Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Went car shopping for the wife today...(long, kinda ranting)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-11, 07:53 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Went car shopping for the wife today...(long, kinda ranting)

and well, it did not go well. We really arent interested in a used car this time. Wifey wants new and I learned a long time ago that if she is happy, I am happy.

So the criteria was:

-No more than 72 months financing, at no more than 5% interest.
-Had to be new, or close enough it doesnt matter.
-Had to be a small-midsized SUV/Crossover.
-AWD a must
-prefer 30mpg freeway or as close to it as possible for long trips.
-needed to be well equipped, not nessecarily loaded.
-Wants a sunroof/moonroof, but not a dealbreaker.
-NOTHING resembling, looking like or even trying to be a station wagon (e.g. Subaru)

SO immediately the market segment flooded my mind, TONS of stuff for less than 25K that would fit our budget no problem. Well you would think at least...

First stop was Lexus, of course. Just for ****s and giggles, I really didnt expect to find anything new on the lexus lot to meet our financing criteria. Their used lot was slim pickin's as well, everything having more than 30k on it already, and even though they were CPO, wifey wanted less than 10k miles. So...NEXT!

Across the street to Tacoma Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep. They offered to buy back my truck for $25,000, and put me in a brand new Hemi model, which put the payment right into our budget range...but...we would still only have one vehicle. So that was a no-go much to my displeasure, however, I like my truck and am content. So we looked at the new durango's instead. A little bit too big for her liking, but she said she could deal. But my wallet could not. Equipped like we (She) wanted it, tag came out to $36,800. No smoke and mirrors, they were honest...$640 a month for 72 months? no thanks. They had some Jeep Patriot's, Compass's and other things there that were in our price range new, but nothing was really calling to me, or her. Too spaceship looking, to this, to that, wrong color. But they were honest with us from the start, which means Chrysler is indeed heading in ALL of the right directions. They will continue to receive my business from that particular dealership.

Toyota, Rav4's, love them, but just SLIGHTLY out of budget new. And she hated the colors, they had alot of white/black/tan ones, one green one and a grey one, and the grey and green ones were BASIC as they come.

So off we go to hyundai, slim pickins here...hyundai dealership was SOLD THE HELL OUT. I kid you not, they had not one car on the lot except for a new Genesis sedan. I asked them what happened, they said they had a huge sale and we just missed it. Burn. NEXT!

On to Honda. Wife loves the CRV, but for some reason the salesman is a pushy moron. Turned us right off, so we left.

Tried Ford, they didnt have ANY 4wd escapes new. They had one used one, an 08 with 30k, and it was LOADED. But they wanted 28k for it. Not paying that, at all, ever. She hates the Flex, and the new Explorer is still too spendy. Looked for an Edge...they didnt have one. Not one.

So Finally, with much hesitation on my part, we made our way to a KIA dealership (you know, Killed In Action )

They wanted to put her in a 2011 Sorento EX with the 2.4L and AWD. Cool, no navigation, but did have bluetooth and ipod connection. No sunroof, but had AWD, decent (not great) fuel economy) and that AWESOME warranty. They initially wanted 24k. Then we talked numbers. This is where it gets hilarious.

Somehow, someway they came up with $478/month, 31k OTD and 7% interest at NINETY-SIX MONTHS!!!!! I was FLOORED. On my (nearly) perfect credit score?! I am like a few points shy of perfect at all 3 agency's! Can they even do that? Thats a damned mortgage for cryin' out loud! Needless to say I walked away and that was that. So basically, they wanted to rape me for 8 years for a car that doesnt even have everything the customer (my wife) wants. It wasnt a total loss, I got to drive the new turbo Kia Optima...man what a dream. I did things in that car that should only be done in an Evo or Sti...

Anyway, moral of the story is:

Originally Posted by Kat Williams
Woman, Make up yo damned mind!
And watch your local dealership very carefully, ESPECIALLY a KIA dealership.
Old 05-17-11, 08:06 PM
bsl888
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go to dealership to test drive, then do all your research and negotiation online. Start with truecar.com. Don't bother with the salespersons at the dealers.
Old 05-17-11, 08:11 PM
LexFather

Good read. Maybe join a credit union if you don't already since you serve, get a low 3% or so interest rate and a check for 25 grand and then you can simply hassle over the final price of the car, present the check and then leave.

That is one thing with Hyundai/Kia dealers. They have been desperate for so long that they finally have some desirable product and some don't know any better. They are among the worst/sleaziest dealerships around.

Old 05-17-11, 08:12 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Outback wagon.
Old 05-17-11, 08:16 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

I agree with BSL

I usually just go to the dealer for a test drive and typically negotiate on line or on the phone.

Regarding that BS financing coal raking, just runs some numbers with terms that your choose for a target price (Say $25K) using an e finance shop.

If the Hyundai is the car for you (or what ever car), just build what you want on line and work the dealer over online for pricing and wait for the car to show up in a couple of months once you have come to terms.
Old 05-17-11, 08:33 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

How can any self-respecting dealer offer a customer 96 months with a straight face? Sad...
Old 05-17-11, 08:39 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by superchan7
How can any self-respecting dealer offer a customer 96 months with a straight face? Sad...
Yeah last time i saw something like that was in one of those Free car sales magazines at carwashes/bus stops..

All those crappy cars that say "Only $99 a month" then you read the fineprint and it says something like 96 months financing OAC @ 9%"

haha
Old 05-17-11, 09:42 PM
ALeX300
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
-NOTHING resembling, looking like or even trying to be a station wagon (e.g. Subaru)
Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Outback wagon.

LOL.

How about a Nissan Rogue? and did you try getting pre-approved from your bank? either that or credit union will give you the lowest % loans.
Old 05-17-11, 09:57 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Why didn't you look for cars online? It would've saved you time and gas.

Obviously you can't test drive it til you get there, but you would've been able to look around a lot easier.
Old 05-17-11, 10:23 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Credit unions now are doing new car loans for rates of 2.74% to 3.95%, and at some credit unions used car rates for 2007 up are exactly the same. Best to shop rates in advance.
Old 05-17-11, 10:30 PM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Just reading your thread I already feel exhausted. Not saying that it was long or anything, but I can definitely understand what you went through. Hate salesman that are too pushy or try to pull off what that KIA place did. Had several experiences like that and I just took off.

She might not like the looks of it, but have you look at the nissan Juke? They do offer awd that gets about 30mpg hwy.
Old 05-18-11, 05:01 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Look at the NEW Subaru Outback and Forester. Both are a lot less wagon-like than the previous models. Some Outbacks have a shimmy, so be sure you take a long test drive in the car you will actually buy. Also check out the Chevy Equinox / GMC Terrain. I know a couple Terrain owners who are quite happy except for some exterior trim issues. I would also keep trying with Hyundai and Kia (another dealer). Despite your wife's desire for a new car, I would also look at used RX 330s / 350s. As others have suggested, go though your credit union for financing.

When you went shopping, did you mention or wear anything that would indicate you are in the military? Unfortunately, the offer you got from the Kia dealer is exactly the kind of crap my son and other Marine NCOs would see being foisted on their guys. If they knew one of their Marines was shopping for a car, they would drive them to the dealership and provide the appropriate steely glare at the sales puke while they reviewed the whole deal.
Old 05-18-11, 05:52 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

I was actually in uniform, Nut luckily I dont need anyone to do that, I have bought enough cars to know when they are trying to put me in a pickle.
Old 05-18-11, 10:29 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

What about a venza?

Sister got one for $27,xxx otd. It was a 4cylinder, no nav, and no moonroof (a $1000option if you want).
Build one online and see if that works.

oops, never mind. I didn't see the awd part.
Old 05-18-11, 10:37 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
What about a venza?

Sister got one for $27,xxx otd. It was a 4cylinder, no nav, and no moonroof (a $1000option if you want).
Build one online and see if that works.

oops, never mind. I didn't see the awd part.
Note: AWD is an option, even with 4 cylinder engine.

Quick Reply: Went car shopping for the wife today...(long, kinda ranting)