Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Exclusive: BMW developing customizable LCD gauges for refreshed 5 and 7 Series models

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-11, 05:44 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Exclusive: BMW developing customizable LCD gauges for refreshed 5 and 7 Series models

Exclusive: BMW developing customizable LCD gauges for refreshed 5 and 7 Series models

The Mercedes-Benz S-Class has had one for a few years, and Jaguar-Land Rover recently fitted units to its all-new XJ and updated Range Rover. Now BMW is getting ready to offer its own fully configurable LCD gauge cluster on the next-generation 5 Series and 7 Series models.

Co-developed in Munich and BMW's Technology Office in Mountain View, CA, the new gauge cluster will display the standard dials for speed, revs, fuel and temp, but can be configured to show additional navigation, telematics and infotainment data depending on the driving mode. Comfort and Sport settings will tailor the display to suit conditions, possibly placing the tachometer front-and-center in Sport mode, along with providing shift lights and other more driver-centric information.

A BMW engineer we spoke with made it clear that BMW doesn't want to rely on digital representations of analog gauges. Instead, the automaker is looking at the display as a blank canvas with which it can display a variety of information in an innovative way. However, while consumer customization will be available, BMW believes that keeping the user-tweakability to a minimum is key for ease-of-use and general readability.

Expect the new dash to appear on the refreshed 5 and 7 Series within the next two years.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/25/b...d-5-and-7-ser/
Old 05-25-11, 06:07 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

The first Lexus to really get this type of technology was the 4th generation LS 460 (the center part, then the LS 600hL starting 2010). Then now we have the LFA and its full TFT display and the mechanical ring that houses the tach. I'm for this type of technology, but they need to figure out how to allow the LCD to last longer than the whole car. Like any LCD display, it has a shelf life and it eventually will fail after its useful life.

LS 460:

LS 600hL:

LFA

Old 05-25-11, 06:22 PM
LexFather

Yup, but of course Lexus copies and doesn't lead and the German's always lead lol.

I think its pretty cool and I hope more cars offer it. Can only imagine what can be done with some brilliant hacker

Old 05-25-11, 06:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by AutoUnion
To be fair, Mercedes had the LCD guages back in 06-07 when the current S-Class came out
i was about to ask if mb started out with the s class first

but to look forward, i think this is great stuff
Old 05-25-11, 06:48 PM
LexFather

I would like to see a link for me to read about it. It wasn't until I recently researched Night Vision did we discover Lexus/Toyota was actually first with it whereas most believed it started with the Germans.

What I do know is Lexus was first with the eletroluminicent/Optiron gauges everyone uses now.

LCD seems to be the future.

Old 05-25-11, 07:50 PM
Oleg400
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I would like to see a link for me to read about it. It wasn't until I recently researched Night Vision did we discover Lexus/Toyota was actually first with it whereas most believed it started with the Germans.

What I do know is Lexus was first with the eletroluminicent/Optiron gauges everyone uses now.

LCD seems to be the future.
Was that what the GS had since 97?
Old 05-25-11, 08:32 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i was about to ask if mb started out with the s class first

but to look forward, i think this is great stuff
Come to think about it, I think it was S class that started this in the first place.
Old 05-25-11, 10:56 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Bad idea. Over time, the mind and eye gets used to looking for the tach and speedo at the same spot. Switching it back and forth means you'll be staring at a tach when you meant to look for the speedo and vice versa. This takes the eyes off the road for an extra period of time, even if only for a fraction. I say keep the main gauges in the same spot, but make the minor stuff interchangable. There's enough distraction going on already with everything else.
Old 05-25-11, 10:59 PM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

S class has it first, I have been playing with it way back in 2006. 07 s550.
Old 05-25-11, 11:02 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't like these displays. I drove a S550, and i just don't feel comfortable looking at those gauges. It feels like look at the 10$ Casio watch. I want proper speedo meters.
Old 05-25-11, 11:12 PM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

acutally my old R33 GTR does have a LCD display like this one.
Attached Thumbnails Exclusive: BMW developing customizable LCD gauges for refreshed 5 and 7 Series models-r33-nismo-cluster.jpg  
Old 05-26-11, 07:00 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by splitfire
S class has it first, I have been playing with it way back in 2006. 07 s550.
japanese had it before ze germans... there was hybrid Toyota Crown back in early 2000's that had full LCD screen.
Old 05-26-11, 07:46 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

the S class (W221) had it as one of the first.......but only as a speedometer. Hopefully (I think), with the upcoming model, it will be the whole dash.

Then one of the of the first to have it as a whole display was the hybrid version of the Toyota Crown JDM

Hopefully, I'm hoping that Audi will follow suit with this one

P.S.
Originally Posted by flipside909
Like any LCD display, it has a shelf life and it eventually will fail after its useful life.
AFAIK, most LCD and plasma displays have backlight lifespan of 120,000 hours.

So even if you keep your car on 24 hours/7 days a week:

120000/24 = 5000 days

That's way more than 10 years life span if you never turn the display off........and even if it reaches that stage, it will only reach its half-life or reduced brightness and not the complete end of the display lifespan

Hope that helps
Old 05-26-11, 11:05 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Am I the only one who thinks this makes the dash look like a cheap video game > Lexus has done a tasteful job but I hope they dont go crazy with it. I still remember the face of the gauges in my GS and how they looked like the face of my Raymond Weil watch. You cant get that with a digital read out
Old 05-26-11, 01:29 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

^^ no I agree. My favorite are the analog gauges with the eletroluminicent/Optiron. I think their gorgeous.

to add to that, my only fault with the new Jaguar XJ is the silly and super cheap looking LCD display befitting a car of this class and caliber.

XJ:

XJ: "Gear selection mode"

I like the classiness of the XF:

Last edited by Hoovey689; 05-26-11 at 01:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Exclusive: BMW developing customizable LCD gauges for refreshed 5 and 7 Series models