Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Report: Lotus delays Elan until 2016, Esprit on track for 2013

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-11, 01:33 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Report: Lotus delays Elan until 2016, Esprit on track for 2013

Report: Lotus delays Elan until 2016, Esprit on track for 2013

Despite the barrage of concepts presented at the Paris Motor Show, Lotus still has lots of planning ahead as it maps out the future. Five concept vehicles were revealed in 2010:the Elan, Elise, Elite, Esprit and Eterne. We've got an update on two of them.

Car and Driver says that the Lotus Esprit should arrive by 2013. The Elan, however, has a murkier future. Forget 2013; it's been speculated that we might not see it until 2016. Blame the Lotus Evora.

Orignally, Lotus planned to shut down the Evora so that it could give way to the Elan. Now, Lotus management has decided that the Evora deserves a traditional model cycle. Should the Evora continue into a second generation, it puts the Elan's existence into question. If a second-generation Evora isn't developed, a next-generation car, then new Elan will arrive and fill in the open lineup spot.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/21/l...rack-for-2013/
Old 05-21-11, 02:51 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Always thought the two would clash... bummer though... the Elan seems to be leagues ahead. They could always build the Elan and call it a second generation Evora
Old 05-21-11, 03:27 PM
LexFather

Toyota please buy Lotus, infuse cash, merge engineering, create awesome Louts, Toyota, Lexus cars.

That is all

Old 05-21-11, 04:33 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 05-21-11, 06:23 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Toyota please buy Lotus, infuse cash, merge engineering, create awesome Louts, Toyota, Lexus cars.

That is all
Co-signed!!!!
Old 06-13-11, 04:26 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Lotus Esprit Delayed; Will Get In-House V8, Shocking Price Tag

The new Esprit will make it to market, but not as early as Lotus had hoped. Speaking at the launch of the new Evora S model in San Jose, Lotus Cars USA PR boss Kevin Smith confirmed that due to a decision by Lotus to produce its own engine for the car, it won’t make it to market until late 2013 or even early 2014.

“The cars shown at the Paris Auto Show with the Lexus IS-F V8 will get our own V8 engine,” said Smith. Those models include the Esprit, as well as the even more exotic Elite. Smith also confirmed that development of the in-house V8 engine was already underway, and indicated that other engines are a possibility.

Making additional remarks, Smith let slip details of just how much Lotus expects to charge for these new models, and it’s a huge increase from the $76,000 Evora S. Speaking generally, he said that, “cars in the $170,000 to $200,000 range should have their own engine in them.” No clarification was given about the projected price and while $170K is certainly a huge bump over the Porsche 911 Turbo, it would be significantly less than some of the Italian exotics the Esprit would be targeted at as well.

Details about the new V8 have not been released, but there’s a strong chance it will be available with a dual-clutch transmission. “We’d like to do a manual and a dual-clutch transmission for the Esprit and now that we’re dong our own engines there’s a better chance,” said Smith. Lotus has filed a patent for a 7-speed dual-clutch unit already, so look for that to arrive in the Esprit in just over two year’s time.
(Courtesy of Autoguide)
Old 06-14-11, 10:37 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

This scares me. Lotus never actually designed from the ground up any of their engines, and part of their attraction today is the fact that they have a rock solid reliable Toyota powerhouse IMO.

I wouldn't love them any less, but I sure as hell wouldn't own one until they'd have proven themselves well into a second or even 3rd generation. the brits aren't exactly known for their reliability.
Old 06-14-11, 02:21 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

durn those bloody unicorns
Old 06-15-11, 01:49 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MR_F1
This scares me. Lotus never actually designed from the ground up any of their engines, and part of their attraction today is the fact that they have a rock solid reliable Toyota powerhouse IMO.

I wouldn't love them any less, but I sure as hell wouldn't own one until they'd have proven themselves well into a second or even 3rd generation. the brits aren't exactly known for their reliability.
I agree. I think Lotus is making a big mistake here. For years I've wanted to buy a Lotus, mainly due to them using Toyota engines. I won't have any interest in these new models with in-house engines. The British are notorious for unreliable engines.
Old 06-15-11, 03:50 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1

Yeah they did. They did design that "childhood dream shatter" POS of an V8 engine you can find in recent Esprits. One thing worse than that engine was its transmission which was outsourced I believe.
Old 06-15-11, 05:41 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I agree. I think Lotus is making a big mistake here. For years I've wanted to buy a Lotus, mainly due to them using Toyota engines. I won't have any interest in these new models with in-house engines. The British are notorious for unreliable engines.
yes, but in Europe they are getting a lot of crap for using Toyota engines.

Main problem is that for instance with V6, they use same Toyota transmissions, which are made for soccermom sedans so they try to tweak the software and they suck even more.

Instead of designing new engines, they should just get AISIN to provide them different transmissions for those engines, but I would guess it costs too much money.

So I dont see how them designing their own engines and sourcing transmissions again would be better than getting IS-F with that 8AT with sportshift... because it isnt.
Old 06-15-11, 11:19 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

So brand the motors Lexus or Lotus/Cosworth. The Posers won't know the difference and the true enthusiast wouldn't care, because they should KNOW that Toyota makes amazing engines.
Old 06-16-11, 01:07 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Wait, exactly who is criticizing Lotus in Europe for using Toyota engines? Is it the European auto mags? Actual owners? Who?

I also agree with MR_F1. The solution is very simple, and Lotus could have badged the Toyota engines as Lotus, or Cosworth, or anything else to satisfy the badge snobs or those who are badge-conscious.

I am confident that by making their own engines, Lotus will have major reliability problems. I think the new management at Lotus doesn't know what they are getting themselves into.