Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2012 Hyundai Genesis priced from $34,200; new 5.0 R-Spec to start at $46,500

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-11, 09:32 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Props to hyndai, when the 2012 will be in the dealerships i will defiantly give em a try.
Old 05-30-11, 04:34 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joeb427
At over $20K more,it should.
I'm guessing the GS-F, if we ever see it, will be at least 30k-35k more than the R Spec Genesis. A fully loaded GS460 is 61k. An IS-F is 62k. Yep, GS-F will easily run up into the mid to high 70's
Old 05-30-11, 04:51 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
I'm guessing the GS-F, if we ever see it, will be at least 30k-35k more than the R Spec Genesis. A fully loaded GS460 is 61k. An IS-F is 62k. Yep, GS-F will easily run up into the mid to high 70's
True!
The R Spec seems to be a bargain.

When the Genesis came out,I knocked it.
Now two years later I have a lot of interest in the car.I believe there are many like me that now have real interest in the Genesis line.
Old 05-30-11, 08:02 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
True!
The R Spec seems to be a bargain.

When the Genesis came out,I knocked it.
Now two years later I have a lot of interest in the car.I believe there are many like me that now have real interest in the Genesis line.
if only interior was different....
Old 05-30-11, 08:40 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
if only interior was different....
The center dash NAV area to me.
Old 05-30-11, 12:48 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ I wouldnt say it beats Lexus hands down but its a very STRONG contender. More then most on here will admit. I drove one for close to a month and suprised myself with how nice the car is. There were things I liked better from my GS and there were things I liked better from my GS.

At the end of the day its a very nice car for the $$$. I cant wait to drive the R-Spec to see what it will deliver.

Hyundai has a great opportunity to take market share if they keep improving as they have been.
Old 05-30-11, 03:32 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
not to me, not even close. and i bet if you did a poll in this country, it would hugely agree.
You do realize BMW replaces whatever chrome they've taken away with black plastic right? The 3 series has so much black plastic trim, it isn't even close to luxurious.
Old 05-30-11, 07:08 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by G Star
You do realize BMW replaces whatever chrome they've taken away with black plastic right? The 3 series has so much black plastic trim, it isn't even close to luxurious.
imho, i am sure that when it came out, everyone agreed it was good car with frumpy looks and hyundai back lights :-)
Old 05-30-11, 08:12 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

For those who think Hyundai doesn't have that "face", you are correct. One of my employees bought a new one this year, and his co-workers give him a hard time for buying a $40,000 Hyundai. He's been generous enough to let me drive it... seems like a solid car, but haven't been able to fully test one.
Old 05-30-11, 11:40 PM
Fulorian
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who is the idiot - someone who buys a $50,000+ value car for $40,000, or the people who rag on them because they spent $40,000 on a car worth over $50,000 because it didn't have the right brand logo?

There's two types of people in this world - status *****s, and smart people. The status *****s put 50% of their paycheck towards leasing a BMW/Mercedes/Lexus, and the smart ones find good deals like the Genesis and don't overextend themselves.

But the lemmings will keep being lemmings, I suppose.
Old 05-31-11, 05:01 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
imho, i am sure that when it came out, everyone agreed it was good car with frumpy looks and hyundai back lights :-)
The back taillights with the reverse light half were ugly but the '12 has nice taillights.
Old 05-31-11, 05:58 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Fulorian
Who is the idiot - someone who buys a $50,000+ value car for $40,000, or the people who rag on them because they spent $40,000 on a car worth over $50,000 because it didn't have the right brand logo?

There's two types of people in this world - status *****s, and smart people. The status *****s put 50% of their paycheck towards leasing a BMW/Mercedes/Lexus, and the smart ones find good deals like the Genesis and don't overextend themselves.

But the lemmings will keep being lemmings, I suppose.
Wut? No one is claiming anyone is an idiot and in this thread most people are giving the car/brand kudos. . People are entitled to spend their money how they want and if they desire a highly respected luxury brand instead of one that was a laughing stock just ten years ago well that is understandable. The avg BMW/Benz/Lexus buyer makes well over 6 figures so not sure why you think they are "over-extending" themselves. Most people feel the Genesis is a great car and most feel while it is cheaper it is still not BETTER. They have to produce a BETTER car for less and that hasn't happened.

Sorry but that is a very short sighted and inaccurate summary of the luxury realm. There are many examples of cars with luxury badges (Infinit Q45, Acura RL, Lincoln LS, etc etc) that were pretty good that did NOT sell. By saying people don't buy a Genesis b/c they are lemmings and badge *****s is extremely disrespectful and inaccurate without also acknowledging shortcomings of Hyundai and the Genesis.

Old 05-31-11, 06:50 AM
Fulorian
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's not what I'm saying. I oversimplified, by going totally black and white. Plenty of smart people buy BMW/Benz/Lexus/etc. My point was that those people are almost certainly not the ones flinging monkey poop at the person who bought the $40k Hyundai, simply because it was a Hyundai.

The ones who are so insecure as to overlook the car for nothing but the badge tend to be the sorts who lease a stripped-out C-class/3-series because they get a borrowed sense of superiority from having that badge. Not because they analzyed the car on its own merits. Those who can legitimately afford a MB/BMW/Lexus generally have enough going for them in life that they don't attach their self-worth to the logo on their front bumper. Those are the lemmings - the ones who judge a car solely on its badge. Plenty of people pass on a car like the Genesis on its merits (and its lack thereof relative to more expensive vehicles, in many instances), and that's perfectly fine. But they aren't the ones taunting their co-workers for making the different choice.
Old 05-31-11, 07:07 AM
LexFather

That's not what I'm saying. I oversimplified, by going totally black and white. Plenty of smart people buy BMW/Benz/Lexus/etc. My point was that those people are almost certainly not the ones flinging monkey poop at the person who bought the $40k Hyundai, simply because it was a Hyundai.

The ones who are so insecure as to overlook the car for nothing but the badge tend to be the sorts who lease a stripped-out C-class/3-series because they get a borrowed sense of superiority from having that badge. Not because they analzyed the car on its own merits. Those who can legitimately afford a MB/BMW/Lexus generally have enough going for them in life that they don't attach their self-worth to the logo on their front bumper. Those are the lemmings - the ones who judge a car solely on its badge. Plenty of people pass on a car like the Genesis on its merits (and its lack thereof relative to more expensive vehicles, in many instances), and that's perfectly fine. But they aren't the ones taunting their co-workers for making the different choice.
As opposed to people buying a Hyundai throwing monkey poop to people that own a luxury brand trying to show how they are brilliant? As opposed to people buying a non-luxury car acting even more pretentious or even more like a douche-bag? Yes, just because you didn't buy a luxury badge doesn't make you smarter. That was their choice. Of course there are some people that buy things based on badge, it has always been that way.

Hyundai knew the RISKS when they decided not to invest the money into building a separate luxury marque. They were well aware that most people would not buy the car b/c it lacked prestige etc. That was the choice THEY made. You cannot get mad at people for not buying what Hyundai did not offer, a true luxury start-up. Mind you even having a luxury start-up or brand does not equate to success as we have seen Acura, Infinit, Saab, Volvo, Lincoln all struggle for years. They have some of the "Badge" and people still ignore them.

Some people avoid buying a Lexus b/c it lacks badge power. That is their prerogative. I don't get why people bash people for badges when its not just cars. Some people prefer a name brand hotel to stay in instead of a motel 6. Some people insist on a certain home builder instead of a lesser known one. Some people prefer to buy from a trusted jewelry store than a dealer. etc etc.

Companies know how important it is to build a trusted and respected brand, that is what Hyundai is trying to do since their name still doesn't resonate with a lot of customers. They are working hard to become a brand name where people will buy the product based on trust and reputation and not gimmicks and price.

Again the Genesis is a product that has flaws as well. The ride isn't as luxurious. You still have to go to an unluxurious Hyundai dealer for maintenance etc. Resale value hasn't been great, MPG isn't class leading. It looks like a blend of BMW/Lexus/Benz/Infinit. It lacks some tech and features the competition has. Build quality long term is untested. So lets not act like the Genesis reinvented the luxury sedan and people are avoiding it. It simply is another good effort at a cheaper price.

Getting to the R-spec, as I stated in my first post here that is a smoking deal for the price and I do hope people give it a fair shake and don't ignore it.

Old 05-31-11, 07:48 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

it is interesting thought though:
a. We all look for acceptance in society. Some a bit more, some less.
b. It would be interesting to see what is resale value of this against lets say 335i that is the same price.

I bet 335i will get higher resale value, so at the end who was smarter? :-)

Quick Reply: 2012 Hyundai Genesis priced from $34,200; new 5.0 R-Spec to start at $46,500