars down to bare naked chassis bits and pieces, and fully intend on emulating an awful lot of what they see there, while, it can be assured, making it all correct for the Cadillac brand.

Sounds intensely good to us. Jeez, mega-millions for Bowling Green to hopefully try and finally keep Corvette interiors from smelling like toxic plastic in the hot summer sun, and now a smaller Cadillac that will actually drive and feel like the Standard of the World? Is it too good to be true?

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/16/c...-bmw-3-series/
Old 05-16-11, 03:15 PM
Hoovey689

I say put your money where your mouth is GM. 3 Series is a pinnacle in the segment. Bring it, competition is good for the consumer!!
Old 05-16-11, 03:57 PM
LexFather

We hear this everytime...the Skyline/G35, IS, C-class, A4, CTS etc etc all gun for the 3 series....and they all do a decent job but the 3 series is still arguably best in class and continues to sell strong with no hicccups.

The car is now what 7-8 years old and is still best selling in class. I wish Caddy would stick to making comfy boats quite frankly.....not sure if people want a small Caddy.

Old 05-16-11, 04:24 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

I hope it doesn't turn into a spiffed up Catera.
Old 05-16-11, 05:03 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Let's start by building a reliable luxury car, GM. Then drop that arts-and-science styling motif as it's getting tired. It was cutting edge in 2003 with the first CTS. It then went to every Caddy and after 8 years, it's time for something new.
Old 05-16-11, 05:19 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Let's start by building a reliable luxury car, GM. Then drop that arts-and-science styling motif as it's getting tired. It was cutting edge in 2003 with the first CTS. It then went to every Caddy and after 8 years, it's time for something new.
Agreed on all your points.

Cadillac reliability still is mediocre at best through entire range of products.

Artsy/fartsy science project styling was appropriate for blingtastic Escalades, it's looking quite dated especially on passenger cars.
Old 05-16-11, 07:12 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
We hear this everytime...the Skyline/G35, IS, C-class, A4, CTS etc etc all gun for the 3 series....and they all do a decent job but the 3 series is still arguably best in class and continues to sell strong with no hicccups.

The car is now what 7-8 years old and is still best selling in class. I wish Caddy would stick to making comfy boats quite frankly.....not sure if people want a small Caddy.
With the new 3 series around the corner, I'm curious if BMW makes a better one. For example, I really like the new 5 series interior/exterior BUT the car gained 400LBS!!! after it's redesign. Lost a lot of sport and went for luxury. I wonder if the 3 series will suffer the same fate..
Old 05-17-11, 09:51 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dsis250
Cadillac will get it done.. Look at the CTS, not even the CTS-V, just the CTS.. great car overall... and look at GM/Buick with the new small 4 door (forgot the name), nice little car... so GM has done it already with that buick (rebadged opel, I think)...
That's convincing, (if we were talking about Buick.)
Old 05-17-11, 11:12 AM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So this is what GM has come to now?

Keep trying to clone industry leading vehicles GM, and you'll continue to be a follower in every segment. Appears they're still trying to learn their lesson.
Old 05-17-11, 11:52 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

And don't forget how fellow Germans, Audi and MB, have also tried. Soon Jag will also be making another go at the 3.
Old 05-19-11, 09:38 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Leave the old school American boats to Buick. Cadillac needs to gun for the Germans and they've been doing a great job of it IMHO. I also love their styling... makes them look unique and stand apart from the rest of the crowd. Continue to evolve the design statement. Compared from the gen1 CTS to the current and looking at their DTS-replacement design, they have a homerun. Anything less would make them generic and blend into the background and that would surely mean cadillac's death.

Having the 3 series as a moving target is wonderful. Without it, we would have never had the joy of being able to choose from so many copycats. LOL. We all know Caddy won't hit the nark, but I hope they get pretty damn close and offer a deal (more gadgets and toys or a lower price) that gets them noticed as a serious contender.
Old 05-19-11, 09:40 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
With the new 3 series around the corner, I'm curious if BMW makes a better one. For example, I really like the new 5 series interior/exterior BUT the car gained 400LBS!!! after it's redesign. Lost a lot of sport and went for luxury. I wonder if the 3 series will suffer the same fate..
They most definitely may, but that's why they have the 1-series now.
Old 08-04-11, 05:41 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...r-testing.html
Old 08-04-11, 06:30 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Liking the lines thus far
Old 08-04-11, 06:40 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
That's very possible!! They bump up the 3 series and let the 1 series take its place, there might be a 1 series sport sedan soon!!

Last edited by grabber2; 08-04-11 at 06:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Cadillac ATS to show how much GM learned from the BMW 3 Series