Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Report: Aging Chevy Impala gets standard 302-hp V6 for 2012

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-11, 08:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
According to a friend who works with GM, there are complications with bringing Holden to America, however I can't recall what they are / could be.
The largest one is (probably) converting the right-hand-drive Australian versions to the left-hand-drive required for the American market. However, they did so for the Pontiac GTO and G8.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-17-11 at 09:17 AM.
Old 05-17-11, 09:14 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by spwolf
yep, and nobody cared :-).
Actually the G8 sold well here and I was very interested in the GXP model. Sad to see it go, such a handsome car, RWD, tons of space and kinda old school.

As you can see I am a fan. I tire of all these ugly *** cars on the road and damnit, this car needs to be brought here just for looks.

Old 05-17-11, 09:20 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
According to a friend who works with GM, there are complications with bringing Holden to America, however I can't recall what they are / could be.
Parts availability. Cars were in the shop for weeks, sometimes months, while waiting for parts under warranty. Very bad for GM. I can see the same thing happening with the new Regal.
Old 05-17-11, 09:34 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
302 HP V6? I can remember, just a few years ago, when the FWD Impala SS had 303 HP from a 5.3L V8....yes, and some torque steer.
Agreed, no big accomplishment but progress for a weak car maker.

Even a technically lagging division like Acura can hit (advertised at least) 300 hp with a V6 but because of dated technology they have higher displacement and lower MPG as a result.
Old 05-17-11, 09:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Agreed, no big accomplishment but progress for a weak car maker.

Even a technically lagging division like Acura can hit (advertised at least) 300 hp with a V6 but because of dated technology they have higher displacement and lower MPG as a result.
Acura and Nissan actually do some of the strongest N/A V6 powerplants in the buisness. Acura knows that they have to do V6s with some spunk because of their noted lack of V8s. What affects Acura MPG is not necessarily the engines as much as their transmission's 5 gears to much of the competition's 6.
Old 05-17-11, 09:59 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Acura and Nissan actually do some of the strongest N/A V6 powerplants in the buisness. Acura knows that they have to do V6s with some spunk because of their noted lack of V8s. What affects Acura MPG is not necessarily the engines as much as their transmission's 5 gears to much of the competition's 6.
It's not just transmissions. Both Nissan and Acura lag in instrumented tested performance and MPG for a variety of reasons including for Acura a lack of DI, DOHC (when compared to leading engines from BMW and Lexus) and that has already been discussed on CAR CHAT in depth. No need to drag this thread off topic.
Old 05-19-11, 09:44 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
yep, and nobody cared :-).
Nobody cared? It sold well for the few months it was actually on sale. that was a beast of a car. too bad Pontiac folded before it could get any bearing. Hopefully they bring this model back as some kind of Chevy. As for this current Impala... die already.
Old 05-19-11, 10:03 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by T0ked
Nobody cared? It sold well for the few months it was actually on sale. that was a beast of a car. too bad Pontiac folded before it could get any bearing. Hopefully they bring this model back as some kind of Chevy. As for this current Impala... die already.
That model would be the Caprice.
Old 05-19-11, 10:04 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Nissan has done some impressive stuff with their V6s. These 3.7 liter VQ motors are producing V8 power. They aren't as smooth as the Toyota V6 or the old inline V6s from BMW etc but they are torquey and can take massive beatings and tons of non forced induction tuning
Old 05-19-11, 10:45 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

old inline V6s from BMW...

priceless.
Old 05-31-11, 01:57 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Report: 2014 Chevrolet Impala to move upmarket, share platform with Cadillac XTS

Report: 2014 Chevrolet Impala to move upmarket, share platform with Cadillac XTS

The aging Chevrolet Impala is finally getting a major overhaul for the 2014 model year, and General Motors has just shoveled $69 million into its Detroit-Hamtramck plant to support production of the next-generation sedan. According to Automotive News, GM will work on repositioning the Impala within Chevrolet's lineup. Currently, the automaker feels that there is too much price overlap between the Impala and smaller Malibu.

Automotive News reports that the 2014 Impala will be built on the longer version of GM's Epsilon platform, destined for use under the new Cadillac XTS flagship. The new, larger Impala will offer more standard equipment than the smaller Malibu, and the two cars will be positioned similar to how the Taurus and Fusion are within Ford's lineup.

In an effort to keep the Impala fresh until its overhaul, GM has fitted the car with the 3.6-liter direct-injected V6 found elsewhere in the automaker's portfolio, mated to a six-speed automatic transmission. The first sales of the 2014 Impala are expected to begin in the first quarter of 2013.
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/31/2...orm-with-cadi/
Old 05-31-11, 02:37 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
old inline V6s
Whats an inline V6?
Old 05-31-11, 03:03 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Wow, now that we've discussed other mediocre Acura and Infiniti sixes (and inline V6's still to be invented), do we have any relevant information on the 302 V6 from GM? Sure looks like nobody cares (other than the fleet managers that will negotiate rock-bottom pricing).
Old 05-31-11, 03:18 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Wow, now that we've discussed other mediocre Acura and Infiniti sixes (and inline V6's still to be invented), do we have any relevant information on the 302 V6 from GM? Sure looks like nobody cares (other than the fleet managers that will negotiate rock-bottom pricing).
Hey! You stole my thought! I agree, they are the only ones who care on this car.
Old 05-31-11, 04:03 PM
LexFather

IS-SV the 3.6 got a bump to 318hp for the CTS and Camaro for next year.

You know whats crazy? GM sold over 1 MILLION Impala's a year in the 60s. Even today at 250k or so a year, its a huge seller.

I hope they get the design rate. Hate to hear it will be FWD though and XTS derived

Quick Reply: Report: Aging Chevy Impala gets standard 302-hp V6 for 2012