Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2012 Hyundai Genesis priced from $34,200; new 5.0 R-Spec to start at $46,500

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-11, 08:14 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fulorian
Who is the idiot - someone who buys a $50,000+ value car for $40,000, or the people who rag on them because they spent $40,000 on a car worth over $50,000 because it didn't have the right brand logo?

There's two types of people in this world - status *****s, and smart people. The status *****s put 50% of their paycheck towards leasing a BMW/Mercedes/Lexus, and the smart ones find good deals like the Genesis and don't overextend themselves.

But the lemmings will keep being lemmings, I suppose.
Blanket statements such as this one are uncalled for and inaccurate. Generalizing why someone might buy a MB/BMW and Lexus is laughable.

That's not what I'm saying. I oversimplified, by going totally black and white. Plenty of smart people buy BMW/Benz/Lexus/etc. My point was that those people are almost certainly not the ones flinging monkey poop at the person who bought the $40k Hyundai, simply because it was a Hyundai.

The ones who are so insecure as to overlook the car for nothing but the badge tend to be the sorts who lease a stripped-out C-class/3-series because they get a borrowed sense of superiority from having that badge. Not because they analzyed the car on its own merits. Those who can legitimately afford a MB/BMW/Lexus generally have enough going for them in life that they don't attach their self-worth to the logo on their front bumper. Those are the lemmings - the ones who judge a car solely on its badge. Plenty of people pass on a car like the Genesis on its merits (and its lack thereof relative to more expensive vehicles, in many instances), and that's perfectly fine. But they aren't the ones taunting their co-workers for making the different choice.
Nice attempt at backtracking.

Not sure why you're getting so reved up about this car. This "poop slinging" and "taunting" hasn't been going on here. Like Mike said, most people here have been open to looking at the new Hyundais and acknowledge the improvements. As good as they are, they still have a ways to go. Maybe they'll get there, maybe they won't, but to suggest that people that buy MB/BMW and Lexus are badge wh**es or idiots is simply ridiculous.

Some of us buy them because they're better vehicles that suit our needs best. If you want to discuss "bang for the buck" you likely have a legitimate argument. Is my ML worth $30K more than the Santa Fe I helped my best friend choose? Maybe not, but I'm still content with our decision and didn't buy it to impress anyone....other than my wife. She wanted it, we bought it. 'Nuff said.
Old 05-31-11, 09:14 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,556 Posts

The ones who are so insecure as to overlook the car for nothing but the badge tend to be the sorts who lease a stripped-out C-class/3-series because they get a borrowed sense of superiority from having that badge. Not because they analzyed the car on its own merits. Those who can legitimately afford a MB/BMW/Lexus generally have enough going for them in life that they don't attach their self-worth to the logo on their front bumper. Those are the lemmings - the ones who judge a car solely on its badge. Plenty of people pass on a car like the Genesis on its merits (and its lack thereof relative to more expensive vehicles, in many instances), and that's perfectly fine. But they aren't the ones taunting their co-workers for making the different choice.
holy false dichotomy batman. TONS of people who can "legitimately afford" a bmw buy one precisely because they like the image of the brand. nothing wrong with that really. that does not make them lemmings. i'd bet 90% of porsche owners for example have little clue about the car and just drive it on highway and city traffic, never using even 10% of the car's capability. but do they like the badge and image? hell yes. NO ONE, buying ANY car, is objective about it. we all rationalize one way or another.

and conversely people who claim to not to be badge oriented and all objective-like and go buy a hyundai genesis likely look condescendingly on the 'stupid' people who paid too much for bmws and lexus, right?
Old 05-31-11, 09:57 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Who is the idiot - someone who buys a $50,000+ value car for $40,000, or the people who rag on them because they spent $40,000 on a car worth over $50,000 because it didn't have the right brand logo?

There's two types of people in this world - status *****s, and smart people. The status *****s put 50% of their paycheck towards leasing a BMW/Mercedes/Lexus, and the smart ones find good deals like the Genesis and don't overextend themselves.

But the lemmings will keep being lemmings, I suppose.
A badge is more than just something for the snobs to get excited over. While prestige and the "it says I'm successful" factor is a big part of it, a badge also represents either history, heritage or more importantly, a promise. A BMW badge promises unparalleled performance, a Mercedes badge promises exceptional luxury and a Lexus badge promises high quality. People trust these brands on these promises because these badges have earned that trust through decades of consistency.

The Hyundai badge doesn't really promise anything, and it's such a liability that Hyundai would rather not put it on the front end of cars they sell for luxury car money.
Old 05-31-11, 05:56 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Just the fact that we (and I'm sure other similar forums) are talking about this car that much is a win for Hyundai. Dollar for dollar, the GS-F (if it ever makes it to production) can't touch the R-spec Genesis. Would it beat it? I'm sure it would, but for $20-40K more, it better. As far as reliability goes, I haven't really heard of these new models of Hyundai's being stranded on the side of the road and they've been out for a few years now. Who am I to talk about them having **** poor quality when I drive a 2IS and it's been in for 3 or 4 recalls and more TSIB's than I can count??
Old 05-31-11, 07:14 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

I feel like everytime a hyndai topic comes up, there is always a lot of disagreement and bashing of each other. One thing everyone needs to keep in mind is that everyone has an opinion, there is no need to argue about it or tell people what to do. My opinion towards this car is that it sounds very good, will it actually be as good as it sounds when it will be available in the dealers? Thats the general question that time can only tell. Lets not jump ahead of our selfs.
Old 05-31-11, 07:25 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
I feel like everytime a hyndai topic comes up, there is always a lot of disagreement and bashing of each other. One thing everyone needs to keep in mind is that everyone has an opinion, there is no need to argue about it or tell people what to do. My opinion towards this car is that it sounds very good, will it actually be as good as it sounds when it will be available in the dealers? Thats the general question that time can only tell. Lets not jump ahead of our selfs.

best post in here
Old 06-06-11, 02:08 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
hypocritical eh?
talk is cheap, and then you talk about how the GSF (currently vaporware) will smoke this.
Ironically hypocritical reply you have there. The Genesis R-Spec itself has YET to prove ANYTHING. Where are the performance numbers? Where are the track numbers?

Yes, talk is cheap, and hype is cheap. The 4.6L Genesis can't even keep up with a GS460 with ****. I don't expect this 5.0L Genesis R-spec to be that much faster than a GS460 with ****.

So yes, I am very confident that when the GS F does come, it will easily smoke this Genesis, not just in performance, but in almost everything else.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
what does that even mean? overhyped by whom?
By whom? By much of the automotive media, by Hyundai's own doing with their obnoxious marketing, and by many shills and "ghost bloggers" working for Hyundai who posted on automotive forums. Perfect example, the other day I saw a new Kia Optima commercial that featured Peter Schreyer, and the commercial called him "the best designer in the world". Excellent example of Hyundai's arrogant attitude.

what do you base that on?
Quality surveys, the significant problems Hyundai and Kia vehicles have been recalled for or are being investigated for. Also talking with numerous mechanics who work on tons of cars everyday, and know their stuff about which brands are quality and reliable and which are not.

so was lexus when it first came out! but the cars exuded "well put together ness" and were marketed as such with champagne glasses and marbles and the public were willing to give it a try and it all worked out.

hyundai marketing hasn't been as strong, but then they weren't hinging an entire new brand on the 3 vehicles (g sedan + coupe + equus), plus of course their dealers aren't as upscale as lexus, so it wouldn't make sense to go bananas on image marketing... just try to grow slow and make dealers better over time. it seems to be working.
Before Lexus even came out, Toyota already had a strong quality reputation with a number of products like the Cressida.

that's a ridiculous statement. as ridiculous as saying "lexus is relying on a lot of flashy hybrid gimmicks to desparately get attention from consumers who can't do math".
Hyundai/Kia has ads proclaiming Peter Schreyer "the best designer in the world", ads with breakdancing hamsters driving around in cardboard appliances compared to a "cool" Kia Soul, which itself looks like a boxy appliance. They also are utilizing styling elements that other automakers years ago were heavily criticized for, such as the super-stretched front headlights. You can agree to disagree, but I stand by my statement.

what do you base that on?
The cramped back seats in the Sonata and Elantra for tall people for example. The not-so-great real world fuel economy of the Sonata, compared to EPA mileage figures. Just a few examples of things you can't notice just from paper specs or from first glance.

defender of the flame, as always. and "when it comes out" is probably still so far off that few will care.
Not sure exactly what you mean here, or what you are implying here .

Originally Posted by ecr527
Just the fact that we (and I'm sure other similar forums) are talking about this car that much is a win for Hyundai. Dollar for dollar, the GS-F (if it ever makes it to production) can't touch the R-spec Genesis. Would it beat it? I'm sure it would, but for $20-40K more, it better. As far as reliability goes, I haven't really heard of these new models of Hyundai's being stranded on the side of the road and they've been out for a few years now. Who am I to talk about them having **** poor quality when I drive a 2IS and it's been in for 3 or 4 recalls and more TSIB's than I can count??
Really? Can you say this with certainty? Not just talking about performance, but everything overall. Quality, reliability, refinement, user experience, ergonomics, features, options, resale value etc. I bet "dollar for dollar" a GS F WOULD match a Genesis R-Spec.

For the most part, you get what you pay for.
Old 06-06-11, 02:09 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Default Hyundai Genesis R-Spec Delayed due to NVH problems

http://wardsautoworld.com/ar/auto_hy...genesis_rspec/

HYUNDAI MOTOR AMERICA SAYS THE '12 Genesis R-Spec equipped with the auto maker's new 5.0L Tau V-8 is being delayed due to engine noise, vibration and harshness issues.

Michael O'Brien, vice president-corporate and product planning, says the premium car was to launch in March but now is scheduled to hit dealerships in the May-June timeframe.

ADVERTISEMENT

The NVH issue was discovered during routine internal testing prior to serial production of the vehicle, but after a handful of cars already had been delivered to customers in California.

“We have a small issue, nothing big, but it requires a bit of a correction,” O'Brien tells Ward's at the New York auto show. “So what we had to do was stop production to get this issue taken care of.”

O'Brien declines to pinpoint the exact problem but says all will be revealed once engineers complete a fix that is under way.

Such problems are not uncommon when developing a new engine, and sometimes they are not drastic enough to warrant a stop in production, he says.

“Every manufacturer tells you they want the best product,” he says. “Yet, at the same time, there are literally thousands of tradeoffs every research and development and planning person makes every day.

“If you are the best of everything, you'd have a $300,000 car,” O'Brien adds. “So at some point, you have to say there's a standard that's set, and you have to meet that standard.”

O'Brien says he is unaware of any complaints from the few owners who took delivery of the vehicles equipped with the engine.

Consumers who did purchase the car will be contacted by Hyundai and their vehicles will be fixed.

O'Brien is not sure if dealers have been informed of the situation, but there are plans to do so.

Other Hyundai vehicles with the 5.0L, including the Equus sedan, are not affected by the NVH issue because their production launch is later than the Genesis R-Spec.
Old 06-06-11, 06:23 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

In my opinion, the GS-F, (currently a fantasy) and the Genesis R (currently being produced) will never be competitors, nor are they ever meant to be, by either manufacturer.
Old 06-06-11, 06:39 AM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Very nice! I definitely approve.
Old 06-06-11, 06:41 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
In my opinion, the GS-F, (currently a fantasy) and the Genesis R (currently being produced) will never be competitors, nor are they ever meant to be, by either manufacturer.
Ding,ding ,ding...we have a winner!
Old 06-06-11, 09:23 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,556 Posts

this month old post on ward's site is obviously very old news as it says: "the premium car was to launch in March but now is scheduled to hit dealerships in the May-June timeframe.", i.e., about now.
Old 06-06-11, 09:26 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

this month old post on ward's site is obviously very old news as it says: "the premium car was to launch in March but now is scheduled to hit dealerships in the May-June timeframe.", i.e., about now.
i think he was pointing out how Genesis had serious issue that stopped sales.

p.s. I dont know why is everyone focusing on "GS-F". GS sells 5 times less than E class and 5 series. Genesis is not taking any GS sales, it is taking German sedan sales by being 40k cheaper.
Old 06-06-11, 10:24 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
i think he was pointing out how Genesis had serious issue that stopped sales.

p.s. I dont know why is everyone focusing on "GS-F". GS sells 5 times less than E class and 5 series. Genesis is not taking any GS sales, it is taking German sedan sales by being 40k cheaper.
It's not taking German sedan sales. The C class and 3 series both sell very well as do the 5 series and E class. Given its price point, size, power and features the Genesis has been selling poorly. For similar or more money people have opted for smaller less powerful cars like the A4, CTS, C-class and 3 series.
Old 06-06-11, 10:27 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I posted up that Ward's Auto article simply to show that the Genesis had an engine NVH issue. For such a highly praised car, that we haven't even seen thoroughly tested yet, an engine NVH issue is not promising, especially as a few cars had been delivered already.

The Genesis is selling poorly I agree, given it's value, price, features, etc. Also keep in mind Genesis sales of the sedan and coupe remain combined. Hyundai refuses to separate sales.

Genesis is not taking sales from the Germans, or from the GS. It seems to have taken some sales away from other near-luxury brands, and possibly the Infiniti M.

Originally Posted by IS350jet
I agree as well. Certain members here though did make such a comparison, a comparison which is pointless IMO.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 06-06-11 at 10:30 AM.

Quick Reply: 2012 Hyundai Genesis priced from $34,200; new 5.0 R-Spec to start at $46,500