Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2012 Hyundai Genesis priced from $34,200; new 5.0 R-Spec to start at $46,500

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-11, 08:19 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Like the guys have already stated, this is a fantastic deal. This car is pushing the luxury car makers.

The problem continues to be that Hyundai can't decide what they want or are going to be. The Genesis and Equus seem like solid, entry level luxury cars, but the rest of their line up is definitely aspirational at best. Until they figure out where they want to be they are going to struggle with a mixed perception from consumers. Most non-enthusiasts will still perceive Hyundai as the crapboxes they were 10 years ago, regardless of their slick marketing campaigns.
Yeah, and they recently stated no luxury brand is coming, so they are trying to make Hyundai as a whole something maybe seen as more prestigious than Honda/Toyota/Ford etc but clearly not a luxury brand though they offer a couple of luxury products.

I hope the R-spec helps sales, that is simply a lot of car for the money. Most Genesis sell at/under invoice and they still don't meet sales goals.

Old 05-26-11, 08:22 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the love of god, please put the 5.0L in the Genesis Coupe!
Old 05-26-11, 08:42 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yeah, and they recently stated no luxury brand is coming, so they are trying to make Hyundai as a whole something maybe seen as more prestigious than Honda/Toyota/Ford etc but clearly not a luxury brand though they offer a couple of luxury products.

I hope the R-spec helps sales, that is simply a lot of car for the money. Most Genesis sell at/under invoice and they still don't meet sales goals.
That's what I think everyone skips over. When Hyundai rolled out the Genesis it came with the statement that they wanted to redefine 'luxury'.

You take a bunch of consumers in Honda/Toyota/Ford who have never thought of themselves in the Tier 1 car buying market and give them something they can afford and call it 'luxury', you've effectively lowered the bar. Those buyers can't compare the Genesis or Equus to a Lexus/Benz/BMW because they've never owned one are are most likely to be satisfied with whatever you give them.

They then target us (Tier 1) with offering up some good engine choices that aren't being met by anyone in that price range. So then we can decide whether we can live with less quality but more power.

It's a very smart move on their part but the one market they lose out on is the category I fall into in having owned of their POS products in the past and have worked my way up to Lexus. They'll need a $75k LFA to get me to go back, lol

Last edited by oohpapi44; 05-26-11 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-26-11, 08:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
Have you driven the 3.8 Track model Coupe? Even without the 5.0, it is no slouch. And it comes extremely close to BMW-type-handling/steering-feel...one of the closest I've seen yet.
Old 05-26-11, 08:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Yeah, and they recently stated no luxury brand is coming,
I'm not convinced that was the right decision, but time will tell. It definitely hurt Mazda, though, when Ford axed the proposed upmarket Amati division....the Miller-cycle-engined Millenia just never caught on with a Mazda badge.
Old 05-26-11, 09:02 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
That's what I think everyone skips over. When Hyundai rolled out the Genesis it came with the statement that they wanted to redefine 'luxury'.

You take a bunch of consumers in Honda/Toyota/Ford who have never thought of themselves in the Tier 1 car buying market and give them something they can afford and call it 'luxury', you've effectively lowered the bar. Those buys can't compare the Genesis or Equus to a Lexus/Benz/BMW because they've never owned one are are most likely to be satisfied with whatever you give them.

They then target us with offering up some good engine choices that aren't being met by anyone in that price range. So then we can decide whether we can live with less quality but more power.

It's a very smart move on their part but the one market they lose out on is the category I fall into in having owned of the their POS products in the past and have worked my way up to Lexus. They'll need a $75k LFA to get me to go back, lol
Good post...was thinking the same thing.

They have an opportunity with their new products to really sway some buyers that want more out of their cars, but aren't willing to pony up Tier 1 dollars. If they are encroaching on true luxury cars, they should be able to eat the downmarket marques lunch easily. Many of us have questioned their strategies over the past couple of years, but as we see their evolution taking greater shape, it does look like their poised for some big, big successes going forward.
Old 05-26-11, 10:05 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JessePS
Haha good grief, the 3.8 V6 automatic with Brembo Brakes was like an adrenalin rush.

If they put the 5.0 liter engine, then the car might lift off the ground
Old 05-26-11, 10:09 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

An R-Spec Equus would actually be kinda cool...hmmm...
Old 05-26-11, 10:16 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
An R-Spec Equus would actually be kinda cool...hmmm...
Agreed.

Equus atm is mostly for rich executives and older people (and Korean senior citizens who are loaded).

The R-spec version would appeal more to their kids.
Old 05-26-11, 10:25 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Okay I'm going to say this though I have yet to drive it.

The price/package of the R-spec is one of the best deals ever made in the luxury realm. reminds me of the GS 400 price of 44k back in 1998. Wow, wow, wow! Really looking to see performance figures.
I agree. I kinda thought of the same thing.
"GS wow" without the GS
Old 05-26-11, 11:19 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Thats a lot of car for the money. I think its great that they have a sport version. I wish Lexus would produce a sport version of the GS
Old 05-26-11, 01:39 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

The 5.0 R will bring more game to the line-up.
Old 05-26-11, 05:35 PM
Fulorian
Driver School Candidate

I don't think it's that Hyundai said they won't be doing a luxury line - they just aren't right now. They did some research and decided the costs of launching a new luxury line would have been immense - several billion dollars, and that right now (ie, economic downturn) it made more sense to just sell the cars at a value price under their existing brand.

This creates a positive halo for a brand that badly needs its perception readjusted, and distancing themselves from it with a new brand isn't the objective right now. If you sell less Genesis'/Equus' in the first generation, but bring up immensely the public perception of the Sonata/Elantra with that brand halo, and sell more of those, you end up with more long term gains. It's good strategic thinking.

My guess is that in 2014-2015, when the Equus/Genesis/Genesis Coupe are getting long in the tooth, they will release the second generations all in one swoop under a new Genesis brand name and dealership network. By 2015 they will have completed most of the Hyundai brand name regeneration, and we should be enough out of the economic downturn that it would make sense to make those expenditures for a full luxury dealership experience.

There's rumors that a full-size Genesis-line SUV is underway too, so they may just wait until they can complete a full lineup of Acura/Lexus/Infiniti fighters before launching the new brand.

Plus, they're on the leading edge of engine technology, and I would bet you ANYTHING there's some magic going on behind closed doors to add forced induction to the 5.0 Tau and a two-door chassis for it to play with, to create the first Korean supercar. That would be one of the final steps in making their emergence complete.
Old 05-27-11, 12:01 AM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

I just recently bought a Genesis coupe (pretty much different altogether) but while i was at the dealership i did sit in the Gen 4dr as well as the Equus and i was quite impressed.

At least theres no immediate update for the coupe with a 5.0 or id smack myself silly right now...
Old 05-27-11, 06:40 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Thats a lot of car for the money. I think its great that they have a sport version. I wish Lexus would produce a sport version of the GS
Lets hope the GS-F will take care of that...

Quick Reply: 2012 Hyundai Genesis priced from $34,200; new 5.0 R-Spec to start at $46,500