Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda Mugen CR-Z

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-11, 07:57 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_2QQ...layer_embedded

Still hate it?
Old 06-13-11, 09:35 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

It's not that bad, but it could be better. If it had 250-300 horsepower, then it would be worth the money.
Old 07-06-11, 03:32 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Honda CR-Z MUGEN RR Concept
"Honda CR-Z MUGEN RR Concept"

Honda CR-Z MUGEN RR Concept adopting "RR" as its name which represents MUGEN racing sprit needs to be regarded as totally different CR-Z. MUGEN introduces this vehicle as a study model which the future design MUGEN envisions is reflected on.

As exclusive exterior parts, front aero bumper, front aero fender, side spoiler, rear aero bumper, rear wing, 18" wheels are developed. MUGEN never compromise their material and design. With help of those parts, the vehicle itself has a presence like super sports car without being possessed with stereotype HYBRID vehicle image. As for interior, orange is selected as a basic color and various carbon parts are installed and which could appeal to driver's sense.

This is the very model which MUGEN, having worked with Honda in racing filed and developed parts for Honda mass production models and furthermore knows every details of Honda, can create.

"MUGEN CR-Z Concept"

MUGEN CR-Z Concept is a performance concept model created through as a collaborative programme between Honda (UK) and MUGEN.

Adopting a super charger and thanks to the powertrain managed by an unique "MUGEN iCF System," 200ps/22.0kg-m is accomplished.

Making the most use of advantages of the super charger and IMA system, MUGEN enables the output characteristic to give flat power and torque curves throughout the rpm range to improve drivability on any streets and contribute to fuel efficiency well-balancefully.

Weight-saving is also challenged in order to improve handling and acceleration performance which increased output cannot accomplish. Furthermore, due to the adoption of carbon composites for the bonnet and doors and the removal of the rear seats, and adoption of full bucket seats, MUGEN has achieved a reduction of over 50kg compared to the OE package, which gives an improved power to weight ratio of 5.4 kg/ps, compared to 9.1 kg/ps (OE), and its time record is quite close to that of CIVIC TYPE R (FN2) at 0-100km/h acceleration test.

For the brake system being capable of power upgraded by 50% compared to that of OE, monoblock opposite 4 piston caliper is adopted, which enables a driver to drive at a corner comfortably in spite of 200ps power. Furthermore, MUGEN original 5 ADJ. suspension is adopted and exclusively tuned considering power, weight balance, and brake performance.

The MUGEN CR-Z can be seen in action twice-daily at the GOODWOOD FESTIVAL OF SPEED.

Old 07-06-11, 04:33 PM
USMCgs3
Driver

The cr-z looks sweet in person, but I like the crx's and cr-v's so I guess it's a natural evolution for me, man I feel like I entered the debate forum...
Old 07-06-11, 10:00 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Now they've made a Mugen RR version of this silly thing? Honda is losing it . What's next, a Mugen RR version of the Odyssey or Insight?
Old 07-07-11, 12:11 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Now they've made a Mugen RR version of this silly thing? Honda is losing it . What's next, a Mugen RR version of the Odyssey or Insight?
In the past, Mugen's done RR body kits mainly for Civics and the long dead NSX. They do, however, offer Mugen body kits for other Honda vehicles. The RR version, as you can see, is a bit more extreme than their standard version.
Old 07-07-11, 12:18 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

You missed my point a bit. RR are not just body kits, they are full performance ugprades to the car. They are one step above "Type R" for Hondas. My point was that it's silly that a Mugen RR version of the CR-Z even exists.
Old 07-08-11, 09:29 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Yeah, I know. I wrongly assumed you were ranting about the appearance.
Old 07-08-11, 09:45 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
You missed my point a bit. RR are not just body kits, they are full performance ugprades to the car. They are one step above "Type R" for Hondas. My point was that it's silly that a Mugen RR version of the CR-Z even exists.
why is it wrong to have a performance hybrid? while i may not be a fan of the CR-Z, i do appreciate what mugen is attempting to do - design a hybrid performance vehicle.

consider the GS450h. the first luxury hybrid sedan to come to market with 339 hp. based on its specs, it gets lousy fuel efficiency when compared to true hybrid misers like the prius. but it gets V8 passing power from a V6 powerplant.

and that is advance technology that is being followed by infiniti (infiniti M35 hybrid) to mercedes (MB S400 bluehybrid) to porsche (panamera S hybrid). heck, porsche even came up with a 918 spyder hybrid concept supercar. so hybrid performance is the potential future, and for mugen to step up to make a performance hybrid CR-Z should be applauded.

a mugen RR CR-Z is not your cup of tea, i get it. but to push the performance envelope, to create better performing hybrid vehicles...you need to think outside the box and see where that leads you. experiments of today can become the future technology implemented in the cars of tomorrow.

Last edited by Stormforge; 07-08-11 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-02-11, 10:43 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

A few more pics of the RR version

Old 08-02-11, 11:15 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks bad ***.......BUT

Does it come with the CVT Automatic?

Old 08-02-11, 01:56 PM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Looks bad ***.......BUT

Does it come with the CVT Automatic?

hahhahahhaaaa
Old 08-02-11, 09:13 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

That orange car looks damn good minus the ugly rear butt.
Old 08-03-11, 02:50 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexmenow
hahhahahhaaaa
No I was serious. When it comes to hybrid cars, I'd prefer to avoid stick.

Don't get me wrong, I know how to drive stick (my whole time at driving school was done in a manual car). It's just that by preference, I'd get the CVT automatic over the manual.

Plus, since my mom can't drive stick anymore, she can now use this car as well in case she needs to use it.

hehe just saying
Old 08-03-11, 05:52 AM
suislide
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Drop the S2000 2.4 liter in it. That is interesting.
That is very interesting since the S2K only came in 2.0L and 2.2L