Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Help an excited 19 year old buy their car!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-11, 07:58 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
If maintenance is a concern for you, I don't think either car would be wise. The MR2 is a sports car and has likely been driven as such. The SC, while generally reliable, can be costly to fix if things break. It's a luxury car.
I concur. Servicing a Lexus is not cheap by any means and you could easily find yourself spending more than you intended to.

I am a big advocate for Subaru as a starter car. Their safety rating is unmatched, they are efficient, and they are incredibly reliable. Subaru has both practical and sporty models and if you want a stick shift they are plentiful.

I have 130k miles on my Legacy GT, which is now 13 years old. I have no rust and my repairs include: a new starter (which I installed myself) and a new speedometer. Of course I did routine maintenance such as the clutch, valve covers, and timing belts. But it has required so few repairs that I feel that I should take a few cross country trips to get the most out of it before I buy a new car.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-30-11, 09:11 AM
Matador
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought about an MR2 when I was 19 as well. The lack of any kind of practicality and the inability to find a clean well maintained turbo version took it out of the running pretty fast. Check out MR2OC, but plan to travel for a clean car. I ended up getting an SC3 at 19. Was fast enough for what it was, but since then Ive gone thru motor swaps, stock twins, now single turbo on the SC300. You'll always want more, but maybe after my next upgrade Ill leave it alone.
Old 05-30-11, 09:13 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
First choice: get a motorcycle instead.

Second choice: I'd go for the MR2...
The guy is in Colorado... he will need a car either way if their winters are as bad as our winters (and I bet they are even worse in Colorado).

OP, why not just get a turboe'd SC300 from the classifieds? Shipping a car is not that expensive and there are always killer deals here.
Old 05-30-11, 09:41 AM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I concur. Servicing a Lexus is not cheap by any means and you could easily find yourself spending more than you intended to.

I am a big advocate for Subaru as a starter car. Their safety rating is unmatched, they are efficient, and they are incredibly reliable. Subaru has both practical and sporty models and if you want a stick shift they are plentiful.

I have 130k miles on my Legacy GT, which is now 13 years old. I have no rust and my repairs include: a new starter (which I installed myself) and a new speedometer. Of course I did routine maintenance such as the clutch, valve covers, and timing belts. But it has required so few repairs that I feel that I should take a few cross country trips to get the most out of it before I buy a new car.

Hope that helps.
Thanks! I actually looked into Legacys, but decided that I wanted to stay Toyota with whatever first car I bought.

Originally Posted by Matador
I thought about an MR2 when I was 19 as well. The lack of any kind of practicality and the inability to find a clean well maintained turbo version took it out of the running pretty fast. Check out MR2OC, but plan to travel for a clean car. I ended up getting an SC3 at 19. Was fast enough for what it was, but since then Ive gone thru motor swaps, stock twins, now single turbo on the SC300. You'll always want more, but maybe after my next upgrade Ill leave it alone.
I realize I'll most likely have to travel to find the one I want. That's not really an issue. I have family in southern California, so it's not that big of a deal if I have to go out there.

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
The guy is in Colorado... he will need a car either way if their winters are as bad as our winters (and I bet they are even worse in Colorado).

OP, why not just get a turboe'd SC300 from the classifieds? Shipping a car is not that expensive and there are always killer deals here.
Even if I COULD ride a motorcycle (I can't, I have cerebral palsy and I don't have the balance or the coordination to ride one), the winters in Colorado would require me to get another vehicle anyway, so there's no point.

I might think about that. Lurking around here and seeing some of these guy's build projects has made me realize how many awesome car guys there are on here that actually care about what they build. I could trust buying an SC from here.

However, I really, REALLY like the 1UZ-FE as I said before, so if I bought an SC, it'd probably be a 400. There's nothing wrong with the 2JZ-GE/GTE though. If I found a good deal on a turbo'd, reasonably unmolested one on here, I'd think about taking it. I just have a fear that buying a turbo swapped car over the internet could turn into a bigger headache than I want it to be.

There's something about the MR2 that really catches my eye though. Like I said, practicality isn't an issue with me. I don't haul people around besides my girlfriend (although, she's a pretty big car person too, so she'd just drive her Z31 haha), and I don't need much trunk space really.
Old 05-30-11, 09:42 AM
Matador
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Turbo SC is gonna be a bit out of his budget. I just noticed his location too... I wonder what a turbo mr2 would be like in the snow
Old 05-30-11, 09:57 AM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Matador
Turbo SC is gonna be a bit out of his budget. I just noticed his location too... I wonder what a turbo mr2 would be like in the snow
Nothing I couldn't handle.

I learned to drive on snow and have been in some pretty crap vehicles in bad situations. For blizzards, I do have my Jeep.
Old 05-30-11, 10:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Some Toyota dealers will do service and repairs on Lexus products, for significantly cheaper prices than Lxus shops, as long as no warranty-work is required. I had some things done for my old Lexus IS300 at a Toyota shop where I knew the Service Manager well.

I'm a big advocate for Subaru as a starter car. Their safety rating is unmatched, they are efficient, and they are incredibly reliable. Subaru has both practical and sporty models and if you want a stick shift they are plentiful.

Hope that helps.

True.....and if you drive a substantial number of miles in bad weather, you'll be glad to have a Subaru.

Before you buy an MR2, though, check out a used Mazda Miata. They are quite reliable, generally not driven as hard or ragged-out as MR2's, are in far greater supply on the used-car market, and generally have lower insurance premiums (though you usually pay high premiums for 2-seaters anyway, especially at a young age). The small, light, RWD Miata, though, is worthless in the snow.....the mid-engined MR2, with the engine/drivetrain weight closer to the rear wheels, only slightly better.
Old 05-30-11, 12:20 PM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Some Toyota dealers will do service and repairs on Lexus products, for significantly cheaper prices than Lxus shops, as long as no warranty-work is required. I had some things done for my old Lexus IS300 at a Toyota shop where I knew the Service Manager well.

True.....and if you drive a substantial number of miles in bad weather, you'll be glad to have a Subaru.

Before you buy an MR2, though, check out a used Mazda Miata. They are quite reliable, generally not driven as hard or ragged-out as MR2's, are in far greater supply on the used-car market, and generally have lower insurance premiums (though you usually pay high premiums for 2-seaters anyway, especially at a young age). The small, light, RWD Miata, though, is worthless in the snow.....the mid-engined MR2, with the engine/drivetrain weight closer to the rear wheels, only slightly better.
Ehhghhh, I'm sure the Miata itself is a good car, but I cannot stand convertibles.
Old 05-30-11, 05:08 PM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

I also want you guys to know that even if I do get an MR2, I won't leave this forum. It has one of the best online communities I've ever communicated with.
Old 05-30-11, 09:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LunaVyohr

I'm sure the Miata itself is a good car, but I cannot stand convertibles.
Bolt-on hardtops, painted body-color, are available for older-generation Miatas.....I'm not sure about the newer ones. Newer ones also have a power-folding-hardtop option, so you don't have to put up with the problems and insecurity of a rag-top. But, Hey, if a Miata is just not for you, I understand.

I also want you guys to know that even if I do get an MR2, I won't leave this forum. It has one of the best online communities I've ever communicated with.
Thanks. We're glad to have you. And you are correct about the forum. I didn't leave it after I sold my Lexus, either. In fact, we have some CL moderators and staff that don't drive Lexus products either.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-30-11 at 10:03 PM.
Old 05-30-11, 10:23 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

If you have a salary of $1,700-$2,500, then why not just lease a new car?
Old 05-30-11, 10:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Incredible
If you have a salary of $1,700-$2,500, then why not just lease a new car?
I'll let him answer your question for himself, but, leasing, of course, with its wear-and-tear clauses, yearly mileage-restrictions, and stiff early-termination penalties, is not for everyone.
Old 05-30-11, 10:39 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know many young people his age that lease cars. Probably not only cuz all the terms that come with leasing a car, but you can't mod it as freely, insurance is higher on new cars, etc.
Old 05-31-11, 08:27 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Winters are no problem if he has tires like these:

Old 05-31-11, 10:03 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How good is the heater and heated seat on that m/c?

Quick Reply: Help an excited 19 year old buy their car!