Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

WSJ looks at who the auto bailouts really left behind. Disturbing...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-11, 12:54 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default WSJ looks at who the auto bailouts really left behind. Disturbing...

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/27/w...y-left-behind/

According to The Wall Street Journal, Chrysler's post-bailout restructuring allowed it to effectively erase any responsibility for car accident victims. Two years after the $12.5-billion auto industry bailouts, families like the one Vicki Denton left behind are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

The WSJ reports that Ms. Denton was killed in a head-on collision in which the airbag in her 1998 Dodge Caravan failed to deploy. A court ordered Chrysler to pay Denton's son and surviving relatives $2.2 million in damages, but that was just before the bailout hit. Since Chrysler is no longer under any obligation to the family because the bailout measures absolved Chrysler from its liabilities, the Dentons will almost certainly never see their money and have no legal recourse to get it.

The Chrysler case isn't unique. The same rings true at General Motors, where a $50-billion bailout and restructuring left asbestos victims, laid off dealers and accident victims without any way to secure their damages. Beyond the unfairness of the deal, some experts suggest paying accident victims wouldn't have been out of the question.

Those who coordinated the bailouts maintain that in situations like the ones at GM and Chrysler, full recompense simply isn't possible for everyone. As far as the courts are concerned, there is standing legal precedent to allow for such omissions during a bankruptcy restructuring.
Old 05-27-11, 01:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The WSJ reports that Ms. Denton was killed in a head-on collision in which the airbag in her 1998 Dodge Caravan failed to deploy.
When did this accident take place? By Federal law, airbag-assemblies only have to operate for ten years from the date manfacture....it's now some 13 years.
Old 05-27-11, 01:48 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

it was supposed to pay out so I am assuming that the judge was aware of the rules. I personally was not aware that they only had to work for 10 years. Thanks for the info. As always you have a wealth of knowledge
Old 05-27-11, 02:52 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
As far as the courts are concerned, there is standing legal precedent to allow for such omissions during a bankruptcy restructuring.
Apparently I missed the news that GM and Chrysler went into bankruptcy. I thought that the bailouts were doled out to prevent bankruptcy???

Guess they decide what it was based on what serves their own interests best.
Old 05-27-11, 04:13 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think even before the bailout, or during the process of the bailout, the federal government relieved them of any obligations. It was widely publicized that GM's and Chryslers bond holders got the shaft, but I guess they aren't the only ones. Its a disgusting situation any way you look at it, and this is why I'll never even consider buying any vehicle from these two companies.
Old 05-27-11, 04:28 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw this is WSJ today, did not come as a surprise to me.
Old 05-27-11, 06:34 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I thought the bailouts were to prevent bankruptcy as well, how can the government have the power to relieve corporations of their financial obligations (especially ones ruled in court).

America is becoming more and more like a Fascist state.
Old 05-27-11, 06:38 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,003 Likes on 2,524 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
America is becoming more and more like a Fascist state.
The problem is, no politician or political party wants to be attached to an event like GM going out of business for good. The short term pain would be significant to say the least, and guess who would get blamed, the government. I personally strongly disagreed with the GM bailout, they should have been left to die a natural death. I would not be the least bit surprised to see Government Motors back in dire straights sometime in the future, GM has not changed one bit IMO, same arrogance and stupidity.