Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Condensed Review: 2011 Chevrolet Volt

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-11, 06:38 AM
ggravant
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Habious
And, in most states, this is a coal-burning car (since that's the primary source of the electricity coming from the average home power outlet).

It may be extremely efficient at burning coal, but it's still essentially a coal-burning car.
But this is true for any EV, not just the Volt. As we mentioned in another thread - if the cost of electricity is too high, the only benefit of an EV would be less use of oil (and hopefully the imported kind ).
Old 05-23-11, 01:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rcf8000
The review fails to mention the important fact that in high-cost electricity states, like California, it costs more to run the Volt in pure electric mode than it costs to run it using the gasoline engine!
OK, but, that goes without saying. The cost of electricity is going to vary from place to place (here isn't much that owners can do about that), so naturally, the cost of recharging it will vary as well. Even in California, electric-rates vary from place to place.

And, as pure-electrics and plug-in hybrids becaome more popular and better-selling, look for places of buisness, motels/hotels, etc....to provide plug-in stations for the convienience of their customers.
Old 05-23-11, 01:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Good review.
Thanks.

What turns me off from this car is the styling. It tries to look futuristic, but falls short.
Agreed.

As mentioned, the center stack looks cheap. Which home computer, stereo, or micrwave has this same finish? Have crowds of people begged car manufacturers to design their interiors to look like appliances? I've never heard of it.
I agree that the white center-stack has the finish of a refrigerator, but it actually molded out of quite durable-feeling material.....it's hard to tell if it is metal or plastic. The problem is that the matching white-buttons, with the gray-lettering, make for a legibility nightmare.

The rear and, especially taillights, we saw 20 years ago on the Subaru SVX. Are simple rectangular shapes all they could think of? Then, the gimmicky beltline trim underneath the windows is unecessary and looks heavy. Don't care for the grille either. It looks like a plastic shield off a Revell car model kit. Cheap.
Maybe I'd have a better opinion if we hadn't seen this car for the last five/six years. It looked interesting the first few years, but no big deal now after all this time (ditto showing the new Camaro four years prematurely).
Good point on the SVX. I had forgtten about those taillights....there is somewhat of a similiarity. Fortunately, the Volt didn't copy the SXV's quirky, half-roll-down windows.

Old 05-23-11, 04:14 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Habious
And, in most states, this is a coal-burning car (since that's the primary source of the electricity coming from the average home power outlet).

It may be extremely efficient at burning coal, but it's still essentially a coal-burning car.
All the more reason for alternative forms of energy. However, which is worse? Burning coal on a large scale or millions of individual oil burning generators all over the place? Time will tell.
Old 05-24-11, 10:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
All the more reason for alternative forms of energy. However, which is worse? Burning coal on a large scale or millions of individual oil burning generators all over the place? Time will tell.
The ideal solution might be an alternative-fuel internal combustion engine in the hybrid, instead of a gas-engine, to recharge the batteries. There's no law that says that a hybrid-car has to use a gas or diesel engine for recharging. A number of alternate-fuels, such as ethanol, propane, natural-gas, etc.... can be used. The main problerm is, of course, the lack of a nationwide-refueling infrasturtcture for these fuels, although E85 is readily-available in the Midwest.
Old 05-24-11, 11:16 AM
ggravant
Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The ideal solution might be an alternative-fuel internal combustion engine in the hybrid, instead of a gas-engine, to recharge the batteries. There's no law that says that a hybrid-car has to use a gas or diesel engine for recharging. A number of alternate-fuels, such as ethanol, propane, natural-gas, etc.... can be used. The main problerm is, of course, the lack of a nationwide-refueling infrasturtcture for these fuels, although E85 is readily-available in the Midwest.
I agree. I always had this grand vision of giant solar panel farms generating electricity in sunny areas of the word and using that power to separate out the oxygen and hydrogen from water and use the hydrogen in fuel cells. Plenty of water available I would think ...
Old 05-24-11, 05:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ggravant
I agree. I always had this grand vision of giant solar panel farms generating electricity in sunny areas of the word and using that power to separate out the oxygen and hydrogen from water and use the hydrogen in fuel cells. Plenty of water available I would think ...

Hydro-electric power-plants from waterfalls and dammed-up rivers are generally more reliable than direct solar power.

Let's not get too far off-topic, though (including myself). We want to concentrate on the Chevy Volt itself here, and not necessarily on future energy-sources for power-plants.