Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2012 Hyundai Genesis priced from $34,200; new 5.0 R-Spec to start at $46,500

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-11, 01:57 AM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car is sweet, but too bad Hyundai made a GS-F before Lexus did!
Old 05-29-11, 12:32 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not buying into the hype. Hyundai's models over the last several years have been consistently overhyped. Their quality is only skin-deep. Long-term reliability is still a question mark. Hyundai is relying on a lot of flashy, gaudy styling and various gimmicks to desperately get attention from consumers.

Hyundai's new models all look great in paper specs, but disappoint in many ways in the real world.

Originally Posted by j three
The car is sweet, but too bad Hyundai made a GS-F before Lexus did!

Talk is cheap. Let's see the cold hard performance and test results from this Hyundai before jumping to conclusions. I'm sure the GS F, when it comes soon enough will smoke this thing.
Old 05-29-11, 01:48 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

429HP in the 5.0 R spec and everybody is all pacified with their lollipops.

Lexus hasn't even released details of the GS-F and everybody is already pissed that the GS-F doesn't have 500HP yet.

Props on Hyundai for choosing to expand. I wonder how many 5.0R's will even sell.

And why is anybody even complaining about chrome? There is chrome on literally every luxury/premium car. Rolls Royce anybody!?
Old 05-29-11, 05:55 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy

Talk is cheap. Let's see the cold hard performance and test results from this Hyundai before jumping to conclusions. I'm sure the GS F, when it comes soon enough will smoke this thing.
At over $20K more,it should.
Old 05-29-11, 06:05 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Talk is cheap. ...... I'm sure the GS F, when it comes soon enough will smoke this thing.
hypocritical eh?
talk is cheap, and then you talk about how the GSF (currently vaporware) will smoke this.
Old 05-29-11, 07:11 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^lol at your avatar

Cant wait to drive this RSpec. So far Im impressed with the Genesis, more then I thought I would be.
Old 05-29-11, 08:20 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,556 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
How did you gather that Lexus has "banished" chrome?
the GS rear has basically a huge landscape of plastic bumper/painted metal.
the front new grill has a big chunk of chrome at the bottom which is not attractive.
the door handles don't have chrome i don't believe?

i'm talking subtle, which is what mercedes and bmw in particular, do extremely well, and hyundai has picked up on it. lexus? not so much. the IS again is extremely plain as is the ES. they just don't look as luxurious to me from OUTSIDE.

They've been ragged for excessive chrome on their grills, side mirror turn signals, door handles and body accents (GS, LS, GX, LX)...
there's a right way and a wrong way to do it.
Old 05-29-11, 08:29 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the GS rear has basically a huge landscape of plastic bumper/painted metal.
the front new grill has a big chunk of chrome at the bottom which is not attractive.
the door handles don't have chrome i don't believe?

i'm talking subtle, which is what mercedes and bmw in particular, do extremely well, and hyundai has picked up on it. lexus? not so much. the IS again is extremely plain as is the ES. they just don't look as luxurious to me from OUTSIDE.

there's a right way and a wrong way to do it.
IS doesnt look as luxurious as 3 series?

thats a laugh.
Old 05-29-11, 08:29 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Hyundai's models over the last several years have been consistently overhyped.
what does that even mean? overhyped by whom?

they've launched new vehicles into the worst recession the country has known in decades and they're selling. not huge numbers, but NO ONE would have thought they could sell any genesis sedans 10 years ago.

Their quality is only skin-deep.
what do you base that on?

Long-term reliability is still a question mark.
so was lexus when it first came out! but the cars exuded "well put together ness" and were marketed as such with champagne glasses and marbles and the public were willing to give it a try and it all worked out.

hyundai marketing hasn't been as strong, but then they weren't hinging an entire new brand on the 3 vehicles (g sedan + coupe + equus), plus of course their dealers aren't as upscale as lexus, so it wouldn't make sense to go bananas on image marketing... just try to grow slow and make dealers better over time. it seems to be working.

Hyundai is relying on a lot of flashy, gaudy styling and various gimmicks to desperately get attention from consumers.
that's a ridiculous statement. as ridiculous as saying "lexus is relying on a lot of flashy hybrid gimmicks to desparately get attention from consumers who can't do math".

Hyundai's new models all look great in paper specs, but disappoint in many ways in the real world.
what do you base that on?

I'm sure the GS F, when it comes soon enough will smoke this thing.
defender of the flame, as always. and "when it comes out" is probably still so far off that few will care.
Old 05-29-11, 08:31 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
IS doesnt look as luxurious as 3 series?
thats a laugh.
not to me, not even close. and i bet if you did a poll in this country, it would hugely agree.
Old 05-29-11, 10:00 AM
LexFather

Guys, the R-spec is more an upper trim level, its not some AMG/F/RS/M car.....superb surely but its more F-sport than an F car. Its like an LS sport with a hp bump (large engine). Did they even change the brakes?

Old 05-29-11, 10:20 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

R-Spec looks nice. Hyundai has come a long way.
Old 05-29-11, 10:50 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Guys, the R-spec is more an upper trim level, its not some AMG/F/RS/M car.....superb surely but its more F-sport than an F car. Its like an LS sport with a hp bump (large engine). Did they even change the brakes?

RSpec Genesis Coupe gets Large Brembo Brakes so I would assume that the Sedan will also see a nice BBK set up. I did read that the 4.6 and the RSpec will have larger rotors but it doesnt confirm anything about the calipers.

Genesis 5.0 R-Spec promises to up the 4.6’s sportiness quotient by packing larger front and rear stabilizer bars and 13.6-inch front brake rotors, larger than those on any model last year. It also gets unique 19-inch wheels.
Old 05-29-11, 05:01 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Just confirmed the R-Spec will get the Brembo BBK just as the Coupe R-Spec and Track model coupe gets. It will also be AWD.

These should be hitting dealer lots in the next 30 days if not sooner. Look forward to a review on here.
Old 05-29-11, 05:51 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
Just confirmed the R-Spec will get the Brembo BBK just as the Coupe R-Spec and Track model coupe gets. It will also be AWD.

These should be hitting dealer lots in the next 30 days if not sooner. Look forward to a review on here.
huh? didnt hyundai say that they wont do AWD Genesis?

Quick Reply: 2012 Hyundai Genesis priced from $34,200; new 5.0 R-Spec to start at $46,500