Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Condensed Review: 2011 Chevrolet Volt

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-11, 09:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
But problem is that other PHEVs like 2012 Prius PHEV will be able to get 50 MPG in gas mode.
Well, we'll see, when the new Extended-Range Prius debuts and what the final EPA numbers are for it.

Just poorly done car based on poor decisions that were done not on engineering but on marketing.
I'll agree with the marketing/pricing part of it, but I also think that some poor design decisions were made, especially in the dash/interior...the white center-dash stack/tunnel, overley-complex videos, and hard-to-read buttons are ridiculous.
Old 05-20-11, 09:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kaydee
wow the gear lever looks really weird housed in that fashion. but, I still think that this is the best looking hybrids we have right now.
I'll respect your opinion on that...styling, of course, is subjective. But I don't find it a handsome car at all, except for the classic front grille-bar and gold Chevy bow-tie emblem.
Old 05-20-11, 09:57 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, we'll see, when the new Extended-Range Prius debuts and what the final EPA numbers are for it.

I'll agree with the marketing/pricing part of it, but I also think that some poor design decisions were made, especially in the dash/interior...the white center-dash stack/tunnel, overley-complex videos, and hard-to-read buttons are ridiculous.
Prius PHEV testers are getting same or better mpg than their Gen3 Prius.

Btw, to the emissions, this is what I meant:

Originally Posted by usbseawolf2000
Here is the emission comparison between PHV Prius and the Volt.

Carbon Monoxide:

Exhaust Emission:

Evaporative Emission:

Source 1 - Volt CARB emission
Source 2 - Prius PHV CARB emission
From Priuschat of course!
Old 05-20-11, 10:02 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Quote:
The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation has recently added the following vehicle models to the eligibility list:
2011 Nissan Leaf
2011 Toyota Prius

The New York State Department of Motor Vehicles will begin issuing stickers for the Toyota Prius on December 1, 2010. The NYSDMV will begin issuing stickers for the Nissan Leaf shortly after vehicle deliveries begin in mid-December.

Please note that the 2011 Honda Civic hybrid does not meet the fuel economy requirements of the program and therefore does not qualify. In addition, the 2011 Chevy Volt does not meet the emissions requirement and does not qualify.

Clean Pass is an innovative program that will allow eligible low-emission, energy-efficient vehicles to use the 40-mile Long Island Expressway High Occupancy Vehicle (LIE/HOV) lanes beginning March 1, 2006, regardless of the number of occupants in the vehicle. The program will result in an estimated reduction of 6,000 tons of greenhouse gas emissions and savings in excess of 500,000 gallons of gasoline.
Source
Volt does not qualify due to the emissions:
https://www.nysdot.gov/programs/clean-pass
Old 05-20-11, 10:45 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaydee
wow the gear lever looks really weird housed in that fashion. but, I still think that this is the best looking hybrids we have right now.
I respectively disagree. Fisker Karma FTW!!!

Old 05-20-11, 10:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Fisker Karma FTW!!!

You might have a point. Reminds me somewhat of the Porsche Panamera.
Old 05-21-11, 10:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Next planned reviews:

2011 Nissan Leaf

2012 Subaru Impreza

2012 Ford Escape

The new Escape and Impreza have not been yet released, and the Leaf may be difficult or impossible, as it is only being ordered on-line now. If I can't do a full-refiew of it on the road, I may do a static one. I'll attend the promotional Nissan Leaf driving-event if they have one locally.
Old 05-21-11, 10:33 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Overpriced? definitely. Overrated? Maybe, maybe not. This car can go a heck of a long way without any gas at all, even without a plug-in recharge. It will definitely stretch your gas dollar. Problem is, it costs so much that, for the price, you can buy a LOT of gas for a cheaper, more conventional compact.
I agree. Can't you buy almost 2 prius for the price of one loaded Volt with the added dealer mark up. Almost I think. I saw a guy with a black prius with a set of after market black wheels on it. It looked really cool and its still a green car. Not bad. I think I would rather that
Old 05-21-11, 11:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I agree. Can't you buy almost 2 prius for the price of one loaded Volt with the added dealer mark up. Almost I think. I saw a guy with a black prius with a set of after market black wheels on it. It looked really cool and its still a green car. Not bad. I think I would rather that
You can buy two, and, in some cases, three conventional compact-sized cars for what the average Volt costs. As far as the Prius goes, it depends on the version. Yes, you could maybe buy two Phase II or Phase III model Priuses, witout a lot of options, for the price of one Volt. I took all this into consideration when I came to the conclusion, in the review, that the Volt was not worth what it cost. Volt pricing may (?) come down some (hopefully) when the Volt gets at least a little competition from the upcoming Extended-Range/Plug-in Prius. We won't see that model, though, until spring of next year, and Toyota, not surprisingly (with the unstable yen-dollar relationship) has not announced pricing yet. But, right now, I would not expect it to run the 40K+ that the Volt does.

To be fair, though (and I'm a firm believer in giving both sides of the story), the Volt, for that 40K+ price, DOES give you one thing that no other hybrid in the American market can do right now...travel up to 40 miles on no gasoline at all, and not require plug-in recharging like the all-electric Nissan Leaf. That is not possible with any other American-market hybrid....even the current Prius.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-21-11 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-21-11, 07:18 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks.

It seems to me that the Volt is a technology showcase in its current form. Hopefully, within a generation this car will become the value the Toyota Prius is.
Old 05-21-11, 07:34 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Thanks.

It seems to me that the Volt is a technology showcase in its current form. Hopefully, within a generation this car will become the value the Toyota Prius is.
problem is that it doesnt have 5 years to do it, as competition will all do it better from day one.

There is no excluse for poor engineering that was decided by marketing and not engineers. I blame idiot Lutz who probably decided that it should be like Prius just because.

At the end, it turned out to be parallel hybrid anyway because it was only way to make the car work. And nobody cares? Why would they care?

I would much prefer to have Prius copy-cat that got 30% better MPG on gas. Whats the downside? Lutz's drinking buddies would tease him about copying Toyota?
Old 05-21-11, 08:41 PM
LexFather

I can imagine the 2nd gen gets better but for 44k just give me a base RX 450h or a loaded HS 250h or a loaded CT 200h.

Old 05-21-11, 09:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I can imagine the 2nd gen gets better but for 44k just give me a base RX 450h or a loaded HS 250h or a loaded CT 200h.
Agreed. One of the things I mentioned in the closing remarks of the review was that I thought the Volt's price-tag could be better-spent for a CT or HS.
Old 05-21-11, 09:15 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Agreed. One of the things I mentioned in the closing remarks of the review was that I thought the Volt's price-tag could be better-spent for a CT or HS.
Personally I'd go for the Lincoln MKZ Hybrid

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
2011 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid

Well, now it's official. For the 2011 model year, the Lincoln MKZ will offer the award-winning 2.5-liter Atkinson-cycle four-cylinder gasoline/electric powertrain from the Fusion and Milan hybrids, good for up to 41 miles per gallon in the city. In doing this, Lincoln aims to compete directly with the recently introduced Lexus HS250h, and since the MKZ will net six more MPGs than the HS, it can safely take the title of most fuel-efficient luxury sedan in America. What's more, the MKZ is slightly larger than the Lexus, and if Ford plays its cards right, we wouldn't be surprised if the MKZ Hybrid is less expensive than the HS, as well.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-as-v-6-a.html
Old 05-21-11, 09:17 PM
LexFather

^^ I'd just do the Fusion to be honest

Quick Reply: MM Condensed Review: 2011 Chevrolet Volt