Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti collaborating with Lotus on SLK/Z4-fighter

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-11, 11:22 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Infiniti collaborating with Lotus on SLK/Z4-fighter

Infiniti planning to launch a rival for Bmw’s Z4 at the 2012 Geneva Motor Show

Hoping to enhance its reputation in the UK, Infiniti plans to introduce a new sports car at the 2012 Geneva Motor Show that will compete with the likes of the Audi TT and BMW Z4. The luxury brand is collaborating with Lotus so that it can get enthusiast appeal. An AutoExpress report states that this two-seater will be slotted under the next-generation G-Series Coupé.

It will probably get a classic front-engined, rear-drive layout. Lotus, the sports car maker based in Norfolk, will help tune the chassis. This new sports car’s appearance is aggressive. In addition, Infiniti is developing two eco-friendly models.

The first one will arrive in 2013. It is a premium four-seater based on the electric Nissan Leaf. The second is due in 2015. It is a hybrid built to compete with the Lexus CT 200h and Audi A3. This September, Infiniti will introduce hybrid power to the M35h that’s included in its executive saloon range.
Sad to see Infiniti jumping the gun when Lexus could/should have done the same considering Toyota's partnership with Lotus. That said, kudos to them for continuing to invest in emotional, fun and sporty products
Old 05-26-11, 11:31 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Great news. They are going to make the Infiniti cars even more fun to drive
Old 05-26-11, 12:04 PM
LexFather

Yeah I have no idea why Toyota doesn't partner with Lotus more, they use a Toyota engine in their vehicles....really odd. Though the LFA, IS F, upcoming FT show they still can make some fantastic sporting cars by themselves.

Well we have heard of 370Z based 2 seater Infiniti for years now so this isn't all new news. Why would Nissan need Lotus though? I mean Nissan knows how to make sports/sporty cars? Why would they need Lotus to tune it? Again Infiniit can't state its the Japanese brand when a lot of it isn't Japanese. Then to make things more confusing Infiniti is slapping stickers on Red Bull F1 cars but Lotus is a competing F1 brand. Its just confusing. In 5 years INfiniti will be a bunch of cars with French, German, English, Japanese parts inside, which is fine but might was well rename the company mulatto.

Old 05-26-11, 12:32 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking forward to it. We wanted them to make more cars and they're making more cars.
Old 05-26-11, 12:33 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

That it's planned to be slotted below the G coupe does not bode well.

I also don't get the Lotus-Infiniti partnership. I don't see anything positive coming from it compared to, say, Lotus just undertaking the project on its own.
Old 05-26-11, 12:37 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Lotus isn't building the car, they're only tuning the suspension... as they've done for numerous other makers. Let's not blow things out of proportion.
Old 05-26-11, 12:58 PM
R1R
Driver

Originally Posted by gengar
That it's planned to be slotted below the G coupe does not bode well.

I also don't get the Lotus-Infiniti partnership. I don't see anything positive coming from it compared to, say, Lotus just undertaking the project on its own.
Lotus does lots of engineering and tuning work for other companies, this is very well known and nothing new.

This is actually really good news for Infiniti. No more stupid SUV's, thank goodness. From the sound of things, after the JX, everything is going to be cars. I am just wondering what platform and engine they are going to be using.

This should do well, because IMO the new Z4 has gotten ridiculously complicated and overpriced. It has also gotten poor handling reviews from what I understand.
Old 05-26-11, 01:08 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lexus needs a roadster too...
Old 05-26-11, 01:22 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Agreed Lotus should be tuning some Lexus cars too
Old 05-26-11, 04:23 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
In 5 years INfiniti will be a bunch of cars with French, German, English, Japanese parts inside, which is fine but might was well rename the company mulatto.
Actually, that's completely normal for virtually every car brand out there, especially in this day and age.

Many of the components in a modern car are all supplied to the manufacturer by external suppliers. For example, BMW used GM automatic transmissions in the past. Now, they source certain transmissions or transmission components from ZF, which is a German company, though. However, Mercedes uses Delphi injection ports for their diesel engines. Delphi is an American company. Toyota uses Osram products for their headlights. Osram is a German company. The example of Lotus using Toyota engines is also evidence of this trend.

Car manufacturers seek out suppliers that offer them the best products. And for that to happen one also has to look past ones own borders on the international market.

In the case of Infiniti seeking out Lotus, they're doing just that. I agree that it's a bit unusual for Nissan to do this considering they've engineered the excellent 370Z and GT-R.
Old 05-26-11, 04:34 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

I would love to see a Lotus-tuned FT-86
Old 05-29-11, 10:12 AM
LexFather

So I'm watching the re-run of TG where Clarkson throws he back driving the GT-R...and he mentions

"Lotus secretly worked on the spine of the suspension" or something like that?

I googled but can't find anything on this? Can anyone elaborate?

Edit (found something)
http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/lofive...hp/t23558.html

<Aerodynamics and Cooling Performance>

Working 2 years with Group Lotus in Europe to develop more efficiently, and 1.5 years with Yo****aka Suzuka in Japan for aerodynamic development using moving belt systems, the vehicle has successfully balanced low air-resistance (Cd:0.27) and greater downforce - something formerly believed to be impossible - to realize aerodynamic performance on a par with racing cars. Higher front and rear downforce gives the Nissan GT-R better grip, improves active safety performance, reduces air resistance (Cd:0.27) and raises fuel-efficiency.