Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Chrysler FTL....again!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-11, 05:37 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down Chrysler FTL....again!

So I happened upon a couple cars across from me in my parkade that caught my eye. Not because they were special, they're just rentals, but because I thought they looked very, very similar. When I first glanced at them, I actually thought they were just different model years of the same car.

The front ends are virtually identical for the new Chrysler 200 and the Hyundai Sonata. Which one of these came out first and who is copying who? Sorry for the crappy phone pics, but I was stunned at how similar they were.

I then saw/heard an ad today from Chrysler spouting something along the lines of "you don't have to be ashamed to drive American anymore". Yes you do if you drive a Chrysler. "Imported from Detroit"....not a snowballs chance in hell.

Playing the "buy American" card when your company still sucks is lame. Ford and a few select GM products are much better than any Chysler. Why our governments chose to bail out this embarassment of a company is something I will never understand.

After that, I saw this ad online and just had to shake my head.

As usual, Chrysler FTL.

Chrysler's race for survival

Posted on May 20th 2011 by Jeremy Cato

The Chrysler Group has a huge, huge problem now that pump prices are topping $1.40 a litre for premium grade gas in Toronto, according to the latest price survey from The Kent Group – and regular gasoline is averaging about $3.40 a gallon in the United States, according to the U.S. Department of energy.

"In 2010, truck utility vehicle and minivan sales comprised roughly 74 per cent of our total vehicle sales in the U.S.," compared with 52 per cent for the whole U.S. market, noted a Chrysler filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission on Feb. 25.

This dependency on fuel-swilling big rigs is one reason why Chrysler’s sales in the U.S. were down nine per cent through the end of April. True, Chrysler Canada’s sales were up 9.3 per cent through April, but that’s only because light truck sales in Canada are being heavily subsidized with massive subsidies.

Once the sales giveaways end in Canada, fuel prices will have an impact. We are traditionally a small car market.

The impact of fuel prices is already hitting home in the U.S. Gas prices are firmly in the minds of many Americans.

The evidence: a recent study by the Consumer Federation of America showed that 84 per cent of families with incomes of $25,000 to $75,000 are greatly concerned about gas prices (figures in U.S. collars).

"Low- and middle-income Americans are now spending more money each month on gasoline than on their car payments," said Stephen Brobeck, the federation's executive director, in a Detroit News report.

Aside from the low-volume Fiat 500, Chrysler Group won’t have a significant new compact sedan until the first quarter of 2012. It will be a replacement for the Dodge Caliber.

The as-yet unnamed Dodge sedan and other small cars will be based on a Fiat platform. Look for not just that aforementioned sedan, but also a compact Jeep SUV and a Chrysler sedan.

Even when all of these go on sale, Chrysler will still trail all its rivals on fuel economy. The company is, however, moving as fast as possible to fix this glaring problem.

Chrysler will offer a nine-speed automatic transmission designed for front-drive vehicles with the next-generation compact and mid-sized vehicles. The ZF transmission will improve fuel economy by 11 per cent over current six-speed automatics, says Chrysler.

In its SEC document, Chrysler said the transmission will be available in 2013. Then there is the eight-speed automatic Chrysler will begin offering later this year on rear-drive vehicles.

Chrysler partnered with Fiat two years ago for many reasons, not least of which was to help round out its smaller car portfolio. The new models can’t get here fast enough.

"Nothing has changed from the five-year plan," said Ralph Gilles, Chrysler’s design chief and the CEO of the Dodge brand, adding the coming Chryslers, engineered by Fiat, "are coming strong and heavy. There is no need to speed up," he added speaking to the Detroit News.

For Chrysler, the race to become just average in fuel efficiency looks very much like a race for survival.
http://autos.sympatico.ca/Jeremy-Cat...e-for-survival
Attached Thumbnails Chrysler FTL....again!-chrylser-200.jpg   Chrysler FTL....again!-hyundai-sonata.jpg  
Old 05-21-11, 05:55 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Well...I am not going to say anything other than...

Originally Posted by 1sicklex
Dodge the father, Ram the daughter...

Sorry, Mike, I had to .

Unfortunately, Lexus does not make a Full-Size or even a Compact Pickup, which my current situation dictates a need for. Unlike MOST people who drive a pickup, I actually NEED mine on a daily basis and use my 4wd at least once a week getting to training sites that would otherwise be inaccessible. I drove a 2010 Silverado, and it was OK, but it was simply that...just OK. It wasnt awesome, it wasnt special, it was plain-jane truckness. I drove the F150, and loved it, but could not afford it. Then the 09 Ram fell into my lap.

25k miles later, I could not be happier with my purchase. Not one single minute in a shop for a repair. The interior is Nicer than any truck in its class similarly equipped, save for the $50,000 Toyota Tundra...Right, cause I want to pay $50,000 for a truck when I am going to use it like a truck. Try finding a used tundra for the $21,000 I paid for my slightly used (but never registered) Ram. You wont, unless is 7-10 years old with close to/over 100k on the clock.

And it isnt just the ram, the 2011+Charger is nothing to shake a stick at either.

So to wrap this up, chrysler is quickly bringing up the rear of the American made automotive industry. If Ford and GM dont watch it, I would be willing to bet in 2-3 years, Chrysler Corporation could be well ahead of its competitors in Sales, Service, and Build Quality. Chrysler could very well be the next automotive "snake in the grass". Be careful, everyone...Snakes bite.
Old 05-21-11, 06:46 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Unfortunately, Lexus does not make a Full-Size or even a Compact Pickup, which my current situation dictates a need for. Unlike MOST people who drive a pickup, I actually NEED mine on a daily basis and use my 4wd at least once a week getting to training sites that would otherwise be inaccessible. I drove a 2010 Silverado, and it was OK, but it was simply that...just OK. It wasnt awesome, it wasnt special, it was plain-jane truckness. I drove the F150, and loved it, but could not afford it. Then the 09 Ram fell into my lap.

25k miles later, I could not be happier with my purchase. Not one single minute in a shop for a repair. The interior is Nicer than any truck in its class similarly equipped, save for the $50,000 Toyota Tundra...Right, cause I want to pay $50,000 for a truck when I am going to use it like a truck. Try finding a used tundra for the $21,000 I paid for my slightly used (but never registered) Ram. You wont, unless is 7-10 years old with close to/over 100k on the clock.

And it isnt just the ram, the 2011+Charger is nothing to shake a stick at either.

So to wrap this up, chrysler is quickly bringing up the rear of the American made automotive industry. If Ford and GM dont watch it, I would be willing to bet in 2-3 years, Chrysler Corporation could be well ahead of its competitors in Sales, Service, and Build Quality. Chrysler could very well be the next automotive "snake in the grass". Be careful, everyone...Snakes bite.
I'm glad your Dodge has held up for you. Another CL member recently posted about his wife's new Jeep Grand Cherokee and the many problems it has. Chrysler still seems like a mixed bag to me. (I did read that they wanted to pay back their government loans by the end of this month). Agreed that their products have improved much, including the 300/Charger twins, but their products still need the new 8 speed transmission that's in the works. Personally I don't think Chrysler nor GM will be ahead of Ford in the next few years. Alan Mulally has done one hell of a job. Most of the line-up has been revamped and brands trimmed. They have the time, money, R&D to focus on Ford and Lincoln now. The powertrains alone in the F-150 are simply amazing in terms of durability, power, fuel efficiency and payload. The Fiesta, Focus, refreshed Fusion (look for a 2013 redesign to change the game yet again), Taurus, and Mustang are all solid offerings. The Escape (new model on the way), Edge, Flex, and Explorer offer great capability. Look for a new Expedition come refresh of the F-150 with an ecoboost V6 or 6.2L V8. This isn't to say that in the short time Marchionne has been at the helm he's really turned the company around. I see good thing in both companies futures with the edge to Ford.

P.S. I got a chuckle out of this. Thinking about the next Viper aren't ya hah

Chrysler could very well be the next automotive "snake in the grass". Be careful, everyone...Snakes bite.
Old 05-21-11, 07:17 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

things do not change overnight for anyone.
Old 05-21-11, 08:35 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
The front ends are virtually identical for the new Chrysler 200 and the Hyundai Sonata. Which one of these came out first and who is copying who? Sorry for the crappy phone pics, but I was stunned at how similar they were.
I don't see how you can say they are "virtually identical" when the front end for the Sonata has a MUCH wider grille (reaching out above the fog lights, even), the headlights are much more narrow and more swept up from the very sharp start under the grille, and the hood sweeps forward in a flowing line as opposed to the Chrysler with the multiple angles for the hood.

While I agree with you that Chrysler still lags behind, I just don't see them as copying the Sonata. If anything, I think they're trying to look more Audi like. Maybe the A6 or an older A4?

Big Mack
Old 05-21-11, 08:39 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Well...I am not going to say anything other than...
Sorry Josh, wasn't meaning to be disrespectful of your choice. I'm glad you're happy with your purchase. Their trucks are the only thing that is respectable, imo. That doesn't excuse the rest of their line-up or their shortcomings.

I cannot disagree more strongly with this notion. Ford is huge steps in front of GM and they're so far out in front of Chryler that they almost can't see them. The Charger, while improved, is a joke when stacked up against the new Mustang 5.0/Boss/Shelby. They haven't shown any indication that they are somehow going to drastically close the gap. The longer this continues the more difficult it will be for them to survive in the long run.
Old 05-21-11, 08:45 PM
LexFather

I always was a fan of the Dodge Ram when it gained the new styling back in the mid 1990s or so. That said the Chrysler 200 isn't really competitive b/c its basically a facelift on the worst car in class. I would imagine the full cycle re-do is better, especially if it looks like the concept. Will Fiat invest heavily to truly save Chrysler remains to be seen.

This is sad

"Low- and middle-income Americans are now spending more money each month on gasoline than on their car payments," said Stephen Brobeck, the federation's executive director, in a Detroit News report.

Old 05-21-11, 09:46 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Sorry Josh, wasn't meaning to be disrespectful of your choice. I'm glad you're happy with your purchase. Their trucks are the only thing that is respectable, imo. That doesn't excuse the rest of their line-up or their shortcomings.

I cannot disagree more strongly with this notion. Ford is huge steps in front of GM and they're so far out in front of Chryler that they almost can't see them. The Charger, while improved, is a joke when stacked up against the new Mustang 5.0/Boss/Shelby. They haven't shown any indication that they are somehow going to drastically close the gap. The longer this continues the more difficult it will be for them to survive in the long run.

Oh man, you werent disrespectful. We just have different opinions, thats all. I just had to defend my investment...with due civility of course.

That said, the charger isnt supposed to compete with the new mustang, thats the challenger. The Charger R/T competes more with the likes of the taurus SHO. On that, have you actually driven a 2011 Charger? Coming from a lexus its probably a downgrade, but coming from any other american sedan, holy crap!
Old 05-22-11, 05:23 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

I'm not a fan of most Chryslers to be honest. The only good cars they make are the new Charger, Challenger, and the Ram trucks. The Jeeps are cool too, but the rest of their cars flat out suck.

I wish they still made the Viper.
Old 05-22-11, 07:06 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Said it before, say it again... I WANT to like Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler... but aside from the Ram, EACH product finishes well back (only second- Challenger over Camaro IMO) or worse across the board in terms of tech, mileage, reliability... the main criteria the buyers of this class of vehicle base their purchases on... and the "new" DJC is NOT making the strides that Ford has made, or even Barry Motors... scrambling to mediocrity is NOT moving a company forward... I LOVE the new Durango... except they CATCH FIRE... http://jalopnik.com/5790753/new-dodg...g-parade-float

FYI- Viper will be back in 2013/2014... already in the works...

Last edited by rdgdawg; 05-22-11 at 07:09 AM.
Old 05-22-11, 07:22 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
I LOVE the new Durango... except they CATCH FIRE... http://jalopnik.com/5790753/new-dodg...g-parade-float
Imported from Detroit.......quality you can count on....to fail
Old 05-22-11, 10:47 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Said it before, say it again... I WANT to like Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler... but aside from the Ram, EACH product finishes well back (only second- Challenger over Camaro IMO) or worse across the board in terms of tech, mileage, reliability... the main criteria the buyers of this class of vehicle base their purchases on... and the "new" DJC is NOT making the strides that Ford has made, or even Barry Motors... scrambling to mediocrity is NOT moving a company forward... I LOVE the new Durango... except they CATCH FIRE... http://jalopnik.com/5790753/new-dodg...g-parade-float

FYI- Viper will be back in 2013/2014... already in the works...
It's good to hear the Viper will be back soon. I thought it was supposed to be out sooner, but I haven't heard anything about it in a long time.

Hopefully they don't screw it up.
Old 05-22-11, 11:30 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

The recently released 200 has been Chrysler's biggest mistake. They teased us with the above 200 concept, but instead gave us a facelifted Sebring. The Sebring was one of the worst and most outdated cars on the market in the last ten years. Keeping it going and not replacing it with something all new (like the concept) is just nuts.
Old 07-20-11, 12:28 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The recently released 200 has been Chrysler's biggest mistake. They teased us with the above 200 concept, but instead gave us a facelifted Sebring. The Sebring was one of the worst and most outdated cars on the market in the last ten years. Keeping it going and not replacing it with something all new (like the concept) is just nuts.
Actually the 200 is substantially better vs. the Sebring, having had both, with enough power to put to shame many other cars. All of these cars being slow IMO. Is it a Honda or Toyota? Nope, but far better than it's predecessor for sure. Will it save this company, hardly.
Old 07-20-11, 03:58 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

I see absolutely no similarities between a 200 and a Sonata, whatsoever. Not even a little.

Quick Reply: Chrysler FTL....again!